London Commuter Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Ant Craft, Sep 19, 2021.

1. cwf.green

cwf.green Well-Known Member

Not this take again... DTG is not a clone of N people that are distributed across different projects and can all perform the same task. If DTG is developing a branch line for DRA but (for example) the Reigate station is not up to standard, it does *not* mean that the branch line for DRA was developed at the expense of Reigate's quality.

• Like Like x 4
  2. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Which is exactly why it is important to provide feedback before the abomination that is Reigate station makes it to release.

If it was just the building I'd believe this was the case, however the entire station is off. I didn't actually recognise that screenshot as Reigate, and that's despite me knowing Reigate very well.

Slightly off? It's about as accurate as me telling you a Sheep is a Cow.

• Like Like x 10
  3. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

If they're still modelling the station, that would presumably include the underpasses and quite a bit of surrounding detail. I think you're potentially getting your knickers in a twist about something that isn't even finished.

If you're trying to mark out space in UE editor, it takes seconds to clone a building and drag it to a spot where something else might go later, once the scenery team have added it to your library. Fools and bairns should never see half‐done work.

• Like Like x 2
  4. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Wow -- another tempest in a teapot thread -- who would have ever thought that would happen on this forum????

• Like Like x 10
  5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

If it's not finished then they shouldn't have posted a picture of it. Even saying "It's a work in progress" only just covers it...
    I am "more happy" with wonky cranes as placeholders (I doubt they were placeholders) than I am with a block of flats as a station building

And DTG also know that the wolf pack on this forum is likely to rip apart anything thats more than slightly off

• Like Like x 4
  6. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Any particular reason you've resorted to insults? Other than the possible placeholder of a station building, I imagine the rest of the issues will make it to release.

The underpass can't really be seen from the platform anyways, so it's possible that's actually there in game anyways.

• Like Like x 2
  7. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

The way I see it is that I’ve lost count of the number of pre/post-release streams where Matt and Sam are sat there looking like school children who’ve just had a roasting from the Headmaster.

Normally the form is that Sam says forthrightly how they’ve stuffed up, how it definitely isn’t good enough, how they will learn the lessons and definitely be better next time. Matt sits there looking glum and takes the (somewhat setup) verbal pasting from his pal. FWIW I think those two guys are genuine types who really do give a stuff.

The first time this happened everyone seemed to be really happy that they’d finally got it, they’re finally listening. As I’ve said, I've lost count of how
    many times this has since happened, and the party line is always the same. So we are where we are. A few screenshots don’t paint the whole picture obviously, but when you take the state of some of the content in them and put it alongside this purported delay (which I’ve still not seen official confirmation of) it certainly paints at least some of it, and it looks a bit too familiar to me.

No one would be happier than me if this was all a storm in a teacup, the route is at the same level as Dresden and Reigate station is a faithful recreation of the real world. Past experience suggests, however, that this might not be the case.

A lot of the people that are on these forums regularly have been around since the start, have spent a lot of money on this game (and probably significantly more on its predecessor) and want to see it succeed, improve and grow. They’re also probably the ones that get a bit grumpy when the two-steps forward one-step back hoopla plays out for the umpteenth time.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 17
  8. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

It's a proverb that seemed particularly apt, thought I'd share. :)

Which would make this even less of an issue.

9. ARuscoe

The ones who have been here from the start are still likely to put their views forth, but hopefully they just get on with it after that.
    Don't forget that for every person who comes on and shouts loudly about "everything breaking the game, it's the end of the world!" there's another person who will take a legitimate concern and make that concern into something life changing... Funny enough never life affirming...
    Anyway!

• Like Like x 2
  10. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I think it’s all being overthought. I’m waiting until I see it on a stream before I start jumping about on tables either way about it. I’ve only done 10 services on Dresden and about same on Boston so I’m not fussed either way yet. The BML trains from what I’ve seen are nigh on to what we have too

11. JetWash

Fair points. I’d like to think there are a core of constructive contributors that give credit where it’s due, but call out things that seem a bit sketchy. They/we don’t always agree but we all want the game to succeed.

The “this is the worst game ever and DTG are criminals” (I’m paraphrasing) types add nothing to the debate really.

• Like Like x 2
  12. chieflongshin

Passionate players will always rightly critique. I’m not local to BML so I wouldn’t know whether a station is in the right place or if a shell garage should be there instead. Just have to see what comes through the pipeline. Either way delaying release is GOOD

• Like Like x 3
  13. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

Did anyone notice if to grass was the correct colour and length or if the trees had the right quantity and colour of leaves on them?

• Like Like x 1
  14. JetWash

The grass that’s meant to be on the platform? Couldn’t tell you, because it’s not there ;)

• Like Like x 6
  15. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The staffer assigned to run around a dev build taking screenshots for the article was not one of the route-building team, had no idea whether a particular bit was finished yet, and was only concerned with "get a pic of trains at a station"

• Like Like x 2
  16. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Then you could argue it was a good job he did release the screenshot so that the forum could pick out the errors. If he hadn't of picked it the screenshots might have made it into release causing more delays. Of course DTG could have known that these screenshots needed altering but they haven't said that.

People sometimes forget what the forums are for. Any decent games company wants a forum that picks out the errors and bugs, the way you praise the game is by buying it in the first place.

• Like Like x 2
  17. LeadCatcher

I have to laugh a bit at the passion displayed pre/post release on DLC on these forums — old timer having been here since the first days of the forums, have yet had my day ruined by anything DTG or any other game developer has done or not done,,, it is an entertainment product, while I do dislike some of the bugs and over sights - never does it perturb me to anger or depression - just a shrug of the shoulders and make another run to get what enjoyment I can. If I ever stop getting enjoyment from the product — will move on to greener pastures.

• Like Like x 9
  18. ARuscoe

I believe JD is the "Community Director", so he is responsible for all content put out to the community, regardless of who actually did the post

THIS...

19. ARuscoe

It depends. If they're pointing out something new then maybe, but there are some who just endlessly post negativity
    Personally I did wonder whether wonky cranes were worth pointing out in the first place, but the wires hanging at 45 degrees were definitely a moment my head went "Huh?"

• Like Like x 1
  20. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

In the grand scheme of things the world will not end just because the right building has not been used in a work in progress screenshot, but a least we can have a giggle about it.

• Like Like x 2
  21. dhekelian

You sound like a typical game Devs dream especially companies like EA and Bethesda.

22. breblimator

breblimator Guest

today's roadmap stream

Untitled.png

Is this heresy?

• Like Like x 1
  23. ARuscoe

The 465 does NOT run on the BML IRL. It runs on the CML, which runs alongside the BML for a mile or so until turning East
    The in game route BML may well have 465s reflected on the CML going into Victoria, but they shouldn't cross over from the Southeastern side of the station to the Southern side (Gatwick Express services run from the Southern side)

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

No. The 465’s don’t run on BML but do use Victoria so they’ll be represented as AI trains.

• Like Like x 2
  25. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Thanks for the info, gentlemen. It's a pity, it can't be integrated somehow. But the justification leaves no illusions /o\

• Like Like x 1
  26. ARuscoe

The screenshots show that the 465s will be on the route, probably as AI. I believe there are crossovers that allow SE to run to the S platforms, but generally only when works require. Other than that they don't meet, similar to at Clapham Junction there is no crossover between the Southern and South Western lines, but in that case there is NO cross over at all, with the only link being at Wimbledon

• Like Like x 2
  27. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

A shame for those who saw the screenshot and rushed out to buy the 465...or...a successfully placed screenshot.

• Like Like x 4
  28. ARuscoe

Don't know why it's a shame. The 465 is great fun and probably the best train we have on the SEHS. Certainly better for me than the electrostars. I'd happily have the North Kent Lines (all three) through to Cannon Street and Charing Cross over the BML

• Like Like x 3
  29. breblimator

breblimator Guest

and this
    coincidence? I do not think so :) // just kidding

30. LeadCatcher

No, I just do not get wrapped around the axle on things that do not really matter in real life.

• Like Like x 6
  31. dhekelian

That just about includes everything except breathing and eating and very subjective. If we all just concentrated on things that mattered in real life we wouldn't be playing video games would we?

• Like Like x 4
  32. ARuscoe

You don't have to base a life ethos around video games. Some of the moaners on here do seem to live in absolutes (or at least talk that way) for instance "becomming very angry if the PIS is the wrong type"...
    There are a very many shades of grey in between

• Like Like x 2
  33. LeadCatcher

If that is your view, I guess so, but for me, I find there is no reason to stress over entertainment products..
    If you feel you must, so be it.

• Like Like x 3
  34. dhekelian

All I'm saying is you have extremes on both sides. People who take it too far and there are others who just defend the devs cause they can do no wrong. It's finding the balance I suppose. But someone showing a bit of passion for the game is not a bad thing is it? They just want the game to be the best it can be no? That is how I read it unless they are being abusive then it is not worth effort engaging.

• Like Like x 3
  35. ARuscoe

And people who see there's nothing in between... For most people on here there certainly is

36. chieflongshin

Stream cancelled on Thursday

Prediction is

28TH Dresden update and branch line stream
    30TH BML preview stream
    14th BML launch

• Like Like x 1
  37. dhekelian

Are you saying most people on here cannot see a balance?

38. ARuscoe

I'm sure some cannot, I'm sure many more talk as if there is not (especially when talking about others, usually in a scoffing tone)
    And there are many more who read, laugh or sigh, and move on with their lives (mainly because they just can't be arsed)

39. LeadCatcher

Reading, Laughing and sighing…. Best medicine at tines… :)

• Like Like x 2
  40. ARuscoe

Add Irony to the list

• Like Like x 1
  41. dhekelian

Sighing? I find talking to people helps.

42. solicitr

Talking to people usually just leaves me depressed as to the condition of humanity

• Like Like x 1
  43. dhekelian

The trick is to talk to the 'Right' kind of people but your right, some people believe in such rubbish nowadays.

44. LeadCatcher

I have found most don’t want to talk — they want to lecture until you agree with their point of view — hence I sigh and move on as we should from this off topic conversation

• Like Like x 5
  45. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I really hope this route meets UK fans' expectations. I just got through reading the other thread on London Commuter and the excitement is palpable, frenzied really. A few screenshots, some promised sound apps, not even a preview stream yet, but many of the posters are salivating like Pavlovian dogs. There's all kinds of talk about additional content that is simply pie in the sky and cannot/will not happen. This dlc had better be the Second Coming of TSW. I'd like to think that they have a life beyond video games but it seems not. One poster said that the route was " very important for society". Don't know whether to just chuckle or practice my eye roll.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  46. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

To be honest, I think there is a lot to be excited about. All things considered, I am not really a fan of the Southern Region, and 3rd Rail units have very limited appeal for me and I do prefer historic content over modern, with a few exceptions, but I am still chomping at the bit to get my hands on this route.

Not only is it a proper terminus to terminus route but it is also jam-packed full of services. But the main thing that appeals to me is the fact that the British content finally seems to be becoming tied together in one route. We're getting content from the East Coast, Southeastern, apparently the West Somerset and potentially the Great Western all populating one route, for the first time I think we'll really begin to appreciate the diversity of operators, trains and liveries that the UK has to offer on one route in a way that hasn't been possible before.

I'm less excited for the route itself but what it represents for the future of routes as a whole. Before all the content felt kind of isolated to its own route, sure you could swap out locos for ones from other routes or run rail tours and freight but it always felt limited. The Brighton Mainline feels like it's all coming together in a way we haven't seen before for British content and I hope it is a sign of things to come.

Edit: It also means I can fill in more of my spreadsheet with layers :cool:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  47. solicitr

I note from the new screenshots that they have fixed the wonky cranes at Battersea.

• Like Like x 5
  48. So you're criticising people for having expectations for the most requested british route since the game was made, and your only argument is the age old excuse that people have no life outside videogames? Maybe people have busy, stressful lives outside of videogames which is why we come back after a hard day of work to enjoy an immersive experience where we get to disconnect from our real problems.

You're not going to make many friends in this community by making fun of people who are passionate about trains & videogames, since that is specifically what we are all here for, but hey, to each his own.

• Like Like x 5
  49. Crosstie

I certainly would not make fun of anyone who is passionate about trains since I count myself among those folks. However, talking about BML being important for society and similar apocalyptic sentiments is over-the-top in my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  50. Crosstie

You're right! The laws of gravity have been restored. That just leaves the mystery station as a major question mark.

I really like that viaduct. Where is it exactly? And I also like what I suppose is Brighton Station.