Why Are Locos So Different?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by hasse#8149, Aug 30, 2021.

1. hasse#8149

hasse#8149 Member

A lot of controls are similar on the different locos. But there are some strange things. The Electrostars 375/377/387 and the 465 EMUs seem similar but there are some differences as i presume there are in real life. Why are there so much differences in how they work?

3xx you can not switch interior light on/off buttons are behind the driver but not active.
    377 I can not walk through all cars . I get stuck. Can open doors between cars but can not pass through. Exiting one car and entering the next have the same result. I can walk through the car but not back to the first.
    3xx on both destinations board is semi auto. You can set it manually AND id is automatically set when a scheduled route starts.
    465 you can not manually set the destination board. But if you go off rails and run a different route it can display those destinations too.

This all make for an inconsistent experience. I understand that if PIS is nog implemented like on GWR for now, destinations are a part of it. That’s fine, but not the lack of control over dest. Boards on the 465. Should be fixed.

Also time table mode for all. Why no scheduled arrival time? Surely that would be an easy one to implement.

2. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

I presume when it comes to the actual real world reasons for notable differences between some of them, it's for the same reason as say, web browser design has constantly degraded over the last 7 years: the barely-trained chimps that dropped out of clown school who they hire as engineers to design it jump in with limited understanding of why a given interface has endured for so long, due to it being constantly improved upon and refined with each iteration, and say "I can do better than this", then proceed to throw out decades of established conventions designed around usability, familiarity, and the needs of those interacting with it in favour of something that "feels fresh".

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

It’s just a case of when they are developed, the 375 is basically the same model as the 377 with some visual tweaks needed to get it into SouthEastern livery, then the PIS system has been updated to include the correct destinations, but not been made dynamic.

The 465 is the latest model of the 3 you listed to be built so that has the dynamic PIS which is the most recent iteration (at the time it was built), it cannot have selectable PIS as they have not built a system for the code input which the IRL train uses.

4. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

And unfortunately, attempting to implement more systems in the sim always runs the risk of breaking something, so DTG need to be a bit careful when looking into adding the full feature set of some locos so they don't break existing mechanics.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kt291076

kt291076 Active Member

The 375 and 377 you can change through the PIS. The 465 is automatically done. It will change to the correct destination when the service is due to begin. When it says load passengers a minute or two before the service is due to depart is when the destination board changes.

6. hasse#8149

hasse#8149 Member

I know. That’s what I’m talking about. Why this difference? The 375/377 also change automatically when its time to start the route. But since in scenario planner routes there are no arrival time on the routes and the 465 shows blank destination whereas on the 375/377 you can manually set it. Also on the German S-Bahn trains you can set the destination, in fact there you HAVE to manually set the destination even in time table mode. This differences in behavior is annoying to say the least

7. HaibaraHariko

HaibaraHariko Active Member

Because they decided to change it from manual to automatic. I don't think it's that annoying though.

Also after the MSB update we have a new semi-automatic system now. While it automatically set the destination at the beginning of a service, you can still manually select another one from a list. Maybe they will apply this to future trains.

8. hasse#8149

hasse#8149 Member

Sure hope so. That’s the way the 375/377 work now. But even better, it should be a setting

9. HaibaraHariko

HaibaraHariko Active Member

No. In Class 375 and 377 you can only choose from a fixed list, while with the new system the list varies from each route. There's no need to create a new list for each new route now as the game can generate it automatically.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

Every piece of content you see in TSW was built from the ground up by the developers. Every system, even the physics, is completely separate from one another, even if you compare two very similar locomotives. That may be one reason why all of them work differently in the game. The other is the real-life differences of course, every model is upgraded, has different systems, etc. Again, it's unknown what the developers aim to model on a given locomotive, they might be built (in-game) with different mindsets and by different people. This is why something may work on one in a way and in a different way on a different loco. It's a simulator but not a 1:1 representation of reality.

One of the funniest thing is the number of Talent-2 locomotives in the game, and all are different, even in their physics, because every time they do a route with this loco in it, they start from scratch.