Tinted Windshield "effect" In Some Cabs?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Teflon490, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Teflon490

Teflon490 Active Member

Is this issue only on my PC or is this yet another bug in TSW2?

Some trains appear to have tinted windshields, as it is visible in the sreenshots. I do not believe it is realistic to have tinted windshields, as it would be major safety hazard in low-light conditions, even on cars this is forbidden, so I assume nobody would even think of tinting a train's windshield IRL.

Some trains appear not to have this almost at all, but some - like ICE for example - have it very prominent.
    Note that this is around noon, and skylight intensity is cranked up, to be able to see at least something that should be seen on a sunny midday from a cab.
    In the evening or even at night, or just in overcast conditions, it is then proportionally worse. It results in the scenery being very dark overall, while in the outside view everything is as it should be. This is very annoying.

Strange that I noticed this only recently, I do not remember noticing it before, so maybe some update introduced this? Is is known and will it be fixed?

TSW2_ICE_In-Cab_1.jpg TSW2_ICE_Outside_2.jpg TSW2_ICE_In-Cab_3.jpg TSW2_ICE_Outside_4.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The ICE trains have the most pronounced tint effect. I think it is just the way that looking through glass is simulated in the game, and because the ICE trains have very sloped windscreens it just amplifies the effect. I’d certainly like it if it can be made so that looking through a window doesn’t darken the view so much.

• Like Like x 1
  3. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

I've noticed this with the Class 465, and sometimes I find it can be slightly off-putting - along with the cab view height - especially if on a bright, clear day.

4. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

In real life most trains that are in tsw2 would have tinted windows. Not sure about tinted windshields though

5. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I've noticed what seem to be tinted windshields on some German trains. I assume this is realistic. You could argue that this helps the engineer on very sunny days. I can't see any problem myself. I'm sure drivers wear sunglasses like anybody else when driving.

Incidentally, it varies from state to state, but American cars will usually have some area of tint in the windshield, usually a few inches from the top down, covering roughly the same area as the sun visor would.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  6. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Almost all cars in the US have a slight degree of windshield tint- not as much as the side or rear windows, but some. They are also polarized: very visible if driving with polarized sunglasses! There are some states which permit a greater degree of windshield tint, even quite dark (Florida is one), but that's an aftermarket mod.

7. Rutger Luiten

Rutger Luiten Active Member

Reflections in the cab is in realife not allowed in the Netherlands, so there is no shiney surface anywhere in the cab that could cause distraction. I think it is also not allowed in Germany. So I think it is not correct how it looks in TSW.