Xbox Series S Versus Ps4 Pro

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by richard cooper, Sep 15, 2021.

1. richard cooper

richard cooper Active Member

I am a ps4 pro tsw player. I have recently bought series s to play flight simulator(which is amazing on a small console). As my pro struggles a bit now with new routes if I bought tsw for xbox would I notice a marked improvement in performance, frame rates, graphics etc. I would be grateful for any advice.

2. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

Yes you would, being on series S now ( one s before) there is a massive different

3. Kobebeef

Kobebeef Active Member

Yes can confirm series s is amazing with tsw2 hd 1080p 60fps. Ofc, you get occasional dips but that's across all platforms.
    Even runs better on a 144hz monitor with freesync, since those micro stutters would be almost unoticible compared to a 60hz screen

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  4. Boris The Frog

Boris The Frog Active Member

New X Box consoles normally ship with a trial for gamepass so you should be able to try it for free before committing to the purchase.
    Series S is an exceptional console for the money but the stumbling block for me was the lack of optical drive support.

5. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

I did exactly the same, got the series S due to price and availability mostly for MSFS.

Having gamerpass I downloaded TSW2 right away to see how it runs, and it’s awesome in HD, 4k? Not as smooth but still looks nice.

How much DLC do you have on your PS version of the game?

(have played TSW2 on the 4 and pro and the S is a different ballgame, but it’s no X or 5)

6. richard cooper

I have all dlc so far released. But think getting future dlc on xbox series s might be a good idea. It means splitting the game on to two systems, but it's only a matter of pressing a ps4 button or a xbox button. Might try, game pass see what it's like. Thanks for the help

7. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

oh blimey, cheaper to get a PS5 than all the DLC again? ;) (Sales on the MS store are far and few between as you may have seen on other threads)

My mistake, misread all future DLC sorry, why not.

gamepass trials are often on offer £1 for three months for example, which is just daft value.

8. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

Get it on the Xbox. It's more powerful than PS5, has better exclusives and backwards compatibility and is cheaper
    All TSW DLC (including all the rush hour routes plus a season ticket) is £819 and you can get some of them in a bundle. Plus, chances are, you not going to want all the D LC

9. richard cooper

10. richard cooper

I bought series s for same reason, I have had flight simulator before and wanted the new one after reading reviews. I read a bit about about the s and apart from storage, always got a good review. It was available and importantly I had room for it. I think the ps5 is an ugly machine and I just didn't have room for it. So far liking this little box.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Series S is a staggeringly good machine, especially at its price point. Sony really missed a trick not producing something similar. The generational leap is just as noticeable with it, and if you are on a decent high refresh VRR monitor, 1080p is really all you need, this console delivers smooth high framerate gameplay, often more reliably so at 60fps than Series X or PS5 manage with their games targeting 4k, so if FPS>Resolution for you this is often the console to go for..

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Boris The Frog

I couldn't agree more - but for as long as there is this unhealthy digital v's physical price disparity for games the lack of any optical drive support does remain the biggest hurdle with this console.
    Back compat seems to have been overlooked as well. Those who own physical copies of their treasured X360 games (the ones that actually made it to back compat) can no longer simply insert their disc and download the emulated version to take advantage of superior hardware, they have to rebuy it. The added problem being that not all back compat games are available to purchase digitally so unless you still own an X360 (which defeats the whole object) then you can't play them at all.

So...to slightly tweak: "Series S is *almost* a staggeringly good machine".

• Like Like x 1
  13. richard cooper

14. richard cooper

I know this is nothing to do with trains, so might be being a tad cheeky. Do you know how to save a flight in flight simulator. I have saved a flight plan, but don't know if that saves flight as well.

15. Princess Entrapta

Indeed, which is why I only own one for purposes of travel, and have a Series X as my main system I can stick things like my KOTOR discs in.

• Like Like x 1
  16. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

Don't forget the series S has pc timetables as well! Which really shows off how good of a little console it is!

I was originally looking for the X but im glad I went with the S despite the lack of disk drive!

But then I kept my one s for disks so it wasn't a major problem for me at least

17. Princess Entrapta

Ah, but you can't play those 20 year old Original XBox discs on your One S with HDR enabled :P

• Like Like x 2
  18. Boris The Frog

There are two save options:
    (1) .FLT will save everything (route, plane, weather, time of day....etc etc).
    (2) .PLN just saves a route that you can use freely with any plane.

If you're using a commercial airliner then try 'high altitude' from the pull down box directly under the plane when making your route. My findings of this option *as a complete rookie* is that it seems to alter the flight path between A and B in such a way that it creates a straight landing pattern instead of the normal sweeping arc. It might be just a coincidence....I do not know :cool:

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. richard cooper

Thanks Boris the frog. How do you access. FLT and PLN.

20. Boris The Frog

I've posted a clip which is awaiting moderation (sigh!).
    If it fails then visit the 'in cab visual deterioration' thread in this section of the forums and click *either* of the links on the very first post (pinxtonpaws). From the external link you can simply go "back to clips" and view the one for MSFS2020.

Changing my username to match my gamertag has to be the singlemost dumbest thing I have ever done...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  21. richard cooper

Nothing wrong with Boris. Cheers for info

22. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

The only fault I can see on the Series S is the low RAM. Ita the same as the Xbox One. In fact the Xbox One X has more RAM than a Series S does.
    Which is the reason they are getting the out of memory crash on BRD right before Dresden on the older consoles and the Series S. But not the Series X

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  23. Princess Entrapta

Never had that error on Series S and I play a lot on there.
    Also there's a significant difference between 8GB of DDR3 running at 1066MHz and 8GB of GDDR6 running at 1750Mhz