Db Br 101 - What And Why?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Factor41, Sep 9, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I've been looking around for info on the DB BR 101 add-on and there seem to be generally positive reviews, with people particularly excited to use it on Nahverkehr Desden, but I can't see anything that's really selling it to me. Can someone enlighten me as to why it's worth buying, particularly when we already have (several versions of) the 146.2 which looks to be pretty much the same. Even the launch article doesn't do much to distinguish it.

Is the 101 the predecessor to the 146? Is it actually completely different or is it just another model in the same family, like the SEHS 375 and EC 377? Is the DLC more about the coaches than the loco? What gives?! :D

2. StokesJH

StokesJH Active Member

The 101 and 146 may have more or less the same looks, but they are completely different. The 101 is a very powerful locomotive and is exceptionally well simulated in TSW. In my opinion, it is the best loc DLC. Harnessing its power requires your attention (the realistic wheel slip forces you to apply power with care), the sound is magnificent. The services driven with the 101 are IC, the 146 is more used for regional services.

• Like Like x 8
  3. Factor41

So if I buy the 101, and it puts me in that for a service, I'll be able to tell right away that it's not a (new version) 146.2? Is there much visual difference in the cabs, or is it the driving experience where they differ?

4. KoeleKoen

KoeleKoen Well-Known Member

You'll notice the difference, also sound wise.

• Like Like x 3
  5. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

The BR101 might be the best locomotive created for TSW yet. I'll quote some posts from the dev to put everything in context.

If you are into that sort of stuff, the BR101 is TS2021 Expert level - or about Armostrong Powerhouse level if you are more into british stuff, especially on the physics and sounds side.

There are some inaccuracies like the secondary screens being lifted from the Traxxes, but overall, in terms of quality, complexity and realism is a full tier above every other loco DLC (maybe except the exceptional Class 465 - a much simpler train).

The 101 deserves to be bought just for the sake of it and how good it is, where you can drive it comes second IMO. HRR is not great (although the services are fun with plenty of PZB action), the services on HBL don't seem too bad and it will probabily be featured in a lot of future german routes in the future (hopefully) so it's only going up in terms of value for money.

It is a completely different driving experience compared to the other locos, it not easy to put my finger on why, buy you can actually "feel" its weight and power unlike the BR146 where it feels like you are directly changing the train's acceleration (maybe it's prototypical) it's hard to describe but hopefully you will notice it as well. The cab uses analogue gauges for the speed and kN meter so it's a different experience than the 146, and is not AFB driven unlike the BR143 and the awful BR112. Also the IC services are very unique obviously.

Show Maik some love, and reward him for all the work he put in it, because it's definitely noticeable when you use that loco, especially compared to the (now old/outdated?) BR146 you won't regret it.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

A lot of German locos from that era look similar as DB specified a corporate look - they do have very different innards with the 101 being a predecessor to the TRAXX family and designed as a single purpose IC loco.

101s are now starting to be withdrawn now - as while the locos still have a lot of life the coaches they haul are coming up to end of life and the replacements will be a mix of IC2s if you are unlucky, ICE 4s (probably with a fare hike as ICEs are Premium fare) and the new ECx Talgo sets currently in build. IC2 and ECx have much more modern locomotives so rather than overhaul they are withdrawing.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  7. lucas_5_5

lucas_5_5 Well-Known Member

Now you can even drive it on Riesa Dresden so the downside of the DLC is not that much.
    For me Is a positive Review. It is the best loco for german content... Won't regret buying it even at full price.

8. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

In terms of the ‘look’ it is similar to the TRAXX family, although it is distinguishable due to it looking a little taller, and the cab is a little more analog.

In terms of driving however it’s a much more powerful loco and you really get that sense, and it sounds great.

You also get to do longer sprints, more typical of the ICE, but in a locomotive, something you can’t really do in the 146.2, you also get to add in the bpmmz coaches which add in variety in terms of single deck passenger coaches.

Right now you don’t get to see much of the 101 (unless you play a lot of HRR), on HHL you only get 2 services, but on NRD you get around 15 so it’s much more visible, adding in something a little more unique for you to pass or drive.

As above, the quality is great, and I highly recommend this one, for me the 101 and BR 465 are the 2 best units they’ve done for TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  9. kevin.charb81

kevin.charb81 Well-Known Member

I enjoy driving the 101 more than any of the ICE's. As others have said, it is truly one of the game's best DLCs

• Like Like x 3
  10. Factor41

Ok, plenty to consider there, thanks.

I don't actually own HRR either yet - is that the one that I need for this? Is that route any good?

While I've just got the Dresen route, I'd be quite inclined to buy this now if it busies up Dresden a bit while I'm playing that. I bought SEHS and the 465 at the same time and found the additional traffic variety pleasing (as well as enjoying the 465 as a DLC).

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  11. kevin.charb81

kevin.charb81 Well-Known Member

Yes you MUST always own the parent route of any loco DLC. HRR was the best German passenger route (also has freight) until Dresden. Crazy busy, high-speed commuter traffic unlike any other, it's a race track for red trains. The fact that Dresden has essentially doubled the total number of services you can drive with the BR 101 is the cherry on top.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. breblimator

breblimator Guest

101 is the must-have. Don't forget about the mandatory 'HRR' purchase. BR o7

• Like Like x 2
  13. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I do enjoy HRR as a route, and the 101 is a joy to drive. I do agree, at first glance, it does look similar to the 146 and 185, but when you put them side-by-side, they're completely different:
    Cab:
    upload_2021-9-10_19-12-46.png
    Skirt (note how the 101 has its wheels partially covered):
    upload_2021-9-10_19-13-6.png
    Profile (101 in the foreground, note it's more slanted and a continuous curve):
    upload_2021-9-10_19-13-50.png
    Front (note the 101's windscreen is narrower, and it has a taller roof):
    upload_2021-9-10_19-14-49.png

And of course the main difference is the 101 can go at 200km/h and you get the Intercity coaches, it also runs very different services. It also sounds and handles very different to the 146.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  14. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Yep you need to buy HRR.

If you have all the layers active (I believe it's MSB and RSN only) it gets really busy on the shared section where S-Bahn, RBs, REs and IC use parallel tracks, I'd say it's about BRD level of traffic. Parallel running and seeing plenty of other trains is not so uncommon, and especially the IC services are full of PZB action.

The obvious downfall of this route is that it's centred around Essen but doesn't really go anywhere, both Bochum and Duigsburg are not termini. so it's a bit awkward, and there are quite a lot of services that actually start in Essen and only drive for ~20 minutes going to basically nowhere, they are quite nice when you don't have much time or just want to familiarise with the trains, but they are too short for me.

The Bochum-Essen-Duigsburg trips are much more enjoyable (especially in the fast tracks - I prefer RRO for the S-Bahn), the BR425 is a very nice train to drive, decently well made and has nice sounds, and again analogue gauges to break the monotony of the BR146/DoStos/BR422, etc...

As I said before IC services while being fun in reality are just RE services missing 2 stops, and make an already too short route even shorter, but they are overall enjoyable.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Yeah. Hopefully we'll get a route where we can use the LZB on the 101 in service mode with a different stopping pattern to the ICEs (like Mannheim-Stuttgart or even Munich-Ingolstadt, although it'd currently be too long to go all the way to Nuremburg, it's like 100 miles the full way). There's probably a player created scenario on Munich somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  16. breblimator

breblimator Guest

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. Factor41

Just in case anyone's following this and considering a purchase, the DB BR 101 is currently causing my PS5 to crash when I try to start any timetable service on the Dresden route. Uninstalled it and everything loads fine - so if you're planning on buying this just for Dresden, maybe wait a bit! ;)

18. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

It works fine on xbox

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. Factor41

Handy to know, cheers. There seem to be quite a few PS-specific issues so separating and nailing down causes is proving complex!

• Like Like x 1
  20. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Don't worry we are having our fair share of problems as well, while the 101 works fine, I'm not sure anyone would actually like to use it.
    Screenshot_20210923-110407_Gallery.jpg
    Not when it looks like that

• Like Like x 4
  21. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Strange. I have played quite a few Br 101 services on Riesa-Dresden on my PS5. No crahses whatsoever.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. Factor41

Curiouser and curiouser! :)

23. goochdog#5870

goochdog#5870 Well-Known Member

And as mentioned elsewhere on the forum , some of us on PS4 cannot access the wonderful 101 on the Dresden route at the mo . Hopefully it will be sorted on the next update

24. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

The DB BR 101 issues with Riesa Dresden on PS 5 (and PS 4) are because for some people the 101 does not show up in the list of available locos in timetable mode. When this happens then every timetable service you try to run will crash whether it’s for the 101 or not. I made a technical report including a workaround for PS5 in the tech reports section. (Can’t link it now, will do it later)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. Factor41

Found it! Think I'd rather uninstall the 101 and wait for a fix than keep deleting/reinstalling Dresden.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Yes, I have fast internet so it doesn’t take long, but I only do the delete reinstall trick when I want to drive the 101. Otherwise I just leave the 101 deleted and Riesa Dresden then works fine most of the time.

It’s a shame, it’s one of the best locomotives, if it was one of the others, I probably wouldn’t care so much.

• Like Like x 1
  27. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I bought the 101 especially to drive on Dresden and before I had a chance, the issue with Dresden disappearing happened, so I’ve been driving it exclusively on HRR for now. The services are short but enjoyable and I can’t wait to drive it for a bit longer when I finally get the Dresden route back. I haven’t been doing the uninstalling trick because I can’t be doing with that kind of hassle, so I’m just waiting to unleash this fine beast on the longer route.

• Like Like x 5
  28. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

You'll enjoy them. You get the sense of actually going somewhere, which is somewhat lacking on HRR. And you still get one on-route stop as well. Here' hoping all of the current Playstation issues will be resolved soon. :)

• Like Like x 4
  29. xihillitzxhingkha

xihillitzxhingkha New Member

Edited by DTG Natster - You do not get to dictate what people have as their profile picture.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2021
  30. Factor41

Removed by DTG Natster - Unhelpful

• Like Like x 4
  31. xihillitzxhingkha

Removed by DTG Natster - Off topic

32. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Please.... pays to be polite and courtesy costs nothing.

In all seriousness why should he? He might well be Taiwanese, I don't know and neither do you.

• Like Like x 1
  33. xihillitzxhingkha

34. Factor41

• Like Like x 1
  35. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

36. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  37. xihillitzxhingkha

:mad:

38. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I personally like the look of train and coaches collectively. I like that I have to pay attention to how I drive it. I fundamentally you’re doing same as other German trains but it just seems to be a real powerhouse. The intercity runs are pretty decent too.

39. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

I concur, it's really is a cracking piece of DLC...now that I can use it on Dresden!

40. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

I have cleaned this up. Thank you for getting back on topic.

xihillitzxhingkha I am losing count of how many threads you have disrupted today. I will encourage you to read the forum rules before you are handed a suspension from posting.

I will remind you to not bring politics into this forum. Additionally bumping old posts and then deleting your comments still bumps the thread and is against the rules.

• Like Like x 2
  41. xihillitzxhingkha

42. razmatus#2517

razmatus#2517 Well-Known Member

been messing with ZDS / multiple loco config (in a timetable service), and here is what I have found:
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...nts-and-driving-help.51751/page-2#post-828134

feel free to add your own findings

sorry that I spread this among more threads (read in forum rules that this isnt exactly good to do), but I thought it might be sth that isnt easy to find elsewhere, and since the interest in BR101 has surged, I thought more ppl might want to know how to handle this functionality :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2024 at 11:46 AM