Would Driving Without Afb Being Activated Be Unrealistic?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Zdx, Sep 4, 2021.

1. Zdx

Zdx New Member

Does anyone know if real drivers are obliged to use AFB? I get bored while using LZB when AFB is activated, however I find driving on LZB without it very fun and rewarding. Just wondering if this is something real drivers would do.

2. aglomarsale

aglomarsale Well-Known Member

if they want

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, trains running over 160 km/h are required to have both LZB and AFB active; DB basically doesn't trust a human driver at those speeds and insists on computer control.

4. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

That would be news to me. Especially considering you are not supposed to let the LZB/AFB interlock slow you down while under LZB supervision. You are supposed to slow down manually before AFB starts interfering.

That being said, Fernverkehr trains (ICEs and ICs) are meant to be run with AFB. Regio trains (REs, RBs) are heavily encouraged to use it and with freight trains, it usually comes down to driver preferance alone. There are no rules about AFB being mandatory to my knowledge.

My source on all this are accounts of real drivers over on the Zusi forums.

• Like Like x 3
  5. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about that - the BR 103 had no AFB, but still was allowed to drive faster than 160.

Well okay: The 103 HAD AFB, but it was deactived due to some technical issues. So in effect, it drove without AFB.

• Like Like x 1
  6. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

That was IIRC long ago, before LZB even existed except on a test basis. (Also, the 103 only did 200, it wasn't moving at ICE speeds).

7. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

What was long ago? If you‘re referring to the 103, it never ran faster than 160 km/h without LZB. That‘s how it has always worked in Germany.

Not sure what you mean by ICE speeds. As far as I know, there is no distinction in the rules between 200 km/h and 250+ km/h. If a changing point for rules was inplemented, it would be at 160 km/h, just like the PZB/LZB border. But this wouldn‘t make sense for AFB. It‘s not a safety system. LZB will stop you if you‘re going too fast regardless of the presence and/or use of AFB.