West Somerset Railway

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by marcsharp2, Aug 27, 2021.

1. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

Over the past week I've been quick to vent my anger and frustration at apparent lack of progress on the PS4, So this time I'm going to be quick to praise.

The West Somerset Railway upgrade is fantastic, I love that rolling stock is now in sidings, including Carriages, Wagons and Locos, Now looks more alive. I love the 101 and also that I can now drive the NTP 47 on the route. Visually looks even better. Absolute fantastic work by the preservation team and everyone involved. Can't wait to see future routes upgraded to a similar standard. Top notch

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 16
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

Your pictures have inspired me to bite the bullet and download the update. 15gb in 15 hours. Should be ready at about 0330.

• Like Like x 5
  3. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Yep I noticed all the improvements on WSR as well. So much better.

Having the Class 101 DMU in WSR is also great but it’s quite hard to keep it below the slow speed limits. Quite a challenge.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Ouch, I feel the pain chap

• Like Like x 5
  5. photonmonkey

photonmonkey Well-Known Member

Yep it does look lots better but the bugged carriage lights that shine through the floor and roof are still there, which is minor but still annoying and obvious.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Lion-Face

Lion-Face Member

I have to agree wholeheartedly! The work done is beautiful and makes me look forward to further work done by the preservation team. Hope they don't feel too much pressure with the high bar they have set now!

It is the route I've been running since firing it up on PS5 and I have been very impressed by the upgrade, both with the preservation crew and the new console. Running through the journey again has been a real pleasure.

Train Sim World 2_20210825214302~2-01.jpeg

• Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. stephen220378

stephen220378 Active Member

Why is the drivers uniform exactly the same as the one on Sand Patch Grade. I'm pretty sure the shops in Somerset don't sell the same stuff as ones in the arse end of America

• Like Like x 3
  8. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

In the Preserved railways I've visited, Train crews don't really have a uniform as such outside of a Hi-Viz and overalls

• Like Like x 2
  9. photonmonkey

photonmonkey Well-Known Member

I have to say I have now re-run most of the route and it is one of the best Preservation Crew revisits so far. The route just feels more alive and vibrant, the extra rolling stock the crossing gates it all adds to the experience. I am not sure if the visuals are better with the new engine but it just seems overall a better route now. I jumped onto MSB to check out the improvements and although I noticed the obvious TSW2 skies and the PIS nothing else seemed to jump out at me like it did on WSR. Might be just me of course :)

• Like Like x 4
  10. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I agree, this is a super route now. Adam and his team have done a great job.

I only have this route on PC, but it’s so nice, that next time it’s in a sale, I might add it to my PlayStation as well so I can play it on a bigger screen.

• Like Like x 2
  11. shhweeet#4292

Well! After singing the praises for WSR after the update today I’ve noticed whilst doing a Class 101 DMU run I was forever getting over speed penalties and losing 15 AP even though I never broke the speed limit once. To cap it all I got to Blue Anchor on time and the crossing gates closed. Another train came into the station before they closed and when it was time for us both to go we both were stuck at red lights and in my case closed gates which never changed or opened. Cue abandon game and about an hour of my time wasted yet again. :mad:

DTG’s crap quality control strikes again. :|

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ps4Player

Ps4Player Well-Known Member

Did you save and reload before this happens? Same happend to me but with a save game at WSR.

• Like Like x 2
  13. shhweeet#4292

Yes.

But I’ve only had problems with saving on scenarios never a specific service run. Seems like the saving bug isn’t just on scenarios? Actually now you mention it I did have a saving problem a while ago on a Minehead shunting scenario in WSR so that must be it. Don’t save on anything to do with WSR! :( Anyway I’ll redo that Class 101 DUM service run again sometime without saving to see what’s what. I can’t explain why I was getting over speeding penalties though unless wheel slip causes you to get them. Still the hud should go in to the yellow when you get them and mine didn’t. I tend to keep about 1 or 2 mph below the speed limit on WSR especially in the recently added Class 101 DMU because it’s quite responsive and tricky to modulate on the exact speed limit with the vacuum brakes. Mind you I’ve noticed this possible over speeding bug on other routes as well so the only thing I can think of is it IS maybe wheel slip that’s causing it but it doesn’t make the hud go yellow on the speed indicator?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  14. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

There was a change at some point to the core game where the overspeeding was put to the lower end of the speed limit (10.9mph is now considered overspeeding on a 10mph section). The action points HUD correctly states you were overspeeding but the speedometer HUD only turns yellow at 11mph (even though something like 10.7mph is considered overspeeding).

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Birita

Birita Well-Known Member

Just notice this aswell...

• Like Like x 4
  16. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I just had a Sunday morning run on the 1015 from Bishops to Minehead in the Class 33. Loved it. The Blue 47 passed me at Williton, the class 40 and 37 were at Williton Sheds and further down a 101 passed me in a station and Minehead had the 52, 20 and 45 along with various trucks and coaches. Added to that on PS5 there were a crowd load of passengers getting on and off along the route.
    Very nice run. Great work

• Like Like x 7
  17. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Agree wholeheartedly. WSR has become my go-to route when I need a relaxing break. It's much improved since last month's update, has a great selection of driving and AI locos and rolling stock. I especially like the Class 47 and I love the station models, the ambient soundtrack, and the track work really benefited from the update.

• Like Like x 3
  18. johnny69wells

johnny69wells Active Member

I was doing to beach scenario, noticed crossing gates shut, then open.
    Great work.;)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Kobebeef

Kobebeef Active Member

How do you get the gronk to shunter at minehead ? I only get other locos there.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  20. shhweeet#4292

Re did the specific Class 101 DMU timetable run without saving and it worked perfectly.

Don’t save on WSR, at least not on runs that go towards Minehead otherwise there is a big chance you will be faced with a closed crossing gate at Blue Anchor station that won’t open for you.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Lion-Face

Lion-Face Member

Sorry for the late reply. It was a scenario involving the class 08, not part of the timetable. When I took that photo I was going through the journey again having to start fresh on the PS5 version

• Like Like x 1
  22. Kobebeef

Kobebeef Active Member

Ah I see :) thanks
    Just completed the wsr collection, it truly is a stunning route now.

• Like Like x 2