Route Change Portal

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Jonne1184, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Jonne1184

Jonne1184 Well-Known Member

Hi All,

a suggestion thread for a new London Underground route had me thinking a bit. We currently have some routes which share stations. Currently its GWE and the Bakerloo Line at Paddington, as well as RRO and RSN at Hagen. Upcoming are the Brighton Main Line and East Coast Line at Brighton.

As I do understand, it is not planned to connect these routes in the near future, but I would like to make a suggestion which may be easier to realise and still make those routes feel somewhat connected: Add a portal to those stations to switch routes on foot while remaining time, weather and date. Most suitable would probably be Paddington. Lets say you exit the Underground via its stairs and you will get a prompt asking you if you would like to switch to GWE. If you confirm, the game will spawn you at Paddington main line and you can continue in the timetable mode there.

Share your thoughts!

• Like Like x 14
  2. aaronbrall#7894

aaronbrall#7894 Active Member

Considering the game would have to unload and reload pretty much everything, i doubt this would be possible without crashes

• Like Like x 1
  3. hasse#8149

hasse#8149 Member

I think that’s a good suggestion. Would be even easier to implement in Brighton. Just walk to a place and switch routes there maybe when passing to the platforms with the London departures or something.

• Like Like x 2
  4. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Really excellent idea but the thing with Rhein-Ruhr Osten with Ruhr-Sieg Nord the step you mentioned only applies to passenger trains. Freight Trains are a different story at Hagen is that you must use DB BR363 or Vossloh G6 to break them up then combine the Train onwards to Wuppertal Steinbeck yard. That will be carried out at Hagen Gbf which is actually north of the main station on RSN

5. Jonne1184

Jonne1184 Well-Known Member

Its no different than heading back to the main menu and join different route timetable on foot mode. You would just leave out the selection process.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

As Jonne1184 says, it would just be like heading back to the menu to change routes, but slicker and faster. To make it more natural, they could have a little rail info booth at the station and when you walk up to it, it gives you the option of switching between routes - if you choose the overlapping route, you'd appear at the booth in the same place, at the same time, as though you'd spawned on foot with those settings.

Rail_information_booth,_Victoria_Station_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1094509.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Not sure how hard it would be, but can't the scenario portals that you find in timetable mode be reprogrammed to instead spawn us onto a different route with the same time/weather? I guess the game also needs to check whether you first own the route to be teleported to.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Don't see this as too much different to the various scenario markers that are in game at the moment. If the station tile is the same in both routes it could have the scenario markers for both and then have the scenario load in when the correct location and key press is initiated

9. hasse#8149

hasse#8149 Member

Exactly. It’s just a shortcut between routes with a little loading time, but on location. Also this would require you to enter the game at the same coordinates in on foot mode. And this would do this for you. Even better would be some in game possibility to just walk between routes if you owned them, BUT that would be a much bigger efffort. This is good enough

10. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know that it WOULD be a big effort. So long as the station map tile was the same in both routes and had the same coordinates a link to the scenario or timetable mode would be as simple as getting on the right train or clicking the right scenario marker (these already reload you into the train even within the same route)