Pc : Getting Started

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Coastway trainspotter, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Hi everyone ,

Recently I have been considering getting a pc to play games like TS , The bus , and other titles . Now the main problem here is money . Whilst I would like a new pc , I just can’t afford one . I was wondering if a used one would be any good , for about £350 ? I’m not bothered about a monitor or anything else , just the pc . Would a used £350 pc be good enough to run TS and other games ?

Thanks

2. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

If the specs meet the minimum then you should be fine. My computer isn't exactly sporty but runs TS perfectly fine with lowered settings. Also bear in mind that if you spend £350 on a second hand PC now, that's £350 you don't have for a better PC later. If you are prepared to wait you could get a more beefy computer later on which would potentially last longer (it won't become obsolete as soon).

3. Coastway trainspotter

How much would a pc cost to meet the minimum specs ?

4. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

A new PC, maybe ~£700. It really depends on where you purchase it from and how close to minimum specs you want.
    Just look around and see what is available. You can also play some older DLC somewhat smoothly below minimum specs.
    (I'm probably not the person to ask about current computer deals, I don't really follow that sort of stuff).

5. Coastway trainspotter

One more question , would a used pc for about £400 be any good ? I’m on a very tight budget

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Quoting a price means nothing as we do not know what it's specs are.

It might have Windows 10 or it might have Windows 7.
    The Graphics card might or might not be suitable
    The amount of RAM might be ok or not.

Compare the specs of what you are thinking of buying with what you need to run the game.

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

It depends what components it was comprised of.

8. Coastway trainspotter

9. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

That will be a miserable TS experience unless you really lower settings. That website is full of crap as well, as there's no way that is capable of "4K gaming". Unfortunately, your budget is just not there in order to get a good gaming experience with TS. Despite being an old DX9 game, it does require quite a bit of GPU grunt and single core CPU performance.

10. westcastlerail

westcastlerail Active Member

Hi Saltychips

Think you’ve been given some good advice about avoiding the second hand PC market if possible.

I was in the same position this time last year, playing TSW2 on Xbox, but longing of being able to drive the longer routes and better trains on ts2020, but not sure which PC to start with.

Then last November (Black Friday sale) a new mid range gaming pc popped up as an Aldi special buy off all places.

So I took the plunge and joined the pc gamers, and have Never looked back since.

As others have said, shop around and buy in the sales if you can.

Buying in store, expect to pay quite a bit more, but online only PC retailers like BOX do gaming PC sales quite regularly (think they have one on currently) so you can pick up a bargain.

Good luck and hope you can get driving soon!

11. Coastway trainspotter

Thanks , what was the approximate price of your pc when you bought it , and how much would it usually have costed ? I understand if you can’t remember , but if you do , brilliant

12. westcastlerail

westcastlerail Active Member

It was £750.00, but they did have a slightly cheaper one for £650,but the graphic card was not so good.

The same spec PC that I brought was listed on Currys for £1150.00

So far the PC has handled everything brilliantly, especially TS2020 which I just love playing.
    Can now drive complete services using various linked up DLC from Euston-Glasgow, KX - Edin, Pad-Penzance

Also took the plunge into flying on MS Flight Sim and DCS World, and racing on Assetto Corsa and Project Cars and its handled everything well so far (even in VR as well which Father Christmas brought!).

Cheapest Gaming PC on BOX at the moment is £454.00 but does not include a graphics card. Give them a call and see what they would suggest.

BOX also have refurbished section as well, they don't have much in there at the moment gaming wise, but worth keeping an eye on.

My final decision to buy was made to keep me entertained during the long lockdown evenings and weekends, so decided to up the budget a bit and it certainly paid off.

Although I can appreciate that a bit more harder now the pubs are now open!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021