Does Anyone Know How To Grow A Youtube Channel?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by kenobi#1878, Sep 8, 2021.

1. kenobi#1878

kenobi#1878 Well-Known Member

I would like some assistance in making my channel have more than 19 subscribers as it’s isn’t very many and it makes me sad.
    Some videos of mine get 400+ views and like 3 have gotten 2K+ Views but I can’t seem to get more people to subscribe.
    Any help would be great
    Thanks I’m advance

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Well, the usual comments are to keep making regular, consistently high-quality content that you enjoy making. Unfortunately, YouTube doesn't really seem that interested in growing smaller channels and focus its efforts on big celebrities and those with millions of subscribers, after all, that's what makes them money. Personally, I'd say consistency is key for growth.

But then again, what the heck do I know, I'm just some muppet typing out opinions on the Internet :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

I know a thing or two.

I'll give you some starting points. To start with think of yourself as a viewer. Don't think about your videos at this point, think about your viewing habits. It doesn't really matter whether the videos you watch are related to your topic or not, you're examining yourself as a viewer.

Think about these questions:
    - why did you choose to watch a particular video?
    - did you watch all of it? If so, why? If not, why?
    - if it was your first time on that channel, did you subscribe? If so, why? If not, why?

[GENERALISING - your mileage will vary]
    The reason a channel grows is because its videos are holding people's attention, they're discoverable and because (and this is critical to your main question) after watching one video from that channel a viewer quite often watches another one. They only do that if the video they just watched leads them to want either more information or more entertainment that is delivered in the same way.

The videos I make have character, but they're nowhere near good enough to propel my channel to extremes (I also swing around through a lot of topics which doesn't build momentum as well as it might.) The character is what has got it as far as it has - it's a little different in tone to channels that cover the same things, and doesn't lean on humour geared more toward kids. Let's not forget that my style is fairly marmite - people tend to really like it or really not like it. I'm fine either way, it's better than being generic.

Without needing to watch a single video I'd say that it is the videos themselves that likely need attention. If you're getting views here and there and not converting people into subscribing, your videos aren't convincing the viewers that they need to see more.

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 5
  4. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

The lead video when I go your channel is some weird screen grab of someone being Rick Rolled and the first train video is 50 seconds of wobbly phone footage of a train leaving a station. The channel doesn't really seem to know what it wants to provide (24 second video of killing a goat in Minecraft seems like it's for an entirely different audience), so there's not much to encourage subscribers.

5. kenobi#1878

kenobi#1878 Well-Known Member

I’m probably going to either private or delete my old content and restart with a more serious tone.
    Thanks for the tips everyone:D

• Like Like x 2
  6. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

It's recently come to my attention that YouTube has started to show adverts before my videos. This is a new development and one which I don't object to in principle but does anyone know if they are likely to offer me a cut?

7. Factor41

Usually, when you reach a certain channel size, you will be offered the chance to become a partner which entitles you to a cut of the ad revenue generated on your videos. If they're showing before this, it's possible that something in your video (usually music) has triggered a copyright claim. When that happens, the copyright owner will get the ad revenue. You can see a list of these claims, as well as suspected matches against your own content in other people's videos, in the YouTube Studio.

8. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Hmm. Well there's no music in any of my films (unless you consider the sound of Deltic engines music- there's a case but I don't think it would stand to scrutiny) and I shot every frame myself except for the one Train Simulator video where I recorded my own driving so I don't know how anyone might think they have a claim but I'll look into it.

9. Factor41

Jut have a look through all the options in the YouTube Studio - see if it has anything under the Monetise or Copyright sections. I added monetisation to my channel a while back, but I think the thresholds for adding it are much higher these days.