Bakerloo Speed Limits Updated Or Not?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by WaveyDavey, Sep 21, 2021.

1. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

I've just had a run on Bakerloo for the first time in a few months and noticed that after leaving Queens Park towards Harrow & Wealdstone the line speed changes still don't come into effect until the rear of the train has passed the sign.

I thought the speed limit changes had been changed to the front of the train in the last update or am I mistaken?

2. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

They do change at the front, but only in the tunnels. North of Queen's Park, you're on Network Rail which means speed limit increases are effectivefrom the rear.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  3. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

They're still LUL running lines north of Queens Park not NR. (Or should I say I don't send any of our staff to work on them). The lines that run adjacent are NR lines though.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  4. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

In the tutorial section i made a post with the route learning videos of the real drivers of the bakerloo line.

Anyway in the tunnels you can accelerate from the speed sign / T- boards right away. As soon you leave queens park the train has to pass the speed sign in its entire lenght before acceleration is allowed.

Speed reductions are valid from the point of the speed sign.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

But as soon as you have passed Queens Park, you are no longer on a route where only the Bakerloo tube trains (that are all the same length) run, but also London Overground services. That means from this point on, trains running the line have different lengths, and therefore the triggering at the front no longer properly works and it goes back to standard. An indicator of that change are the different format of the speed signs (rectangular vs round).

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  6. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

In the overground section after queens park to harrow & wealdstone there "rules" are like the same as in other route like "northern trans pennine".

So yes if the entire train has passed the sign you are allowed to accelerate. And if your train is shorter this point will be earlier. It takes some time after queens park, especially with 10mph only.

7. RobSkip

RobSkip Well-Known Member

The Watford DC Lines are Network Rail-owned infrastructure, regardless of who maintains them.

• Like Like x 2