[hrr] Completely Broken Nighttime Lighting

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by gogglesguy, Aug 22, 2021.

1. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

Ray Tracing in this context is just ‘another’ way of creating shadows. The way DTG have done it in the past clearly wasn’t working so the opportunity to introduce RT was at least a small glimmer of hope because, to be frank, the lighting in almost all DLC for TSW could swing from the beautiful to the painful within a matter of seconds. All too often it was just plain awful.

Here is an example. 4.26, same service a few miles apart. The inconsistency can be infuriating given how long TSW has now been out.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

As I’ve said above though, I’ve yet to see this nonsense on the Boston route. For all the world it looks like a really big leap forward. Hopefully they will now be able to build on this and keep taking it forward. Hopefully they will do so more than once a year.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  2. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

This is ECW, which has basically been untouched since 4.16. I'm sure once Adam's team get their hands on it they will make it look a lot better. It still utilises the old TSW 1 skybox.

• Like Like x 2
  3. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

If you hadn’t read my previous post re Boston that second post likely won’t make a huge amount of sense as taken on its own it’s out of context.

• Like Like x 1
  4. londonmidland

One thing I hope DTG gets rid of, or at least tones down, is this really ugly fog effect every time it rains. It's just so poor looking and doesn't look good at all.
    TSW2_Josh_1630021819_00.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  5. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

yes

6. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

you go to changer

7. dbrunner#4864

dbrunner#4864 Well-Known Member

The examples provided by you show exactly how horrendous the light system is in the game and can go crazy from on hour to another. Beside this some of the issues are that now it seems that cab occlusion is completely broken and you get lit up cab walls and ceiling even during early morning or night 05-01 hours. It seems to occur more often now since RH is out since i don't remember this issues occurring before.
    So for me priorities would be
    1. Fix the overall lighting for all weather and hours
    2. Do a run on all locomotives and make sure the occlusion for the lighting is working properly because to me it seems to have gotten worse since RH, and i don't know about you guys but running a late early service and seeing the cab lit up more than what the headlights lit in front of you in pitch black env is really upsetting.

• Like Like x 3
  8. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I was just playing on great western earlier. Never actually done a night scenario but found a nice little 20 minute run. I quite liked looking at a little green dot and nothing else until I pulled up at a station and noticed the carriage lights were not on in the 166 I think it is (the other one to the 43). Anyhow found the light, thought that looked nice and left the station.

I thought I would have a dabble with the 8 cam and it was this point I found out the cabin lights are so furious they shine through the roof or the roof is made of paper.
    Screenshot (112).png

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

Not related to HRR specifically, but I believe it's the same bug. Look at this "beauty" on Rapid transit

[​IMG]

Please note that there was no lamp above: just a light shining on the loco coming out of nowhere

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

Plenty of these on RRO too

11. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

sigh.jpg

Looks like its nothing we are going to avoid in the new route either.

• Like Like x 1
  12. chieflongshin

is that just the station lighting being cranked up?

• Like Like x 1
  13. londonmidland

It’s the transition between the stations baked lighting and the dynamic lighting. Although I don’t get why they always make it such as harsh transition between the two?

• Like Like x 1
  14. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

Are they important? Absolutely. But let's keep in mind that are higher-priority issues that must come first for the preserved crew, such as game-breaking bugs that affect scenarios from being completed.

15. chieflongshin

you realise how long it took to fix freight exchange? :D
    I’ll take the lighting first please

• Like Like x 1
  16. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

What good is lighting if you can't progress in a journey? :D
    (Sure, there are other things to do besides scenarios, but no one should have to wait that long for a game-breaking bug to be fixed.)

• Like Like x 2
  17. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

This issue with core and they should be CORE systems like Weather or improved skyboxes and the importance of them been tackled sooner rather than later has already played out time and time again. That issue is for each new content released is another item left for the preserved collection team to handle to retrofit in the future, we also have 3rd party developers who do not have such a team, so that content is now stuck on older skyboxes or weather systems going forward.

The issue of what is more valuable to who is personal preference at the end of the day, for me I have no interest in scenarios they offer little gameplay for the amount of development time spent on them and frankly i don't find them remotely interesting to play again.
    For me the meat of TSW2 has always been service mode, its expandable, provides a ton of content . each service can offer something new in the way of traffic patterns and substitutions and that variability and replayablity would only be improved if a system such as real-time or dynamic weather was addressed and id argue it offers far more gameplay variety vs developer effort in the long run. Anyway that's off topic for this thread so i shall get in my box now.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  18. londonmidland

ASRGT I agree with what you're saying. Having to go back to routes to upgrade their skyboxes its clearly very time consuming (even if its a click of a few buttons). It needs to be part of the core game, so if they upgrade it further the preservation team won't need to repeat the whole lengthy process again.

I'd love to see dynamic and/or real time weather in TSW. It'd make it feel so much more alive and realistic.

• Like Like x 5
  19. chieflongshin

I've really been hitting the night services a lot more lately. Just did a freight RRO one. I see what you mean londonmidland about the blue light in the cab. Every now and again too I thought I turned the light on in the cab, it wasn't it was a step change in lighting that happened and then went off again.

• Like Like x 1