White Lights On German Ks Signals – Still Not Correct In Nahverkehr Dresden

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by tygerways#2596, Sep 12, 2021.

1. tygerways#2596

tygerways#2596 Well-Known Member

Nahverkehr Dresden is a really nice route with quite a lot of fun and beautiful new features. Especially, I really appreciate the implementation of the Hl signal system.
    The white lights on the Ks signals are – in my humble opinion – still not working correctly, though.
    German Ks signals should display a white (auxiliary) light ("weißes Zusatzlicht") exclusively on signals that show a yellow aspect (Ks 2) or a flashing green aspect (Ks 1 with Zs 3v, a yellow number), not on signals that show a steady, non-flashing green aspect (plain Ks 1 or Ks 1 with Zs 3, a white number).
    This applies to the whilte light above the other lamp (top left, indicating that a distant signal is positioned closer to the main signal than usual) as well as to the white light below the other lamp (bottom left, indicating that the signal is a distant signal repeater).
    In Schnellfahrstrecke Köln Aachen for example there still are (even after the Summer 2021 update, that thankfully "fixed an issue with flashing Ks1 aspects with no Zs3v functionality") quite a lot non-flashing Ks 1 with no Zs or Zs 3 (a white number) showing an (incorrect) white light above the other lamp and some distant signal repeaters showing flashing Ks 1 with Zs 3v (a yellow number) that are missing the white light below the other lamp.
    In Nahverkehr Dresden now, you find the (incorrect) white light below the other lamp on signals (distant signal repeaters) that show just plain, non-flashing Ks 1 without any Zs.
    This issue is so prominent that it has been reported in this forums even before release, but to no avail.
    I hope it will finally be fixed with the announced release of the Meißen branch.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

I submitted a ticket about the Ks signalling system months ago, seems like some of it was addressed on SKA, but there are still some minor tweaks needed as you describe :) hopefully making a bit more noise like this will help to get the issue addressed :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Cramnor

So I fired up SKA yesterday, and they did actually fix the blinking signals that should not be blinking, so that is a good sign and some hope DTG might look into this.

To my surprise, I noticed that the repeater signals on SKA that show a Ks1 aspect do not have the white light, that is great :) However, also the ones with a Zs3v, which should have the white light, don't have it on SKA unfortunately, so that is yet another weird thing (I believe I haven't seen this combination on any other route). Fingers crossed, maybe it gets fixed for the next German route and then ported back by Adams team.

• Like Like x 2
  4. tygerways#2596

Yeah, this is exactly what I saw in SKA.
    If anyone cares, imho it should be just like this:
    whitelight.jpg
    In "Eastern Germany" (in Dresden e.g.) the whilte light on distant signal repeaters can be replaced by a sign showing a black circle on a white board (what you can actually see a lot in the game).
    (see Ril 301, modul 301.0102, section 1, paragraph 3 and 4, and modul 301.0201, section 1, paragraph 14, 16 and 17).

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Cramnor

It says it only applies where the DV301 is valid, which is eastern Germany, but has it been used on Ks signals as well? Can't remember ever having seen it on Ks repeater signals, but the Hl uses that one exclusively.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

I believe you see it only on Hl signals (at least I have never seen them on other systems). But you are right, DB Netz does not rule it out to be used on other signal systems as well, as long as they are in East Germany.

It has always been my interpretation that the DB rules are tighter then what the regulatory body (the EBA) actually requires. There you will see this sign without the Limitation of the DV 301.
    See „AB25 NBL“ here: https://www.eba.bund.de/SharedDocs/...2020-12-13.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=3

Hence, I would not be surprised, if we will see them in the future, also in the West of Germany, as I would assume it to be cheaper to just plug a sign on a signal, rather then have extra electrical indication on it.

• Like Like x 3
  7. tygerways#2596

To save further on white lamps, the white lights top left (on distant signals closer than 95% of the longest allowed braking distance) can be substituted (again, according to the Ril 301, only in DV 301 territory, a.k.a. "Eastern Germany") by using special Ne 2 signs (distant signal boards), that incorporate the black circle and look like this:
    ne2whitecircle.jpg (see Ril 301, modul 301.1401, section 2, paragraph 10, and modul 301.0201, section 1, paragraph 15).
    I haven't noticed one of those in the game yet. Has anyone?
    Again, as already mentioned above, Hl signals do not use white lights at all, but (usually) the "white circle signs" described above.
    (see Ril 301, modul 301.0103, section 1, paragraph 5, subparagraph 3).
    Eventually, though, the Hl signals and "white circle signs" will be replaced by Ks signals with white lights anyway, so I don't think we will see a lot "white circle signs" on Ks signals.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cramnor

So with the new update to Dresden Riesa, I am very very happy to see that the distant signals have been fixed. Thanks a lot to the one responsible to figure these details out and implement them correctly.
    Unfortunately, there is a 'however' to this story. Now main signals that show a Zs3v no longer have the white light in the top left corner, showing that the next main signal is closer than the usual 1km brake distance. While this light not being present is correct for a regular Ks1, for Ks2 (where it works correctly) but also for Ks1 with a Zs3v the white light should be active.
    So as a short summary for the Ks signalling system, it seems to be correct now at Dresden Riesa with the following exemption:
    when the next main signal is more than 5% closer to a main signal with distant signal functionality, the light should not be active for Ks1, but for Ks1 with a Zs3v (blinking green) and Ks2 they should be active.
    Ks1 | Ks1 with Zs3v | Ks2
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ----------------- [​IMG]---------------------
    This can be seen on RE50 services approaching Dresden for example, and can throw people without route knowledge off since they would not expect the next main signal so close.

• Like Like x 2
  9. DTG Lukas

DTG Lukas Developer Staff Member

Welp, looks like I missed that. Will be fixed for future stuff :)

• Like Like x 2