Clinchfield Railroad: Emd F3/gp7

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by finntd#7891, Sep 13, 2021.

1. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

This is Sorta a Loco Pack, including 2 Classics, I Was gonna include just the F3 But I decided to spice it up with the GP7.

Locos:
    EMD F3:

These units, Similar to the F7, differs mainly in there Operations, Have you ever noticed in the CRR F7 that the Transition Lever had more spaced you couldnt use? or the Auto/Manual Transition Switch that seemingly does nothing? Well its more likely to be Used on Manual Transition Locos, like the F3, now you can Argue that the CRR F3s didnt have Manual Transition, BUT I think it would be bring a new Interesting Operating hurdle, one we havent seen since the Class 101, the need to Shift.
    F3.jpg

EMD GP7:
    This is Probably why you clicked on this Suggestion, the GP7s are your doitall engine, Sturdy, Reliable, Most wanted among Old American Diesels, this is just as it says on the Tin.
    geep.jpg

Layering:
    Just as the SD40 Has these locos can Possibly layer onto Sand Patch, Of course I think they should add Triple heading to some services on Sand Patch due to these locos being less Powerful then Sand Patch locos.

The End:
    The End, yea yea its simple today, but these 2 could really add something to Clinchfield, the F3 Can bring a new challenge to the Already challenging Grades of this route, and the GP7 Is the GP7, who doesnt like it?

• Like Like x 2
  2. aarontheloner

aarontheloner Active Member

GP 7 would be nice just cause how badly the route needs switching services.

3. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

No. These locos don't belong on SPG, as all of CRRs GP7s got rebuilt well before the CSX era. The only reason the CRR SD40 subs onto SPG is due to how the loco is programmed which allows it to layer into SPG, even though it shouldn't.

• Like Like x 3
  4. aarontheloner

Throws you off the first time you play SPG in a hot minute and you see a black SD40, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  5. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

Yea, that’s kinda why I Made a YN3 for it, and now every SD40 Spawns with it on for some reason

6. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Fun Fact: No. 800 - 805 were F3As, and 850-852 were F3Bs. These F3s were technically built as F5s (which is an F3 with the same traction motors used on the F7s) before being upgraded to the F7s completely.
    And not to forget that the route is set in the '80s where the F3s are either now the F7s (like CRR) or completely scrapped and gone. Not to mention it would be weird if you see an F3 having the same numbers that the F7 has now on the same train, if possible.

Not disagreeing with you here. But, just saying.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  7. Jonne1184

Jonne1184 Well-Known Member

As the original post kind of contradict itself, did the Clinchfield F3's have automatic transition or not? If they did, I do not see a point in unrealistically removing that for the sake of gameplay.

Anyway with the still limited variety TSW has regarding locomotives, I'd rather see something which differs more than the F3 from the F7. The GP7 would be a nice addition though.

8. aarontheloner

Its in the mid 70s not 80s. Scenarios are mostly listed in 75-76. Still past the day of the F3 though.