Train Sim World 2 - Building Brighton Main Line

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Off The Rails simply ignores electrification status entirely. The OHLE removal mod just makes the equipment not appear - the track is still electrified, as electrification in-game is based on what the track is set as and not what's above it, and the Class 314 will still run as normal on it. Adding OHLE that wasn't there before, and making it functional, would require modifying the route itself in the editor which we don't have yet, and probably never will get.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Is the GWE electrified? I thought the year what the route is supposed to represent was before Electrification on the GWE. It was being built but not yet finished.

3. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

GWE isn't electrified in TSW and the OLE is just eye candy. That's why there's OLE up to a certain point on the route and then it vanishes. You are correct in that it's set during the upgrade (2015). Only the Heathrow lines were electrified at that time (but they aren't live in TSW).
    As Doomotron said above, if you use OTR mode in scenario planner, it ignores that the route isn't electrified so you can use electrics on the route.
    I've done scenarios on NTP using class 375's and 377's because the only DMU in game (except the class 101) isn't LD compatible yet (the class 166).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

The wire that exists in the game is in fact live. Through some glitch on PC, you can run the 314 on GWE, but only where there is the wire, where there is no wire the train does not run any longer.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Yoinkermcskoinker

Yoinkermcskoinker Well-Known Member

The class 375 and 377 are EMUs not DMUs

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

That was my point. Because I couldn't use the 1 modern DMU in the game with LD, I used the EMU's instead. The point was that even if the line isn't electrified, you can still use electric locos using scenario planner.

7. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

That 'glitch' would be the FGW Unlock mod causing the 314 to sub in on electric sections.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Yoinkermcskoinker

Yoinkermcskoinker Well-Known Member

Oh sorry I see what you meant now

9. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Such OHLE as there is in GWE is functional; it's the catenary that was installed for the Heathrow Express' 332s in the 1990s, which (in-game) runs as far as Airport Junction.

10. niiiice1

niiiice1 Member

On a more simple point (and I apologise if this has been mentioned before)...
    The Train Simulator routes in the UK (including the Victoria to Brighton) use the correct font for the digits on the speed limit signs, but the train Sim World 2 speed limit signs do not (e.g. Paddington, East coastway and SEH). This seems to be a simple and yet quite obvious oversight... or was it by design? Anyway, are there any plans to use the correct fonts?

e.g. using TS21021:

upload_2021-9-4_8-0-22.png

And TSW:

upload_2021-9-4_8-12-40.png

Thanks for any feedback...

• Like Like x 12
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I believe it uses the default UE4 font or something like that. The only route to receive different font is the BKL line.

I hate how it looks as it looks like someone has just painted the numbers on. Looks very unrealistic.

• Like Like x 8
  12. niiiice1

niiiice1 Member

Exactly - without trying to be overly critical, it feels like it's a bit of sloppiness and lack of attention to detail, which seems a little strange when a lot of other aspects of the game do seem to get plenty of attention to detail.
    Is this forum somewhere that the DTG team look at and might comment on?

• Like Like x 1
  13. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm really hoping that they create some more realistic looking speed signs for this and upcoming UK routes. A small detail, but for me it makes a big difference to the feel of the route.
    I did note that the mileage posts in the upcoming Dresden route have the correct font, I think previous German routes used the default UE font?
    Hopefully this will be a sign that L2B will get the same treatment. And hopefully maybe some varying track ballast/sleepers?....

.....And hopefully we also get slow speed approach control signalling (from red).....

Looking forward to the streams, whenever they may be.

• Like Like x 3
  14. niiiice1

niiiice1 Member

That's exactly it - a little attention can change the whole feel of it! Thanks. But I don't know if the DTG people read these comments and take them on board...

• Like Like x 3
  15. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

Agreed. They also need to upgrade the Electrostar sounds since they aren’t great at the moment. Maybe they could add AP sounds but anyways they aren’t great now

• Like Like x 2
  16. Doomotron

They already confirmed the new 377 and 387 will have AP sounds.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Have they? If so that's brilliant!

18. londonmidland

When and where did they say that?

• Like Like x 6
  19. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

So no preview stream next week, I guess they are still Building Brighton Main Line...

• Like Like x 5
  20. UnlimitedMagic

I'd say the preview will be after next week

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

The route is done the trophies are on the Steam DB

• Like Like x 1
  22. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

When was this confirmed ?

• Like Like x 1
  23. UnlimitedMagic

I think it's bogus info.

• Like Like x 2
  24. londonmidland

I don’t think it’s been confirmed anywhere that it’ll have updated AP sounds yet. Either the OP was misheard or it’s false information.

• Like Like x 3
  25. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I was under the impression from previous streams that the Electrostars already use some AP sounds; they're just not mixed quite well.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  26. londonmidland

This is correct. In fact they’re using the OLD, much inferior AP Electrostar sounds for the 377 and 375 currently.

There’s been no mention at all as to whether DTG have used the new, updated AP sounds.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  27. leelarner

leelarner New Member

where

28. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

You're right they haven't but I seriously hope they use the sounds from the new AP 387 pack. Anything less would be a massive let down for me. I can live with the 377 sounds staying the same, although obviously it would be great if they could update or at least tweak the mixing.

Here: https://steamdb.info/app/1282590/history/?changeid=U:25502520

• Like Like x 1
  29. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Like the roadmap states there will be a longer period between routes this time. Boston and Dresden were 4 weeks apart so I think it will be 6 weeks this time.

Previews in 3 weeks.

Screenshot_20210912-020422_Chrome.jpg

We will probably get the Boston and Dresden patches before Brighton come out.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  30. niiiice1

niiiice1 Member

I'm no expert with sounds, but are the AP sounds really that much better? All of the sounds I've heard seem ok...!

31. Doomotron

Generally, yes. Although, their latest packs have questionable quality. The 455 packs are pretty terrible, with incorrect cabs and reusing very old sounds. The 465/466 pack was also quite problematic, but both of the Electrostar packs were disappointing, and not just because they got the 375 interior completely wrong (this makes me far more angry than it should). But AP at their worst is still better than DTG usually, which is why DTG seem to use them for most of their sounds now.

• Like Like x 1
  32. bart2day

They weren’t 4 weeks apart, they were 3 weeks apart. 19th August and 9th September.

• Like Like x 5
  33. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

While AP may provide very good raw sound files, it is the mixing which makes the difference between a good and bad implementation.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  34. UnlimitedMagic

As long as the route is A tier fine by me

• Like Like x 3
  35. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

This is another piece of rubbish. Matt stated on stream that everything was still going to release on time during the Boston Q&A.

• Like Like x 1
  36. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Annoying as it might be, having a more polished product is better than a rushed route with even more bugs than normal

• Like Like x 4
  37. smugstarlord#4202

I agree, however I think we, as a community, are at the stage now where,
    1) it won't work As intended
    2) i will be full of bugs
    3) will cause issues with last gen

• Like Like x 2
  38. niiiice1

niiiice1 Member

There are bugs in every software product. Accept that we'll get some, but also accept that we should hopefully be getting a good release, one that is enjoyable to use and that has some variety to keep us entertained. Saying they release stuff that is "full" of bugs feels a little over the top. Saying it won't work "as intended" is a bit harsh as well. I'm not a DTG mouthpiece, I'm just a bit more pragmatic. The people working on this release are likely to be trying very hard to bring us a realistic and immersive game; so give them a chance and let's hope that it is. And if it is, tell them so. If it is truly that bad, then then people need to tell them with their wallets as well as their voices.

• Like Like x 3
  39. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Define "on time"...

Unfortunately this is the way of things with DTG and have been since I started with TS1 five / six years ago. Doesn't mean it's acceptable but that's the company we're dealing with

40. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

This feels like the longest wait. I have been so keen to get this route since the first Rush Hour announcement. Hopefully things are progressing smoothly and we won't need to wait too much longer.

• Like Like x 6
  41. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Haha, yes agreed, feels like ages since it was announced. Hopefully we'll get a few screenshots or an article soon...

• Like Like x 5
  42. smugstarlord#4202

43. ARuscoe

And we haven't been given a specific release date

• Like Like x 2
  44. bart2day

We kind of have though. 'Summer' is what what stated and is still being marketed, which depending on your definition has either already ended or ends on 22nd September. Anything beyond this is officially a delay which DTG haven't even acknowledged.

• Like Like x 2
  45. ARuscoe

Agreed, and agreed we haven't been told of any changes in targets except when they moved to releasing on three dates rather than one, or when they put the Dresden previews back
    As usual we don't know what DTG have set themselves, and you can be sure that if DTG did say when they're expecting it to be released people on here would jump on their backs about why it's not sooner, and others about why it's TOO soon... Can't win for losing

• Like Like x 1
  46. niiiice1

niiiice1 Member

Absolutely...!! I think everyone should just stop fretting and asking about it and just enjoy it when it's ready!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  47. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

The thing with the TSW player base is that they get upset either way. The route gets released on time and is incomplete, thus angering users because the route is incomplete and/or buggy or the route is delayed, resulting in a more polished and stable route, but the player base is angry about the delay, so no matter which way it went, people still would have been angry. We better hope the 313 is good and polished with how long it is taking. Plus, let's face it, even if it had not been delayed or even if Riesa - Dresden had not been delayed, it was still going to be released after summer ended. Here are 3 Projections:
    Had Riesa Dresden not been delayed and released on the 2nd of September:
    First Preview: September 9th
    Second Preview, one week later: 16th of September
    Probable Release Date: 23rd of September (already 1-day out-of-schedle)

Riesa - Dresden was released on the day it actually came but BML is not delayed:
    BRD Release: 9th of September
    First Preview: 16th of September
    Second Preview: 23rd of September (so we are still out of summer either way)
    Probable Release Date: 30th of September (way out of summer now)

My Projection and what will likely happen:

Friday 17th of September: Dovetail Announces date of the first stream
    First Preview: 23rd of September
    2nd Preview: 30th of September
    Probable Release Date: 7th of October (very out of summer now)
    And that's assuming my projection is correct and the Messian branch is not the next release.

Note: All Projections are not official, thus, they are not 100% accurate. They are calculated based on previous route releases

• Like Like x 1
  48. jackthelad258

jackthelad258 Active Member

This is the route I'm most looking forward to but I'd like to ask will the Selective Door Operation work properly for this route? For example, on the Class 377 there is a SDO button, which either does not work when it should do at stations with short platforms or it is there purely for cosmetic purposes. If you press the SDO button all doors open regardless if there is platform space or not, which as we all know that would be extremely dangerous if that happens in real life. Has SDO functionality ever been addressed, as this would enhance realism in my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  49. ARuscoe

Not to my knowledge, but in the Boston route they figured out how to automatically address low and high area of platform (so the carriages work the doors and steps appropriately) so maybe this is something they can now do in BML. Doesn't mean they WILL!

50. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

Might be a good compromise solution if an actual SDO implementation is too complex. But if it is done that way, it should work on all platforms, not just on the one or two that will be shown on stream (like on Boston, where this system does not work properly on most stations)