Boston Safety Systems

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by goochdog#5870, Aug 29, 2021.

1. goochdog#5870

goochdog#5870 Well-Known Member

I’m struggling to suss out some of the safety features on the Boston locos . Does anyone know of anywhere I can get some info . I looked on YouTube and mostly saw people struggling with them or not explaining them . The nearest I’ve come to seeing anything useful was Matt the other week but he didn’t really go into detail . I’m ok with alerters and i assume the ATC is the same as on Long Island but not much of a clue on ACSES . Any ideas would be grateful

• Like Like x 2
  2. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

A jolly good question, and one I am trying to find an answer to.

They are even more puzzling when sometimes the speed limit difference is so much more different between them and the track limit. My first run on the route didn't have a clue what they were, (not much better now), decided to drive by the track limit. Big mistake, not only did I think the train was going to fall over because of all the swaying from side to side, I thought my TV was going to fall over.

A bit more cautious now but would be nice to know what they mean.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

I believe that Matt should cover it in the stream on Friday. Which is a US signalling stream but he should hopefully include the safety stream.
    TrainSim-Matt Could you cover safety systems on Boston Sprinter aswell as signals. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. delucadomenico2009

delucadomenico2009 Active Member

Not easy to answer. As you said, atc and allert works perfect as on other route. Acses is the really big problem. First one, keep in mind that it doesn't works good on the route and needs a patch. Second one, go make it easy acses works similar to lzb or tvm. It inform you of the current speed and predict the incoming speed and signal too. Tha problem is that..... it not works. Expetially on the mtba cab car. On the previw stream matt said to set the brake on suppression when the speed chage and slow down until the new speed but this is not the correct function. The acses has a braking curve, that if you exced it the system will apply the emergency stop. And this part is ok. The problem ln the route is that the acses inform you about the new speed around 500yd before the change. And you need to immediatly set the brake on suppression and acknowledge the system. This is the easy part, than there are a lot of situation. If you want i can try to explain them. Tips. Do not activate the allerter on f40 because seems to be the problem of the random penalty stop.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. goochdog#5870

goochdog#5870 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

7. x-topher

x-topher New Member

Is this why I'll just randomly hear the air in the brake pipes drop and i just stop, it has me confused am i doing something wrong?

• Like Like x 1
  8. xsaw2121

xsaw2121 Active Member

Boston sprinter safety systems right now are just completely out of whack they know about it and they're working on it there should be a patch coming hopefully within the next week or two

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. universal.chris

universal.chris Active Member

I didn't realize they were out of whack. I seem to manage okay in the cab car, but it took me awhile to realize the circle button doesn't acknowledge the (speedbox?) safety system in the loco like it does in the cab car. Couldn't figure out why the train kept stopping itself.

• Like Like x 1
  10. delucadomenico2009

Yes, this is the problem. Sometimes the authomatic brakes rondomly apply itself. If it happens, set the brakes to release, than than close and open again the cut-valve. If the brakes still be apply, switch off and than again on the acses system....... this will reset the brakes. I know it is just like a puzzle but this happen with a compilation of bugs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. delucadomenico2009

Exactily, on the f40 you need to manual press the red button on the ADU (speedbox). On the cab car it is easy. It's is just for show, because doesn't work. You will never got a panalty stop at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. universal.chris

universal.chris Active Member

Oh wow thanks for the info, I was super excited at how well I was making out in the cab car with only a mild idea of what I was doing. In the f40 I found it really difficult to use the thumbsticks to find the acknowledge button on the ADU while trying to brake. Too much for me to handle in a panic with the alarm going off apparently

• Like Like x 1
  13. delucadomenico2009

Yes, it is not "easy" to press it with the pad. However do not go in panic. When you see the allarm increase the brake force to suppression, than release them to 10 - 20% (DO NOT fully release them or the acses will detect an unsafety situation and apply the the emergency stop) and slow down to the new speed. However the system is easy to understand but the bug with signals makes it difficul to learn. However it is possible to stay in time with the service, just the boston -> providence no, for an abnormal restriction after south attelboro

• Helpful Helpful x 1