Acs-64 Auto-brake Suggestions

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by blazingsoup, Aug 31, 2021.

1. blazingsoup

blazingsoup Member

Howdy,

Apologies if this isn't the right place for this, my first time posting here, been avid player of the game ever since I discovered it a few weeks back, got through all the base routes, and now doing Boston Sprinter, and was able to get through it through Google and finding lots of great answers here, but I've finally reached something I haven't found a clear answer for.

I just completed the the ACS-64 tutorial, and it all seemed fairly straightforward (other than the constant wheel-slip in snow), but one thing that frustrated me and actually made me have to restart once cause I overshot, was using the automatic brakes, the braking feels extremely unresponsive, and feels even slower than the commuter train...even adding 75% brake from a mile out, with 50% from the locomotive brake, and I still almost missed it. Am I missing something, or is this just how it is (at least in snow)? After using the electric trains in Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Aachen, I guess I was expecting that same responsiveness on the brakes with all electric trains.

Anyways, sorry for the long-winded explanation, and thanks.

EDIT: I spent so long using German electric that I didn't realize the dynamic brake and auto brake are on separate controls -_-, my apologies for not realizing something so obvious.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  2. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

The autobrake seems okay for me I think. It probably is a bit slower in rain.
    There's a combined throttle brake lever but the tutorials don't seem to mention the brake part of that lever. Do drivers use it in the real world? What's it for? Thanks.
    iirc, Matt said on one of the streams that the autobrake lever creates a blend of braking automatically anyway.

3. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

The combined power/brake lever is for the dynamic brakes only I believe so will work the same way as it does on the US diesel locos. You would use it to control the train speed on incline over long distances rather than constantly using the train brakes.

As with the FP40 the auto brake lever uses a combination of train brakes and dynamic brake when used from my experience on the route so far.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

That makes sense WaveyDavey. So the Autobrake is for most slowing down (and is required if you use ACSES or ATC and are travelling faster than a new speed limit that comes up on the display).

And dynamic brake for hills. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  5. delucadomenico2009

delucadomenico2009 Active Member

The autobrakes works good. As a drive we use it or dinamic or electric brakes just to menage the speed during the run. For exemple near the speed limit. However a good thing that you can do is set autobrakes to max, and than start to brake with the automatic ones. With rain or snow set it to 50% a than use the automatic. If you run at 125mph you need around 1.5 miles to stop the train with a "normal" brake sequence. Also set the automatic: to suppression if you think you are running to fast. Ps. As the acses doesn't works good, to not loose too time, when it changes speed, for exemple from 120 to 60, acknowledge the signal, set the train brake to suppression to neutralize the acses and than move the brake around 10% and use the autobrake to slow down

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1