Will My Dlcs Disappear If I Switch From Epic Games To Steam

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by behxistor#5313, Sep 5, 2021.

1. behxistor#5313

behxistor#5313 New Member

Hi people!

I've downloaded the game from Epic Games and bought some DLCs from the in-game store.
    However, since most of the DLCs are available on steam, i wanted to buy a license on steam in order to get access to all the content.

Will i lose the DLCs i've already bought or are they synced to my Dovetail account?

2. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

You will lose anything from Epic.
    Epic and steam are separate stores and do not share licenses.

3. behxistor#5313

So even if i've bought the DLCs from the store in-game, they're linked to the Epic account right?

4. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Correct. The in-game store you see is the one for the platform which you purchased from.

5. behxistor#5313

I see. So there's no way i can get them transferred to my steam account and i'd have to buy them again

6. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

You’re getting the jist here. It’s just a NO :cool:. Think of it in same way as playing tsw ps4 on Xbox. Won’t happen either

Someone has been tinkering with how to do it here but not sure if it was successful

• Like Like x 1
  7. behxistor#5313

Sorry, i just wanted to be sure about it haha.

8. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Yeah go with a no mate. I recall some had managed to move the files between the steam and epic folders but if that is a loophole I’d expect it shut sharpish

• Like Like x 1
  9. behxistor#5313

Ok i see. Thank you very much :)

10. JellyScrub

JellyScrub Active Member

I believe they intent to bring the preserved collection to epic eventually.

11. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Copying the DLCs from Epic's DLC folder to Steam's Paks folder (and vice versa) works perfectly. Obviously this is questionable and has been debated in the other thread at length so do so at your own risk. This loophole has been present since the very beginning as the paks folder has no ownership check

12. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Theoretically it should be possible to use symbolic links to each DLC .pak file instead of copying, although I have not tried it. This would avoid physical file duplication and thus save disk space.

13. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

This seems very much akin to the argument-that-shouldn't-be-an-argument going on about right to repair. Did you buy the damn game or not? If you own it legitimately why should it matter where you get legitimate add-ons?

Harrumph!

• Like Like x 1
  14. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

You don't really buy any software, what you get is a right to use under the conditions of the license. Its up to you to read and understand the license. Buyer beware.

Paul

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Granted but I think my point remains valid even if you get a bit fussier about the phrasing. If you've paid to use the software legitimately why should it matter where you get add-ons that you have also paid to use legitimately? Granted also that it is in the terms of the licence- my argument is that the terms are unreasonable.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

The main issue is that copying them over means they don't get updated by the platform that thinks you don't own it, so you have to keep downloading the updates and copying them over from one platform to the next.

Looking forward, it would only take a small item in the top of the pak file to be added to make them platform specific and then it is game over :)

17. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

You won’t lose them. As long as you have sufficient disc space, I can’t see any reason for not having both versions installed. You can then run the Epic version for the routes you have bought for that and the Steam version for anything else.

18. behxistor#5313

Yeah it's what i'm thinking of doing tbf. Keys for the base game don't even cost too much

19. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

T&C usually heavily favour the vendor. Could this change? Sure. There are signs of consumer action in some areas that could impact software in general.

That said, I think expecting downloads from one platform to be supported on another one is unrealistic. They would come out of different build streams and will likely have differences based on the platform. Right now there doesn't seem to be any checking or enforcement in place which actually surprises me a lot. It may work now but I would not expect it to continue that way.

Paul