Thoughts On Tsw - Realism Vs Immersion

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by FD1003, Sep 22, 2021.

1. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Warning, this post is more like a blog post, and while reading it before posting it's maybe too much me talking to myself, but that's why it's is off, topic, I just wanted to share some of my thoughts.

I think it's no secret TSW is not the most realistic simulator on the market, but it surely is one of the most imemersive ones, and that for me is much more important for something I just want to do in my free time.
    While surely I like very realistic games, such as ZuSi, and I enjoy running them from time to time, I think I would never spend nearly as much time as I spent playing TSW.

Timetable mode + incredibile immersion this game brings makes it IMO the best all around train simulator, even if it's not the most realstic, or if it hasn't the graphics of the latest AAAs. Overall it's the best compromise between the two
    645.jpg
    The above image is from an italian train simulator used for actual training by real drivers (it's also available for purchase HERE if anyone is interested), while it's fantastic, I just can't see myself enjoying the experience, same goes for ZuSi.

I think if you are here in the TSW forums instead of the ZuSi ones, I can assume you can't have too much of a different mindset to mine.

Also while I very often critique DTG and what the do/did (and IMO they made some pretty bad decisions, of couse this opinion is just from the outside looking in, so...), I still overall feel like I have to say thank you for bringing this simulator to the market, and making it accessible to me on console (even if sometimes I feel like it's holding back its potential).

While I might not be the most grateful people here on the forums, I have voted with my wallet in favour of TSW and DTG (maybe too much) and I really hope they both have a long life, and will continue improving, looking back at Rapit Transit it seems like watching some archeological find lol, hopefully it will be the same for BRD in 3 years time. Although I think giving them honest feedback and critiques is crucial for that improvement, and that's why I am often critical here on the forums (although I admit I crossed the line more than once)...

But don't get me wrong, apart from a few things I am still in love with this game since pretty much CSX: Heavy Haul (I then switched to xbox when GWE was out if anyone is wondering).

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  2. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I cannot judge realism in terms of physics (I was traveling only as a passenger), but the overall authenticity in TSW is very high. Yesterday and today I do the 363 Timetable. I often wait for a track to be free so I have a lot of time to observe. It looks crazy in motion. Scenography, trains. In some time SimRail will come in and maybe Run 8 v3 - the context will start to be a bit wider. Today, in my opinion, there is no better game about trains than TSW. BR o7

• Like Like x 2
  3. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Yes, I do love just looking at the BR363 in motion, the fact that every little tiny moving bit is actually modelled is fantastic. It's probabily the only train I drive more from the outside than the cab.

Run8 is also a very strong title, as will be SimRail, but IMO TSW is just a tiny bit better.

• Like Like x 1
  4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Yeah, the 363 is super-good but what I mean is the whole game, the whole scene.
    When observing stations in TSW we meet a solid illusion :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Geth_2234

Geth_2234 Well-Known Member

I agree TSW is the best train simulator out there in my eyes and the only one that I really want to spend my money in. DTG I know they have their flaws but they do have there strengths and they do come out on top for me as one of the best game developers out there (maybe I'm biased because train simulators are my favourite) but I can understand the criticism they get because with some of there releases they raise the bar so high so people expect that same quality in all there releases but with some of there releases they do tend to slip a bit and quality drops below their usual standard but they do deal with it quite well and are mostly honest with the community, overall they do a good job.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

A disclaimer first - as a console player, I don‘t really have any other options than TSW. This will obviously affect my view on TSW.

What really sells me on TSW is the combination of three things.
    1. The freedom to walk around. I played a lot of MSTS when it came out and one thing that always lessened my enjoyment of it was the limited perspective. Sam often says that you‘re the train in TS and the train driver in TSW. That‘s exactly what I felt in MSTS. It didn‘t feel like I was in control of the train, it felt like I was the train. With TSW, I can finally feel like the train driver. I can walk around in the cab, get out of the cab and do all sorts of shenanigans - including cold starts and entering engine rooms (where modeled). It‘s wonderful for immersion.
    2. The improved graphics. I already touched on MSTS. I also dabbled a few hours in Open Rails. Just to get this out of the way, I‘m not looking for the newest AAA graphics, but I just don‘t really feel immersed looking at the far more basic graphics found in other train simulators. Zusi seems very interesting to me and I‘m sure I‘d love the accurate depiction of physics and safety systems in it, but I wouldn‘t be able to spend as much time in something like Zusi (or similar products like Run8) because the scenery is just not good enough for me to feel true immersion.
    3. The (somewhat) realistic depiction of physics and safety systems. Usually, I say that physics and accurate representations of a loco‘s control elements are the most important bits to me. Thankfully, it seems that TSW is getting more realistic with every release. The recently released Riesa-Dresden, for example, is a true step-up for the realism of German trains - the brake modes, the improved physics, the better simulation of the somewhat unique Br 143 controls, etc.

Ultimately, TSW may not be the most realistic simulator as of this moment (although physics are steadily improving), but the quite high level of physics simulation together with the visual quality and the freedom to move around create a unique package that truly allows me to feel like a train driver. The train simulator genre has certainly come a long way from MSTS.

This turned into quite the wall of text, didn‘t it? :D I just wanted to share my views. There‘s so much negativity on the forums that it can‘t hurt to share why we enjoy TSW so much as well.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I agree with your positive assessment in general, but it's swings and roundabouts. We've lost some important features along the way. Three examples (and there are more):
    1.The save and resume function was and is much better in MSTS and TS.
    2. The ability to mix and match. The file system ties all locos to a home route. This was not and is not the case in previous and other current iterations of the game, where you could and can purchase separately and mix locos and rolling stock with any route.
    3. No editor. Both MSTS and TS allowed our creative juices to flow and created a big, healthy and prolific 3rd party industry.
    4. Some scenery textures are not as good as in TS, water is my favorite example.

(I know that's 4, but I used to work for the Spanish Inquisition.)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  8. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Definitely, the biggest one for me is n.2 not only for tying locos and route togheter, but it's a shame we are so limited in our choice to run timetable services. I made a post some time ago where I proposed a "off the rail" mode for timetable, it would be so useful, both to use more realistic trains (BR423 on SKA, BR425 on MSB), but also to just have fun or try other more strange stuff, like running ICE services with a BR101, or using a TGV Duplex as an ICE service on SKA, maybe with a Thalys livery.

In my mind scenario designer should be more focused on events out of the ordinary, or fictional so for example stuff like Landslide on ECW, or rescuing a broken down train, or a special service that happens once in a blue moon.

Editor is another big point, hopefully they haven't completely abandoned the idea, but yeah... it's a pretty big deal.

9. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Your points are excellent and balance out my admittedly very positive assessment of TSW. As I said, I‘m a console player. Maybe that‘s why I‘m more willing to just accept TSW‘s shortcomings. If I want to enjoy train simulation, it‘s TSW or nothing for me.

Certainly did not expect that.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Nobody expects........

• Like Like x 3
  11. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

8bc.jpg

• Like Like x 3