Dynamic Brake Question

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by gilbertojrequena, Sep 19, 2021.

1. gilbertojrequena

gilbertojrequena New Member

Hi guys,

While I was doing the Cumberland charge scenario I was applying the dynamic brakes in the downhill (notch 8) and for some reason, they stopped working, no AMP reading in the gauge, the cooling fans turned off, and the train started accelerating. I don't know if it was a bug in the game or it has to do with something I did wrong. The dynamic brakes were in notch 8 for a long time, maybe does that has something to do? is there a technical limitation on the time the dynamic brakes should be used?

2. mephistau

mephistau New Member

Perhaps you didn't have air left in the tanks.

Here is a turorial. The first answer is a list of the subjects.

3. gilbertojrequena

Hey, thanks for your reply and for sharing the video, I will have a look. But still I don't see how not having air in the tanks could affect the dynamic brake, as far as I know they don't work with air

4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

That shouldn't have happened. IIRC, in the Cumberland Charge scenario you're driving a GP38-2, right? Dynamics should work all the way down; those locos have truly massive heat exchangers.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bagotmatt

bagotmatt New Member

Dynamic brake has no interaction with the air brakes. There shouldn't be a time limit on dynamic brakes either. I am wondering if there is an interaction where if you start to wheel slip with dynamics on, that the train cuts them out automatically.

• Like Like x 1
  6. solicitr

The only thing I can think of is that the OP for some reason engaged the independent brake.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gilbertojrequena

Yes it is a GP38-2. Then probably was a bug in the game, I will see if I can reproduce it.

8. gilbertojrequena

Interesting, but I did not notice any wheel slip nor any alert in the control stand.

9. gilbertojrequena

I'm not sure what is OP :(

10. solicitr

Sorry: Original Poster. I.e. you.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Even if you have massive heat exchangers, you can still overamp it. Creating more current flow than the wiring in the motors is designed for. This will trigger an overamp protection. Dunno if this is also modeled for dynamic braking, but is definitely modeled for power, and exceeding the amp limit will result in excatly what OP experienced - loco basically shutting down.

@gilbertojrequena
    Do you remember how high the amps were when it happened?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  12. solicitr

Yes, in theory that is possible: but the traction in that scenario is well capable of handling that smallish consist on that grade without either triggering.

• Like Like x 1
  13. gilbertojrequena

I did not interact with the independent brake, I applied the automatic one some times while the dynamic was engaged

14. gilbertojrequena

I think that could be what happened, I don't remember exactly how high the amps were. I remember I saw the power gauge a couple of times, and the needle was close to the red area. But the loco did not shut down, just the dynamic brakes stopped working.