Amsterdam Centraal - Arnhem

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by trainsimplayer, Sep 19, 2021.

?
  1. Yes!

40.5%
  2. Maybe

16.2%
  3. No.

2.7%
  4. Just give me the Netherlands!

40.5%
  1. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Hello all.
    This is going to be the first of a "series" of Suggestions, focusing on bringing New or Under-represented countries into the Game.

Today, I'm starting with the Netherlands' Amsterdam - Arnhem Railway.

Being my first suggestion of a Dutch route, my knowledge is going as I type this text, so I hope I'm not far off of the mark.

Let's get started:

Introduction:
    The Amsterdam - Arnhem line (Rhijnspoorweg / Rhine Railway) is a 87.4km (54.3mi) long Railway running between the Dutch cities of Amsterdam and Arnhem.

Seeing a variety of services - from local/regional services to IC and ICEs from Germany, this line starts with a great advantage - it's busy.

Around Amsterdam as well, the Metro of the city runs alongside the line.

Route
    The route is 87.4km (54.3mi) long, with 19 stations.
    1280px-Spoorlijn_Amsterdam_-_Elten.png
    These Stations are:
    Amsterdam Centraal
    Amsterdam Muiderpoort
    Amsterdam Amstel
    Duivendrecht
    Amsterdam Bijlmer ArenA

Amsterdam Holendrecht
    Abcoude
    Breukelen
    Maarssen
    Utrecht Zuilen
    Utrecht Centraal
    Bunnik
    Driebergen-Zeist
    Maarn
    Veenendal-De Klomp
    Ede-Wageningen
    Wolfheze
    Oosterbeek
    Arnhem

Rolling Stock/Services

I hardly know what would be more - well, important, so I'll just list all the options I've considered (Loco wise)

(Drivable Services)

DB/NS: ICE
    Operated by ICE 3M
    (Layer from SKA)

ICE 120/220 (NS) / ICE 78 (DB): Amsterdam - Arnhem (For Frankfurt, calls at Utrecht) • 5tpd
    ICE 100: Amsterdam - Arnhem (For Basel SBB, Calls at Utrecht) • 1tpd

NS: Nachtnet
    Operated by VIRM Units
    1280px-VIRM6.jpg

(VIRM Unit)

Nachtnet 1400: (From Rotterdam) Amsterdam Centraal - Utrecht Centraal (No Stops Between) • 1tph, Night Only.

NS: Intercity
    Operated by VIRM Units
    1280px-VIRM6.jpg

(VIRM Unit, again.)

IC 800: (From Den Helder OR Alkmaar) Amsterdam Centraal - Utrecht Centraal (For Maastricht) (Calling at Amst. Amstel only)

2900: (From Enkhuizen) Amsterdam Centraal - Utrecht Centraal (Calling at, Amsterdam Amstel. Service for Maastricht)

3000: (From Den Gelder) Amsterdam Centraal - Arnhem (Calling at, Amst. Amstel, Utrecht Centraal, Veenendaal-De Klomp - Ede-Wageningen and Arnhem, In evenings services call at Driebergen-Zeist. Service for Nijmegen) • 2tph

3100: (From Schiphol) Amsterdam Bijlmer ArenA - Arnhem (Same stops as above, except Amstel) (Service for Nijmegen) • 2tph

3500: (From Schiphol) Amsterdam Bijlmer ArenA - Arnhem (No stops in-between) (Service for Venlo) • 2tph

3900:
    (From Enkhuizen) Amsterdam Centraal - Utrecht Centraal (For Heerlen) (Calling at Amst. Amstel Only) • 2tph

NS: Sprinter
    Operated by SLT:
    2434,Utrecht.jpg

(Sprinter Lighttrain (SLT))

7300: Breukelen - Utrecht Centraal (For Veenendaal Centrum) • 2tph (Peak Hours ONLY)
    7400: Breukelen (Or) Amsterdam Centraal - Utrecht Centraal (For Rhenen) • 2tph

14600:
    Amsterdam Centraal - Amsterdam Muiderpoort (No stops between, Service for Zwolle) • 2tph

Operated by NS FLIRT units:
    1280px-NS_2504_-_Kleine_Vosstraat,_Oeken.jpg

(NS' FLIRT Units)

7500:
    Ede-Wageningen - Arnhem (All Stops) • 2tph (1tph during Evenings)

AI Only:
    Only using stock shown above, or layers:

(Amsterdam Centraal, or near)

International:
    IC 77 (DB) / 140 (NS):
    2tph (8tpd) Berlin - Amsterdam: DB BR 101 (Layer)

National:

IC 1500: (Terminates/Starts here) - Amersfoort OR Deventer • 2tph • VIRM

IC 2100: (Terminates/Starts here) - Deng Haag Centraal • 2tph • VIRM

IC 2200: (Terminates/Starts here) - Vlissingen • 2tph • VIRM

IC 2600: (Terminates/Starts here) - Almere Centrum • 2tph • VIRM

IC 12600:
    (From Groningen) Terminates Here. • 1tpd • VIRM

(Potential Inclusion) Amsterdam Metro 54

This potential addition - to add to the mainline - could be the rest of the Amsterdam Metro's line 54.

The line is as follows:
    (Italics = Station alongside mainline)
    (Bold = Interchange with mainline)

Centraal Station
    Nieuwmarkt
    Waterlooplein
    Weesperplein
    Wibautstraat
    Amsterdam Amstel
    Spaklerweg
    Van der Madeweg
    Duivendrecht
    Strandvliet
    Amsterdam Bijlmer ArenA
    Bullewijk
    Amsterdam Holendrecht

Reigersbos
    Grin

The Metro's M5 Units run here and would be the best bet for representation. 1280px-Metro_Amsterdam_M5_Kraaiennest.jpg

Conclusion
    In conclusion, I personally believe that one of Train Simulator - and so far TSW's - failings is a lack of countries - especially across the diverse rail network that is the European Continent.

In TS, only France, Switzerland, Germany, and the UK are present in official content (that I know of), representing Europe.

In TSW, only the UK, Germany and Switzerland appear for Europe.

In Europe, the Netherlands the most requested network that is absent in TSW, and I strongly believe should be brought to the game.

Long story short, let's give Train Sim World a Second Meaning!

Thanks for reading.
    Feedback is appreciated, always, if you have anything to say, please do.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    "International Series" of Suggestions.
    By Me.

- NL: Amsterdam - Arnhem • [This Post]
    - I??: Coming Soon...
    - I wonder...
    - Hmm...
    - ?

(Will be updated with links and such when time progresses. Hopefully time moves soon, until then, try and figure out what the next one is, if anyone gets it right... Well you get nothing.)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 14
  2. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea and SKA DB BR406 has ATB EG NG indicator lights seen on the cab right side 8 & 13 therefore making it more useful along with Voltage change. Freight might be a different story since there's no Freight locomotive capable of operating ATB EG NG 1.5kv DC and there is a sleeper train operating EN 420/421. If you need questions about the Dutch Routes ask our community members from the Netherlands

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Not convinced this is the most interesting Dutch route. Amsterdam-Utrecht is a pretty boring straight 4-track railroad through a flat landscape, similar to Great Western Express. Although I'm less familiar with Utrecht-Arnhem, I remember it also being large sections of straight tracks either running through forests or open landscapes for quite a distance.

I'd love to see a Dutch route, but I don't think this is the most interesting route.

4. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

One of the key reasons I chose to suggest this is the potential; Of course it runs towards the German Border, and, if ever chosen to be made by DTG, the Arnhem - Oberhausen Railway (as suggested by driverwoods#1787) - As far as Duisburg - could connect with HRR. On top of that, I found the rolling stock to be fairly diverse, and have that mix of the Sprinter Services, and the Intercity services.

So, whilst it may not be most interesting on earth, it seems to have some good points.

• Like Like x 2
  5. driverwoods#1787

Absolutely correct combine this route with my suggestion the Duisburg Oberhausen-Arnhem Railway with Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr you get a Busy Duisburg HBF and HRR Müllheim Hbf where freight trains from Amsterdam to Hagen Vorhalle run through. I can see DTG selling this as a bundle called Duisburg to Amsterdam via Arnhem & Oberhausen.

• Like Like x 2
  6. matthias#7816

matthias#7816 New Member

I agree, i am dutch and i take the Noord-zuidlijn (North-south line Amsterdam) Everyday, and i'd love to see this added to the game, maybe we could also get noord-zuidlijn in the game and metro S1/S2 from amsterdam, Please dovetail make this, your sim has a lot of dutch, german people.

7. rcdevisser

rcdevisser Active Member

I already suggested Amsterdam Rotterdam in the late 50's and let Dutch Classics create High Quality dlc's for TSC. I am eagering to see the "Hondekop" (Dog head EMU's), the "Muizeneus" (Mice nose EMU's) and the gracious Class 1200 locomotive (Also known as the Dutch American) hauling the "Plan D Bolkop" Coaches or a typical "van Gend & Loos" Parcel trains working this famous route passing the flower fields between Amsterdam and Leiden covered by our famous wind mills and acres with the Dutch water trenches and under a typical Dutch sky with the sheep clouds (Altocumulus) implemented in the dynamic weather pattern of TSWx.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ilba8765

Ilba8765 Well-Known Member

Genius idea!
    can provide a completely new introduction to everybody, also for players from other countries. Promising choice can be the NS Stadler flirt 3 for TSW Together with an NS Virm if there is any space! And they would only have new additional assets like
    - Safety systems
    - signals
    - ATB
    - railway crossing
    - Catenary portals
    - Signs
    - Maybe another track bed

Probably a lot more wish hasn't been mentioned yet. It seems most unlikely unless ChrisTrains ever wanted to start as a third parties Pary Developer then it is quite possible. But there is always hope
    this may still be a possibility to a near future.
    ezfz.jpg

etezt.jpg

reze.jpg

ezrez.jpg

yyrty.jpg

9. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I agree, I'd love to see the older Dutch rolling stock, but I fear that if we'd to see something Dutch, it'd be modern plastic stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  10. rcdevisser

rcdevisser Active Member

If Chris will participate in developing for TSWx is a question to ask him about. Never the less in the case of Christrains I prefer the older engines and EMU's he already created like the "Apekop", NS1600, NS2200. and the "Koploper".

Much more preferable are the trains created by Dutch Classic (Images credited to: Dutch Classic) in order to get the 60's and the 70's back instead of the NS trains of the present time. Especially the "old Line" from Amsterdam to Rossendaal Passing the most famous bridges. Like the elevated tracks in Delft. The elevated tracks, bridges and bascular bridge in Rotterdam "De Hef". The longest Bridge in the NL, the "Moerdijk" bridge. Have the canopes from the famous Amsterdam Central Station, Haarlem, including is platform signal box. Den Haag Hollands Spoor. The Rotterdam South area with its branch lines and yards working the hugh amounts of harbours

The Old line has a hugh variety of landscapes passing meadows of flowers as we all know about my country.
    The famous old Dutch Wind mills. I love them, they are more suited to the landscape instead of the Wind turbines creating energy.

What we need is this rolling stock
    The famous "Dog Head" EMU's
    DC06-002.jpg

The streamlined "Mice Nose" EMU's
    dc11-001-xl.jpg

The Dutch American Class 1200. They ran the Dutch railroads avan after teir retirement in the late 90's on different Freight companies in different liveries as well. They were seen until 2017 hauling freight trains
    dc03-016.jpg

The NS1100 (Offspring from the SNCF BB8100) with the "Bolkop" Coaches are this train apeares in the early 70's. These "Bolkop" Coaches did work international trains throughout Europe
    dc01-013.jpg

Plan E Coaches. A stand-alone Coach developed from the middle carriages of the "Hondekop" EMU's.
    dc09-020.jpg

Together with the Rolling stock of Chris Trains that fits the eraand as mentioned above it will be majestic and marvellous to drive the Dutch Classic trains as they once served the Dutch countrysides. And yes Class 11 and 77 have to be part of it as well. The NS1500 (EM2, Class 77) have to be part of the DLC's as well. Hauling the old Coaches as shown as above between Den Haag and Venlo. Quite often I was on these trains hauled by the NS1500. She and the 1200 were my favourite engines that worked the Dutch railroads.

Concerning signal types.
    The NS installed the 1946 signal system strongly based on the US Search light Signal System
    The present signal system now has its roots in this signals. trhe Signal system that came into service in 1954 was a direct descenant from the 1946 signal system but simplified, The (Non-Working) ATB display and system is visible at the control desk of the ICE3 in TSWx. ATB is linked to the signal system of 1954 and is USA originated and has been expanded over the years even though ETCS and ERTMS is now slowly taking over.

The cab systemn is present in TSWx at the US electrified routes in the north east of the US. LIRR, New Jersey Transit. Amtrak and some more railroad companies do use this system as wel all know when driving US electrified routes.

Therefore Installing ATB in TSWx should not be difficult. It is only a matter of changing the Signal aspects according the Dutch ATB Signal System. Dovetail Games does have that experience already.

I urge DTG to have this route done and lets run the Dutch most famous Railroad line and lets become part of the British Rail London to Amsterdam line. Via Harwich-Hoek van Holland. Let do this........!!!!!

11. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

Count me in for some Netherlands, seems interesting and a lot different compared to others, the trains look like they’d be fun to use also.

No idea which route and where but something scenic with German layers already in the game would be good.

• Like Like x 1
  12. rcdevisser

rcdevisser Active Member

German layers doesn't cope with the Dutch countrysides. Neither the track bed does.
    Therefore German layers are inappropiate to use in the Netherlands.

A small example are the Meadows and Fields. Farmland does have water trenches which are unique and no other
    country elsewere has this type of trenches.

An other small example are the houses and especially the mansions that are in Amsterdam, Haarlem and other cities that lasted since the medivals. No were else in Europe/world these type of houses are found.

A third example is the road design. The road design, road signs, road lay out, side walks, etc, etc, hughly differs from the surrounding countries.
    For this reason all assets and dlc's has to be designed and created seperately from standard layers.

13. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Pretty confident there's some international traffic, both passenger and freight, so there's at least a limited possibility to use German trains on Dutch tracks.

14. driverwoods#1787

Me too and the best value is actually making this an extension of HRR becoming Hollandstrecke Duisburg Bochum Arnhem 145 km 90 miles that way we have busy a busy Mülheim an der Ruhr Styrum with HRR S3s following a Netherlands bound freight train. Even challenging operating an iron ore train over HRR tracks

• Like Like x 1