Frankfurt S-bahn (s8 / S9)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by FabkeSK, Sep 1, 2021.

1. FabkeSK

FabkeSK Member

Introduction
    Hello. I would like to see more S-Bahn routes in the game. For some time, I was looking for an interesting route that would not be too long and at the same time too short. Finally, I chose the Frankfurt S-Bahn, specifically the S8 and S9 lines. I noticed that other members of this forum have already made suggestions, but for the S5 and S6 lines. Personally, these lines do not seem so interesting to me, so I decided to create this suggestion.

About route
    Lines S8 and S9 share much of their route. Both lines start their journey at Wiesbaden Hbf. The S8 line continues to Mainz Hbf, where it connects to the Main Railway, which continues to Frankfurt Hbf (tief). From there it continues through the city tunnel to Hanau Hbf where it ends its journey. The S9 line uses the Taunus Eisenbahn to Kostheim. There it joins the Mainz bypass, which takes him to Bischofsheim. From there it continues in the same way as the S8 line to Hanau Hbf. I have attached a map below to make it more obvious.

Trains RE2 and RE3 also use this route. Both lines start at Frankfurt Hbf from where they continue via the Frankfurt Airport Loop to Mainz. RE2 continues to Koblenz Hbf and RE3 continues to Saarbrücken Hbf. There are also a few ICE trains on this route.

DLC content
    This DLC would of course be too long if it included both S-lines, Regional Expresses and ICE services. ICE trains use Frankfurt Flughafen Fernbahnhof, but all other trains use Regionalbahnhof. In addition, there are only about 3 or 4 ICE trains running here, so it would be a bit pointless to build an approximately 13 km long link for these trains. For this reason, I would not include ICE trains in this DLC at all. Thanks to this saving, we can include a busy city tunnel for the S lines. Otherwise, the S lines would have to end at Frankfurt Hbf (tief).

S lines could start at Wiesbaden Hbf and end at Offenbach Ost. The length of this route through Mainz Hbf is approximately 60 km. The length of the connection between Wiesbaden Ost and Mainz-Bischofsheim, which is used by the S9 line, is approximately 11 km. When we count it, the length of the whole route is 71 km. (I used the Google Maps Measure Distance Tool because I couldn't find the exact distance anywhere)

Map of the network
    [​IMG]

Rolling Stock
    DB BR 430
    DB BR 430 is an electrical unit designed for S-Bahn in Germany. These new units replaced the old DB BR 420.
    [​IMG]

DB BR 425
    DB BR 425 is an electrical unit known from the DLC Hauptstrecke Rhein Ruhr. Provides services on Rhein Main S-Bahn lines. They replaced the old DB BR 420.
    [​IMG]

DB BR 423
    DB BR 423 is an electrical unit that we already know from DLC Hauptstrecke München Augsburg. In addition, it also provides services on the Rhein-Main S-Bahn lines. They also replaced the old DB BR 420.
    [​IMG]

DB BR 420
    DB BR 420 is a very popular and well-known electrical unit. As we already know TSG is currently working on the development of this unit for the game. This unit is still appearing on this route, although it has been replaced by newer and more modern units.
    [​IMG]

Stadler FLIRT 3
    Stadler FLIRT is intended as its name suggests for Fast Light Intercity and Regional Transport. There are several variants and generations of this unit. FLIRT 3 is used on this route. It operates the RE2 line.
    [​IMG]

Alstom Coradia LINT
    Alstom Coradia LINT are flexible vehicles that are produced in several variants. Specifically, 2 versions of LINT 54 and LINT 81 are used on this route. The difference between them is in the number of wagons. LINT 81 units contain an extra wagon inserted in the middle of the set. These trains are used on lines RE 3, RB 31 and RB 33.
    [​IMG]

Interesting places
    I chose this route mainly because of the interesting places mentioned below. Most of them are bridges, but all are unique in their own way. It's better to see the video because the photos can't capture the differences.

The Kaiserbrücke (Mainz) runs across the River Rhine and Petersaue Island.
    [​IMG]

Südbrücke (Mainz) also runs over the Rhine. Not far from the Kaiserbrücke (Mainz).
    [​IMG]

Eisenbahnbrücke Hochheim over the river Rhine on the bypass between Bischofsheim and Kostheim.
    [​IMG]

Old and new Niederräder bridges over the river Rhine.
    [​IMG]

Frankfurt City Tunnel - All stations look similar, but each is a little different.
    [​IMG]

Offenbach City Tunnel - All stations look the same. However, they look more modern than the Frankfurt City Tunnel.
    [​IMG]

Services
    Lines S8 and S9 are currently not running on Wiesbaden Hbf due to repair work on the damaged bridge!
    I could not find the exact timetable. The information below may not be completely accurate.

S8 Wiesbaden Hbf – Offenbach Ost (- Hanau Hbf) [every 30 minutes, nonstop operation]
    S9 Wiesbaden Hbf – Hanau Hbf [every 30 minutes, nonstop operation]
    RE2 Frankfurt Hbf – Mainz Hbf (- Koblenz Hbf) [every 2 hours, during day]
    RE3 Frankfurt Hbf – Mainz Hbf (- Saarbrücken Hbf) [every 2 hours, during day]
    RB31 and RB33 (I was unable to find it)
    These are not all trains that use this route. There are still many options for AI trains.

Cabviews
    All videos from this route are out of date. These were the latest I found. The videos are missing the newly built Frankfurt Gateway Gardens station.

S8 Offenbach Ost – Wiesbaden Hbf

S9 (Hanau Hbf -) Offenbach Ost – Wiesbaden Hbf

Conclusion
    Thank you for reading this far. I spent hours searching, writing and translating this suggestion. I think it would be great one day to see the Frankfurt S-Bahn in this game. Let me know below what you think of this suggestion. I will be very grateful for any comments.

Fun fact: Believe it or not, the S8 line has already been built into the Train Simulator within the DLC Frankfurt - Koblenz.

• Like Like x 8
  2. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea and for DB BR420 Frankfurt Am Main S-Bahn it uses Roll signs S8/S9 Hanau via Flughafen Frankfurt instead of electronic sign.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cash

Cash Well-Known Member

Amazing suggestion, I would love this see this route come to TSW2!

• Like Like x 1