Dresden Wow!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by ASRGT, Sep 12, 2021.

1. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

Really DTG … really!!

Dresden what I can I say… wow what an experience, for a long time now I have had a constant criticism of routes DTG has produced been low on scenery detail, by this I mean routes would often feel very same same per km due to the constant reuse of a very small pool of building assets across the route and often key landmark buildings where poorly represented or missing completely making route learning very difficult as you could not visually identify where you where on the route based on the landscape, but Dresden delivers, there is a wealth of custom assets track side, landmark buildings and even distance scenery towns are shown making this not only the most detailed route DTG has produced so far but also one that is extremely easy to learn how to drive without the HUD.

The art team really does deserver a huge kudos and pat on the back for this one hands down the best route visually.

Some key visual highlights include:
    • Night lighting – massive improvement and well done to all those involved in showing what can be done, there are some niggles with it but there is no doubt that compared to any other route this one addition elevates this route to must buy status for me.
    • The new ballast, now the blending is nice but even more so than that appears to be a new texture, or its brush has been tweaked as it now suffers less from extremely obvious repeating pattern issues other ballast has had so again great work.
    • Scenery density and unique buildings – id be willing to bet there is more custom models in this route than all previous German DLC combined it really does feel dense and diverse so again huge probs to the team
    Visual improvements alone however are not where it stops with a great selection of rolling stock offering a ton of content on the route, now I will say it is a shame that some services appear to be missing as mentioned in streams but regardless this route really is the quintessential German route at this stage and also highlights why having a large catalog of trains from the same era is important, something British content is hindered by with its early DLCs been across different time periods.

Bonus points for the 101 as well been the best single German loco currently in the game getting more game time out of this loco is a welcome treat.

Id also like to call out a simple but awesome detail, ticket validation it’s the little things that can make all the difference and the addition of what is essentially a little gimmick is greatly appreciated, whoever came up with the idea shows they really do have a passion for this game so just wanted to say thanks.

And that really is what this post is all about, we can all be very vocal and critical but often we don’t balance that with positive feedback when things are done well, this route even in its current state is a stand out and really is in my opinion the best single content release DTG has produced for years and with a branch line been added back to it its only getting even better so well done DTG and everyone who worked on this it really is a stand out route and content you should all be very proud off . Thank you

Now for the less positive items I guess would be why now? is the quality higher due to been in a season pass? has that afforded them more development time than normal? Or did they simply use 3rd party help due to time crunch that highlighted shortcomings in there internal skill set ? I really do hope DTG do a retrospective on this and work it out as for me this is the new benchmark and I’m not interested in seeing routes going back to the old copy past same asset for 10 miles or lighting .. I should say nonexistent lighting passes ect A good example will be London to Brighton a route I am hugely excited for but as we have already been told it will not have a night lighting pass , this already puts its one rung down on the quality bar and that kind if thing needs to be considered going forward.

Anyway, I could ramble on and on but I have better things to do like play some more 101 services on Dresden, Thanks DTG for one hell of a great route.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 27
  2. JBViper

JBViper Well-Known Member

Totally agree with you.
    I like this route with a lot of services. With the expansion coming, even more fun :love:

• Like Like x 2
  3. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I completely 100% agree with you, once the few bugs and performance issues which have been reported are ironed out this will be the yard stick all future DLC are measured by for a long time to come IMHO. Its so well done and varied and as you say stunning to boot.

They have set expectations for BML to high now and people will naturally compare the 2 and I fear BML may well fall short of this new standard.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I agree with all of those things , I just wish I could play it

5. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I think all involved parties - DTG, and the 2nd parties - looking at Ed & Lukas here, deserve a massive pat on the back for this route. It's truly wonderful.

I may have a preference of UK Content, but Dresden may be one of my favourites, once I purchase the season pass.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Tom89

Tom89 New Member

Totally agree, it is really good detail in this route. But to be honest, that is kind of the case with every DLC they have released. If you consider that the majority of the assets are placed by hand, and many modells have been created from scrach. It is simply impressive work that has been done on all routes.

• Like Like x 4
  7. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Worth mentioning great physics improvements (with some minor issues to be fixed).
    Nicely summarized.
    For me, #1 too, no doubt.
    Super good, DTG (and everyone else involved in this project) \o/

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  8. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Thanks, you saved me time making an similar post. I'm really happy and might spend too much time there leaving all my projects behind :-D
    Edit: only minor itch is the RailDriver implementation for the 363, but that is surely fixable

• Like Like x 2
  9. Scarface

Scarface Active Member

I think its great to have dynamic weather in Scenarios now. I hope it will be in Service mode in the future...

• Like Like x 4
  10. JealousSheep768

JealousSheep768 Well-Known Member

It is indeed an excellent route, just a shame about the flugafen branch. I finally like driving in the dark.

• Like Like x 1
  11. standit

standit New Member

So far it seems to be a good job from DTG but I am struggling to understand German passenger queueing systems.
    003.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. bobbobberdd

bobbobberdd Well-Known Member

We like to cuddle in Germany :D

• Like Like x 3
  13. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

This is set in 2019, so no social distancing

14. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

There are at least 4 sets of identical twins in this relatively small crowd. I'm pretty sure they've also visited New England recently! Doppelgangers taking over!?! Aargh!! :D

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Lunar_Twisted

Lunar_Twisted Well-Known Member

So far it’s my favorite German route due to the amount of services I can drive. I haven’t done the S1 services yet because I want to wait for the Meißen Branch to release. My favorite section of the route is the curve after leaving Dresden-Neustadt station towards Riesa.

• Like Like x 1
  16. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

It is definitely up there with Cathcart Circle, East Coastway, and perhaps Great Western Express as one of the most well-detailed and nicely designed expansions. Including so many different rolling stocks that have been noticeably rebuilt and/or upgraded, with some new liveries, really makes this one shine. DTG, you all did a fantastic job on this route.

Having said that, unfortunately, I cannot set my expectations too high for Brighton Mainline, as quality has historically had a tendency to fluctuate pretty wildly with TSW2's route add-ons.

• Like Like x 4
  17. lucas_5_5

lucas_5_5 Well-Known Member

Once we have the meiben branch and Some issues solved, this Will be the better product Made for tsw, for sure...
    Fingers crossed for BML !!

18. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the publication, I endorse every word.
    For this route I would certainly have paid full price because for me it is the best route that has been done so far in TSW, and with the next improvements it will be spectacular.
    It has so many details... I have played for many hours at a time and it has never been monotonous. And I finally enjoy driving at night in TSW.
    Perhaps the only thing missing is a better use of BR 363. This little wonder certainly deserves more prominence on the route than it has been given. At least include more interaction with the main line as it did brilliantly on RSN. I don't know if this is something they will do with the next timetable extension.
    Another congratulations from me to all those involved in one way or another in this route for their excellent work.

• Like Like x 2