Lirr Atc

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by smcallister84, Aug 30, 2021.

1. smcallister84

smcallister84 New Member

Hi everyone
    Having mastered PZB, I thought I'd move onto using ATC on LIRR. Having read the LIRR manual, my understanding was that, for example, if the in cab display shows 60mph as Maximum Authorised Speed (MAS), I can drive at that speed even if the 'maximum permitted speed' indicator show a lower speed on the HUD. Therefore at various points of the journey the HUD indicates that you are overspending but the ATC function knows you are travelling at or just below the MAS shown on the in the in cab display. However, I have now landed a silver medal having been awarded only 15 points at various stages of the journey for seemingly travelling over speed according to the HUD. Have I misunderstood ATC? Any help / info would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone :D

2. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Hi there and welcome.
    With the ATC on LIRR and Boston, as I understand it there are two speed limiting factors: the physical line speed which is fixed, and the authorised speed as dictated by the signalling (ATC or ACSES). You should therefore always obey the lowest of the two.

3. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

Also, it might be worth pointing out that on a lot of routes if you travel at exactly the allowed speed then more often than not you will get 15 points for speeding. 60mph (for example) could be anything between 60mph - 60.9mph and because there's no leeway you will inadvertently trigger the "driving over the speed limit" message and incur a points penalty.

4. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

A bit frustrating because there is an inconsistency between the Action Points HUD and speedometer HUD to what it considers speeding.

>x.9mph - overspeeding on speedometer HUD (turns yellow)
    >x.4mph - overspeeding on Action Points HUD

Looks like something got adjusted at some point because it's >x.9mph in TSW2020.

• Like Like x 1
  5. smcallister84

smcallister84 New Member

Thanks everyone. On every journey thus far on LIRR, the maximum permitted speed (shown on HUD) always shows a speed lower than ATC indicates according to signals, and by default I wondering what is the need to turn ATC on if travelling at or under the maximum permitted speed shown on HUD should be adhered to. Will roll with it for a now and see if there is an occasion where ATC tells me a lower speed than the MPS displayed on HUD. Cheers