Convince Me

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wcwood92, Sep 20, 2021.

1. wcwood92

wcwood92 Well-Known Member

I'm a huge fan of trains and TSW2.
    I really want to like Train Simulator because of all the routes available, and the length of routes. It's just hard to look at next to TSW2.
    I understand it's an older game but I really WANT to like it.
    Convince me.
    Are there any mods you use to improve the realism and visuals?

2. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

No.

There are literally thousands of YouTube videos covering the whole plethora of TS's merits and shortfalls, go watch some. Then decide for yourself and either get it and play it, or don't.

3. pugilist3

pugilist3 Active Member

Check out the RailworksAmerica.com file library. Lots of mods!

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Yes.

• Like Like x 3
  5. jklimentowski

jklimentowski Active Member

240882035_1952947898196074_5882506412917435967_n.jpg Not sure if this will convince you, but in TS you can drive journeys this long. Almost 6 hours of driving on real life routes. No other simulator is even near.

• Like Like x 2
  6. tsonboard

tsonboard Member

Ts2021 looks great in 4K

• Like Like x 1
  7. jeff.engle

jeff.engle Active Member

I ended up getting both. Very different games. TS2021 for scenario building, variety of routes, length of routes. TSW for more timetable, different interaction to use trains- walking through the engine and train, better graphics. I enjoy both and have about 500 hours in each. Check out YouTube and select what you think you will like. Different games really.

8. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Both have different play options.
    TSW is mainly graphical based and built on unreal engine to work on consoles as well as PC but has a full working timetable and the ability to explore on foot.

TS21 doesn't have a timetable function but has full scenario and route building options along with quickdrive. TS21 has been around for quite a long time so has lots of add-ons (both routes and locos) but isn't as graphically polished as TSW. There are also many 3rd party routes (freeware and payware) as well as loco improvements from 3rd parties.
    TS21 also has some longer routes out there and some routes have actually been merged so that you can run the full length of the route (ECML, WCML and others).

Both are highly enjoyable though if you want to drive trains.
    I started out with TSW2020 on the PS4, then carried on to TSW2 and have quite a few hours playing those.
    I then moved over to TS21 purely because of the wide variety of routes available (not just UK, Germany or US) and have invested a lot of money in routes, locos and 3rd party add-ons from the likes of Armstrong Powerhouse.
    I do play both simulator games depending on what I want to do and want to drive at the time. I've probably spent more hours playing TS21 on the PC though.

• Like Like x 2
  9. BeenTrain

BeenTrain Member

No need to convince anyone.....imo

If you like to ride trains in an arcade style game, go for TSW.

If you are a rail hobbyist who wants to drive a specific consist/service on a specific route, whether it is Steam, Third party, freeware or own build DLC, in an environment offering rides in predefined scenario's coming with the route, or workshop, or own build, go for TS.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. seanpholland

seanpholland Member

Exceptionally unhelpful and pointlessly rude.

TSW2 and Train Simulator are very different experiences. For TS, you have a tremendous (but expensive) selection of downloadable content, Steam engines, and routes that are way way longer than anything you'll ever see in TSW. I'm used to playing older games, so the terrible graphics typically don't bother me after a while, but TSW clearly crushes TS in this regard.

TS is great because you can probably find a niche you really enjoy due to the sheer variety. I never thought I'd really like UK trains and routes, yet that's where I spend the vast majority of my time in game.

It's good that we have both, even if I wish each had some things that the other provides.

11. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Oh no not at all...

There's always a point to me being rude.

• Like Like x 1
  12. tsonboard

tsonboard Member

This is a great example of whet you can do with 3rd party DLC in TS2021

13. Pookeyhead

Yes, indeed, but the general consensus of TSW2 players who come here asking about TS20xx is that it looks crap, when it doesn't. Being an old game, you just have to put the effort in a bit in order to bring it up to date. I can understand why people get a bit short tempered with those that make these assumptions about TS20xx over and over again.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BeenTrain

BeenTrain Member

TS with RWEnhancer, is graphically not inferior to TSW at all.

15. Pookeyhead

Add ReShade to that, and it's even better.

16. wcwood92

wcwood92 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone!
    All great information. I'll definitely check out those graphics enhancements, as that's my biggest hang up so far