Make The Game More Accessible

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by antwerpcentral, Sep 17, 2021.

1. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

One thing that made hold out this game was the numerous reports about a very buggy game but now that I have played this game I understand where these reports come from. Why is the game so hard to figure out? What is the thinking behind it? I notice that I get thrown in a new cockpit all of the time and very locomotive works differently. Would have been handy if there was a manual in the cockpit but nope you have to figure it for yourself and after putting so many switches in the wrong position the locomotive won't start moving. Once you figure it out it's a fun game but then you get in the next cockpit and the same thing happens all over again.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

The tutorials are handy and there is manuals about but for some reason not for any recent dlc

• Like Like x 1
  3. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

If you have trouble do the tutorials they’re here for a good reason

• Like Like x 4
  4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Dovetail’s now 18 month search for someone who can write a manual is surely going to come up trumps soon. The people who put the controls into the virtual trains can jot down what they do on a napkin and then someone with rudimentary graphic design and layout skills can put them into a pdf. There’s got to be someone out there who fits the bill. They are quite adept at putting together a plethora of marketing material and producing a manual is a fairly similar process. It may even help retain some more of those players who try the game and give up because they can’t figure out where to get the relevant info, turning them into DLC buying customers instead of former customers. I wonder what the delay is.

• Like Like x 1
  5. breblimator

breblimator Guest

In the menu, go EXPLORE > TRAINING (training modules for specific trains)
    The missing manuals are highly requested. You are right :)
    For the existing ones go here > link
    You can also search in Google, typing train name + Train Simulator* + Manual
    *Another DTG product with more manuals \o/

• Like Like x 2
  6. antwerpcentral

So in Training I will find all the locomotives that I find on my journey? I already seen that button and thought I would have to go have to look there but that's what I mean with making the game more accessible. If you get thrown in to a new locomotive on your journey why does it not start with the tutorial for that locomotive? The game knows I'm new so I don't understand how they came to the conclusion that it would be fun to leave players in the dark like that.

The game would get much better user reviews on metacritic if people knew why they are sitting in a train for minutes and can't seem to get it moving. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Theoretically yes - for all trains that this particular DLC contains (Journey uses only these).
    The substitutes and layers have their training modules in the corresponding DLCs (containing them) :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2021
  8. Jonne1184

Jonne1184 Well-Known Member

So instead of just clicking on the button labeled "Training", you decided to go to the forums and complain of not understanding how the locos work and there being no way of learning?

That is exactly what happens on every journey.

I smell troll here to be honest.

• Like Like x 1
  9. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

Journey mode on the Dresden route is useful, but it does drop you into one loco before you have learnt it fairly early on I think. Before the scenario starts it shows a screen with the loco on it. If you haven't done the tutorial on that loco, then just exit out to the main menu and go and do the tutorial. Or close the game/sim down, go to youtube and find a video where Matt or Sam are driving it.

The OP is a bit odd though. It start off talking about numerous bugs which then translates to "I don't know how to drive the locos". Yes, the issue in the journey mode is a (minor) bug but it shouldn't stop you from trying it. Also, there is no penalty for taking your time and practicing, and going back and repeating something.

10. antwerpcentral

First post on this forum and I get this? Yes I immediately went tot he forums after 2 days playing the game and not finding it very intuitive. If you smell a troll we will not get along because I had to post this thread in a hurry. Wait till you hear my other complaints.

I understand you like this game and know everything there is to know about train simulators. I respect that. I like video games and I like this game but this game seriously has some flaws. Please respect my opnion as someone who is trying to get familiar with a new video game

• Like Like x 2
  11. antwerpcentral

Well I was tempted to buy this game already a few times but always reviews about how bugged the game is. It was my first thought when nothing moved. Did the game crash? Why don't I get a notification to say what to do? What is going on here. Then I noticed when you complete your route you get a new locomotive but no explanation whatsoever. Still don't get why I would have to go back to the menu to load the training about that locomotive.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

I personally avoid the journey mode and focus on the training missions and then do the scenarios by then I get a good understanding of the train that I then go into timetable mode

13. antwerpcentral

I'm not sure if this is a console issue. Because of some reactions I got mentioning how unaccessible the game is to new players, I'm looking again at how the menu the works and I'm starting to understand what the big flaw is.

• I fire up the game
    • I get a menu where I get to choose a route(?) *not sure if I have the naming correct.
    • I choose a route and get thrown into a locomotive . If I completed a what is probably a scenario after the tutorial before I closed the game I will end up in an unfamiliar locomotive with nog guidance whatsoever
    • So you go to pause mode and there is nothing to find whatsoever that can help you. But when you hold R1 on Playstation you get the option to go to the main menu.
    • And then you get finally to the place where you should have started all along. And when you choose "back" in that main menu you get directed to the route chooser. Very confusing.

BTW, how do I change my avatar in the game. Looks like I'm stuck with the one I choose at the start?

• Like Like x 1
  14. sergio volodstok

sergio volodstok Active Member

Tutorials do help some but they're not always that in depth about everything a particular locomotive or operation has to offer, they just provide the raw basics for performing an operation or operating a locomotive. Scenarios can help in learning operations, too, since they still guide you, to an extent..

15. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

I think OP may have auto load journeys option enabled.

To stop being thrown into routes with no control, go to the settings screen in the main menu and turn off the auto load journeys option- it is on by default and the cause of no end of trouble. Some journey modes don't have the tutorials in them.

After doing that you'll be able to use the menu screens to control what you want to do on the route. Including going to look for the training modules.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. antwerpcentral

Aha! Thank you. This makes sense. I bought some routes yesterday. Had a lot of fun with them and today I wanted to start again where I left of on the Dresden Rush Hour route and the same thing happens. I can't get the same locomotive working. Since I had no problems playing on the other routes but here I was stuck again. I will now go to the tutorlals but really had to complain about it first :). But now that I know I can turn oft auto load journeys things might get smoother.

I know the menu had a big overhaul with Rush Hour but I think it still is a mess. If not for little annoyances like being very hard for noobs this game is pretty good. Maybe a bit to good as I already purchased DLC :|

• Like Like x 2
  17. antwerpcentral

Seems like I was presented with the tutorial in the journey. I was just tired of waiting for the air system to charge. Switched of the game. Turned the game back on later and was thrown in the journey. Now I'm doing the tutorial again. And I must have done something wrong because the brakes keep charging and it keeps me waiting for the air systems to charge.

I'm gonna do some other route because even the tutorial of this locomotive doesn't work

• Like Like x 2
  18. Stephen Crofts

Glad to help.
    Keep at it, we're all here as wannabe practitioners of the art of locomotion. It isn't easy but this is the place where we figure it all out.

Ps. I've also bought far too much dlc than is healthy

• Like Like x 2
  19. Stephen Crofts

If it's the DB BR 143, the Dresden version does take a while to charge the brakes and release the interlock on the power. I was quite surprised by it.

20. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I suspect that's the default setting for anyone new to the game. Not sure it's a good option to have enabled by default though.

21. Stephen Crofts

I quite agree

22. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Yes the manuals are missing for many dlcs in tsw2.

For the uk locos i used real br driving manuals to see how the stock is operated.
    The nice thing is for example you can drive a class 20 literally by those driving manuals.

Probably players have to get a bit creative how to learn to operate the tsw2 locomotives.

Im just glad times are over, where all locos have a lack of the important features.

The only exception in tsw2 is the cl09, which is one of the first dlcs.

23. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

The manuals are in my opinion just a "nice to have".

There is plenty of information about the real worlds routes incl. Cabrides & route learning videos of real drivers.

Also there are usually handbooks of each type of locomotive. It takes some time to find them, especially older stock are ususlly just scanned original manuals, but the informations are all possible to find.

24. antwerpcentral

After playing an entire weekend (who knew driving a train could be so much fun) I'm still not sure what went wrong. Could have been bugs or user inexperience. I noticed I have way more problems on the Rush Hour routes than older DLC. When I played the HAM route I noticed the learning curve was way smoother.

On the Rush hour DLC noticed a lot of times that things weren't working as it should be. Brakes that don't recharge, red lights that will stay red, locomotives that are not on the platform.

25. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  26. antwerpcentral

I have recreated the problem I encountered when I first started playing the game and created this topic. I created a new profile and started out with Boston Sprinter and noticed the journeys tutorial function is not finished. When I was playing older routes I always get prompts of what buttons to push or switches to turn. But on the Boston Sprinter route after the tutorial there is basically nothing to guide you.

After playing lots of routes I noticed the Boston Sprinter has even one of the most difficult loco's to set up. Please note that new players might buy this game for a specific route and their introduction to the game might not be one of the base game routes.