What Am I Doing Wrong?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by llyengalyn, Sep 15, 2021.

1. llyengalyn

llyengalyn New Member

I had a near perfect run on the new haven tofc, I pull into the yard at 1 mile per hour and stop with.03 of a mile until the end and get "whoa that was a little rough wasn't it?" Operation failed scenerio incomplete.

It doesn't even tell me what I did wrong. This is the second or third time I've spent 44 minutes playing through only to somehow fail at the end. This put a heavy dampener on my desire to keep playing or buy other content ....

2. llyengalyn

llyengalyn New Member

Here is the image of what the report said.

Attached Files:

3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I think it is a Career Scenario so anything you don't do to the letter is a point loss.
    The timings are stupid and one of the reasons I don't play them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. llyengalyn

llyengalyn New Member

But I was running 20 minutes ahead of the passenger train the whole time, and the dispatcher even told me a couple times I could ease off and slow down and i didn't. So just in the slow down through town and into the yard I was late?

5. llyengalyn

llyengalyn New Member

My other problem is the complete lack of any idea why I failed, I need to game to be specific as to what went wrong so I can correct the behavoir in the next try.

6. llyengalyn

llyengalyn New Member

So most players don't do the career things?
    Doesn't making goals help the game feel more worthwhile?

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

That picture you posted showed a number of things going wrong
    [1] Your train was speeding and you did not correct it
    It said you departed a number of stations on time and gained 200 points for each departure
    [2]The last entry shows you left early from a location so you lost points

Career Scenarios expect you to drive to the timetable without going faster than the line speed and to keep to the timetable.
    A real train driver can find his career on the line if he speeds
    A car driver thinks speeding is a way of life

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  8. llyengalyn

llyengalyn New Member

I find it almost impossible not to speed, it's pretty easy to happen. Even if i cut the throttle immediately and apply the breaks as soon as I get a speeding indicator it takes a while to correct it and you keep racking up those penalties. It doesn't just show a penalty for each instance of speeding, it show a list of penalties for every tick of the clock until you slow down. I don't know what station i could possibly have left early? the scenerio starts saying "You are clear to depart as soon as you are ready." and there are no stops until you get to your destination. It would appear that scenerios are broken then, with these unexplainable failures. I can cope with the speeding thing, i've been working on getting better at that. Pretty much as soon as I see a speed restriction coming up I cut the power and start applying dynamic braking at least. The next trick to learn is when and how much air brakes to apply to not stop too soon or too late.

9. llyengalyn

llyengalyn New Member

I have been doing well not speeding once you are out on the main, i can keep max speed under control, it's the speed reductions. It feels almost like a mile and a half isn't enough warning of the upcoming speed reduction zone. Reading about how air brakes and dynamic brakes behave is no substitute for the experience and learning curve of dealing with the actual mechanism.

10. Måns Johannesson

Måns Johannesson Member

I suppose it is the scenario 'Hot TOFC'? If I remember correctly at one point towards the end of the run you are expected to stop for another train, however is you is a little late the signal clears in front of you and as that stop is coded as a real stop you get a 'failed to stop at station'.

11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

On some scenarios you are told to stop at a Signal - if you don't follow those instructions then it is a Fail to Stop
    Does not matter about the Signal Indication you are supposed to stop if the instruction tells you to do so

• Like Like x 1
  12. jklimentowski

jklimentowski Active Member

Well I don't know what most people do. I use app called ThirdRails. It gives you real shedules of real life trains. It also helps you to learn the route by GPS map and gives you spoken announcements. I drive real train hudless and on time. Sometimes competing with real life train going the same route with me. This gives me sense of achievement. For that I use quick drive and sometimes free roam.

13. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

With a normal scenario you still have goals.

You drive the same as in Career Scenarios but you don't gain points as it is not supposed to be an arcade game.
    The idea is you drive the train safely from where you start to where you finish
    Some of the "Goals" are Not Speeding and Stopping at the places you are supposed to.

14. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

No. There's no score in real life, or gold stars. The "goal" is to drive professionally, safely, and on time. Driving well makes it worthwhile, and I don't need a score, or a star system to let me know that.

• Like Like x 2
  15. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

This can be particularly tricky if one only pays attention to signalling for example. You may have a green or a yellow aspect in front of you, but that does not mean you have to set off right then and there. The HUD and/or F1 display should hopefully show the required departure time.