Rush Hour Performance Fps Some Toughts

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by breblimator, Sep 10, 2021.

1. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Riesa - Dresden looks great. The scenery is very polished (in my opinion), varied and complex. The game gives me a few seconds of freezes in several places. I play with the Resource Monitor turned on today and it's about scenery loading. The load on the CPU, Memory, and GPU is constant. The slide show occurs parallel with a high (up to 100%) disk drive (SSD) load. I realize more RAM could alleviate the problem. I'm curious if anyone is not experiencing these freezes? The other graphics settings do not make any difference to me, possibly they change the average fps, but they do not cause any problems. The SSD <> RAM relationship is unfortunately lame. This is not a complaint, I'm glad the game looks better and better. The View Distance Quality option has gained in importance.

How much RAM would eliminate this problem?
    Does the size of the page file on the disk matter in the case of TSW? *

* Does it work incrementally? For me, it gets worse over time.

BR o7

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2021
  2. Glazier

Glazier Member

The freezes I usually get is when GPU usage drops to 0, probably during the tile loading, no idea why it is EVER loaded with 32 gb of RAM but even so for 970 EVO+ it is not normal. I am used to it and it is not that bad.
    But after installing Riesa - Dresden I got terrible stuttering on the first service I ran. The others - nothing more that usual. Looked like it was compiling new shaders, but I thought the practice of preparing shaders on the fly is already dead. So no other idea why the first run was not good...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Thorgred

Thorgred Active Member

i have 32b gig ram + 10 gig video ram
    i still see an occasional loading freeze sometimes at start of scenario or service it will be more then 1 second
    otherwise its a very short freeze
    i really doubt that more ram will help
    it might be that the game just needs even more optimizing
    there is still items on the roadmap anyway
    • [Ongoing] Memory use optimisation
    so will see if we get improvements later on

• Like Like x 2
  4. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

As I noted earlier I am getting a lower fps on this DLC (70 - 110) v older ones (90 - 140) as well as increased stuttering. I have not noticed any advert freezing in running the first few scenarios but will continue to monitor. My system is Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900KF CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz with 32 gb on the board and a Nvidia GeForce RDX 3070 with 8 mb of video memory.

• Like Like x 1
  5. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

frame rate doesn't bother me as long as it looks to be running smooth for me its about playing the game and not playing about with the settings just so I can say I've got a certain frame rate.

• Like Like x 2
  6. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

With the same setups (1080p, screen percentage at 200%, all set to Ultra) I run Boston-Providence at 60fps rock solid while from Riesa to Dresden I can hardly hold up to 40 (not stable at all). Even the HMA with 427 layers, after the recent August-September core update, is much better than the new Riesa-Dresden. Even Flight Simulator 2020 (with the exact same settings: 1080p, screen percentage at 200%, all set to Ultra) is much better than Riesa-Dresden. If necessary, I have links to videos that demonstrate it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

This is a beautiful DLC but a resource hog. We may be at that point when progress on improving the game visuals will move past players with lower end systems. Any further improvements to how the game is packed may help.

• Like Like x 2
  8. chriis

chriis Member

For me we're past that point... I'm getting between 1-15fps on Dresden with huge pauses. I am however running a PC that is so horrifically old I'm surprised it hasn't unplugged its cables and thrown itself out the window in protest every time I load up the game!!! :D It's a shame but I'm not going to complain too much due to my hardware being so awful... (When I say awful I mean "first generation 3.2GHz i5 dual core with 6Gb RAM and 4Gb nVidia 750Ti GPU".....I know, right?!!!)

As an interesting comparison though, all my TSW2/Preserved routes on 'High' settings run at around 17-25fps so these rush hour routes must be quite a lot more intensive than the previous ones....

• Like Like x 2
  9. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I love this route. I run an i9 10900 , 32gb ram and 2080ti. I run everything on ultra at 125%. This gives me about 70+ FPS on most route. I’ve noticed that this does challenge more.

first time I ran route it lagged like hell, hasn’t since but I do seem to get tile loading.

I do wonder whether the low-ultra settings remove assets or purely dumb things down. Perhaps they need to incorporate both scenery density,shadow, and other settings so people can tailor further

• Like Like x 2