Dovetail Live Forums Under Attack?

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by conniethunder, Aug 30, 2021.

1. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

This morning GMT, I couldn't access the forums due to my browser blocking the site due to no https.
    Was this the case or something else?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

Yeah it went down fir a bit but it's all fine now I believe

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Certificate glitch. Rectified once people go in the system (it's a bank holiday in the UK so probably "wake the heck up" phone calls were made)

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I have that every time I look here using Android + Google Chrome

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. eire007

eire007 Active Member

Heavens above. The forums could not be accessed. God forbid you actually had to go for a walk and get some fresh air or even worse talk to someone in your household lol

6. conniethunder

I think you completely missed my point of the seriousness of cyber attacks!
    DTG isn't a huge company and a DOS attack or hacking would be a serious issue for them. Kids do this kind of thing for fun these days.

7. ARuscoe

Or, just idle curiosity that a website had a certificate error... (and not everyone HAS a household)

Wasn't that, the certificate was showing the wrong date. That's what the error code showed

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Every time there's a certificate date glitch someone inevitably shows up concerned it means something more sinister. I do wonder if browsers need some kind of plain language for non-tech savvy people option which explains these are fine and normal and just happen.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. ARuscoe

That's what google's for (in these instances). A less than two minute search revealed what was going on. It did mean I had to use edge rather than chrome for an hour though, because for some reason google decided not to let me go past the error even though I knew it was nothing to worry about

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. conniethunder

That was my problem.
    My browser refused to let me view the site so I assumed that the site was under attack. If it had been a 404, then I would have known just server issues.
    Anyway, I now know about certificate errors. Thanks all!

11. ARuscoe

"Server issues" can be all sorts of things, unfortunately IT geeks normally like to bury such things in an error code unintelligible to anyone who doesn't speak their language

12. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

If the site was being DOSed it wouldn't give you a warning, that's not how denial of service attacks work. Basically a DOS attack is basically having tons of users go on to page at once to try and max out the server capacity. Basically think about what happens when you start up tons of programs on your computer, when you start up enough of them the computer starts slowing to a crawl. Your computer may be running fine on a technical level, but it's simply hit its limit in terms of how much it processes. The same logic applies to a DDOS, after all servers are just fancy computers. It would attempt to load it for a while, and then it would quit eventually and tell you to try and reload, simple as that.

Also a DOS attack isn't really that much of a threat, it's not gonna expose your info or anything like that. And generally speaking ain't gonna have long lasting effects, going back to the computer example if you shut down all those programs it will be running just like nothing had ever happened to it. Once you stop spamming the server with users it likewise would act just like it has always been before the attack. It would just be annoying sure, but you wouldn't be having to worry about your bank account emptying suddenly though.

So long stories short don't worry about them, honestly there's more of a chance of Colonel Failure stealing your info than any cyber criminal. And personally I'm not overly worried about the former happening, so I don't think it's worth worrying about the latter either.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 1