How Do I Use Afb?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Purno, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Somehow I never really managed to find out how to use AFB on TSW. After TrainSim-Matt showing it on the Dresden preview, and it'd be as simple as pressing Ctrl+R to enable AFB and then setting the speed, I thought I'd try it myself. Don't have the DB BR101 though, so I gave it a try with the DB BR146.2 on HRR.

Doesn't work. No clue what I'm doing wrong. Pressed Ctrl+R, and checked that the AFB Main Switch is actually on. It doesn't display a blue bar on the HUD speedometer like it did for Matt. That's the first thing I spotted. Then I figured it may just be a HUD error so I set the speed to 10 and gave some throttle. Train exceeds the 10km/h, so apparently AFB isn't working.

What the hell am I doing wrong and why does Matt make it look so simple to use AFB, but everytime I try to follow these simple steps it just doesn't work?

I've used AFB for hundreds of hours in good old Train Simulator, but never managed to properly learn how to activate it in TSW...

2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Before turning AFB on, you need to make sure the train is at a standstill and the throttle is in the off position. If turning AFB on at this point doesn’t work, or when the train is moving, move the throttle to the off position. Move the AFB lever to maximum speed and then turn on AFB. You can then move the AFB lever to the desired speed and use the throttle again.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Yeah AFB doesn't turn on if you turn it on while you're moving in some trains, the MSB ones included. It should work while you're at a standstill though?

4. Nikubus

Nikubus New Member

if we're talking about a cold start, your train must have power from the lines and the reverser is in the forward position.
    then you can press Ctrl+R and set AFB with R and F
    if your train is moving, move the throttle to idle or off, set AFB to max with R and then press Ctrl+R to enable it

• Like Like x 1
  5. KoeleKoen

KoeleKoen Well-Known Member

Since the last update turning on afb in the 146 is broken, only at standstill can you activate it, i've seen it reported many times but no response from dtg whether this is meant to be or not, i entered a support ticket nonetheless

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Things to keep in mind:
    • Not every train has AFB, so make sure the one you are trying to use it with has it.
    • There are different steps to enable AFB when the train is stopped and when the train is moving.
      • When the train is stopped:
      1. Throttle to OFF.
      2. Set AFB to On (CTRL + R). You will see the blue AFB marker in the UI speed indicator.
      3. Select the desired cruise speed (R to increase, F to decrease).
      4. Apply power.
      • When the train is moving:
      1. Throttle to OFF
      2. Set AFB to the maximum speed (Press R until you do not see UI messages telling you that AFB speed is changing).
      3. Set AFB to On (CTRL + R). You will now see the blue AFB speed bar and marker in the UI speed indicator.
      4. Set AFB to the desired cruise speed (F to reduce the speed).
      5. Apply power.

PS: If you just started a service, make sure the train is started and the reverser is set forward or reverse. You must have the train ready to move before you follow any of the steps.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Confirmed.

I'm pretty sure this is a bug and not intended.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

So I've just been unlucky and picked a bugged BR146 to try this?

Which locos are safe to try and have functional AFB?

9. Clumsy Pacer

ICE 3/3M, although the set-up for AFB is rather different (you have to use the MFD).

The MSB 146 and 185 should be fine if you enable AFB when not moving. Will try the RSN and RRO 185. The Rapid Transit 182's AFB works fine

10. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Try the 182 from RT. The 185 at RSN seems to work fine too.
    If you do not have any of those let me know what german DLCs you have and I will find another one.

11. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Don't own the 182.

I do own the ones with the blue marker.
    upload_2021-9-1_17-23-52.png

12. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Try the DB BR 185 from the Ruhr-Sieg Nord DLC.
    Keep in mind that freight trains need some time to release brakes.

I just tested it with service DB 80214 starting at 10:10 am.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. Clumsy Pacer

So, MSB+204, RSN+155+363, RRO, HRR.
    I've just tried the RSN BR185 and MRCE 185 and they both work fine to enable it either while moving or not (make sure the reverser is in forward).

May be worth noting the 143 in RSN uses AFB all the time.

14. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Just added to my previous post a service and start time that I just used to make sure it works for me so you can replicate the same.

15. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

My ownership list though not quite as extensive is similar. Jesus that's a scary number when you see it like that.

16. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Still considerably less than my DLC collection for Train Simulator. Built up over several years. Hobbies come at a cost. Considering the amount of time I've enjoyed both games, pretty good value IMO.

• Like Like x 3