Dresden - The Definitive Feedback Thread.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Aug 31, 2021.

1. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

We're in the club :). One of us...

• Like Like x 1
  2. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

^ The 185 sound does effect me, I'm 90% deaf in my tinnitus ear, but these weird sounds exacerbate the tinnitus - I just can't drive it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Well, I made my first night run on Dresden and the lighting is just as bad as I first thought after watching the preview streams. It seems to be a case of short stretches near stations of that strange orange glow which seems to have no recognizable origin, then long periods of impenetrable darkness typical of many earlier routes in the game. I hope this lighting effect is not copied to BML or any future route.
    The production of natural looking night lighting seems to still be evading the artists at DTG, along with effective headlights on German and U S locos ( I know UK locos don't have them).

4. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

I thought night time looked absolutely beautiful, and what I expect compared to what we currently have in game!

• Like Like x 5
  5. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

After playing several night time services, the new lighting has grown on me *a little*. Since the route is mostly moving traffic and not switching (like Clinchfield), the total blackness and no ambient light isn't as big a deal. Although, there still should be some. Though IMO, this is only the case if the headlights of the loco are actually decents, such that you can actually see the signs and trackside features. The 146, Talent 2, and 101 are all good (Talent 2 is the worst of the three, but still decent). The ICE is garbage for visibility though, and I haven't run freight yet b/c of the 185.5 annoying buzz. At one point if I didn't know where an 80kmh reduction was with active magnets I would've tripped PZB because the sign fades into blackness.
    Station lighting I also agree seems a little forced, almost like there's too much power in the light - like a bunch of military grade spotlights shining down.

Where the lack of any ambient light hurts the most is around dawn or dusk - where i really don't like the new lighting. You see the sun rising/setting in the atmosphere background but everything in the foreground is still absolute blackness and it doesn't look realistic. Example: 20210921025906_1.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  6. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

After reworking sounds 143 and 146, the cockpit sounds improved. The sound from the window is wonderful. But when switching to an external camera, the sounds of the locomotive were muffled, please return them.

7. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I said this a few days ago, but it's worth saying again. Dresden-Riesa is a wonderfully modeled route. From the stations and other buildings to the scenery and to the trains themselves, it's close to a master class in route creation. There's a real " rush hour " feel to it. And there's great attention to detail too. Driving the full route in the rain, everything is wet, platforms, tops of railings and retaining walls, even the roads alongside the right of way. If the night lighting was better, well...... That aside, I applaud the development team that created the route. Nice job, guys and gals.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  8. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I don't mind the night lighting but the ambient is still much too low. It is realistic that its dark at night, however when you're actually in the dark your eyes adjust and you can see an amazing amount of detail at night working on a railway with and without headlights. Headlights focus on the distance and reduce the number of surprises but ambient is what you're seeing up close. When you're looking at a computer screen you get a similar effect if the room is fully dark but not otherwise. This means the night lighting across the entire game has to be non realistic to be playable. On Cane Creek Skyhook have both moonlit nights and non moonlit nights - on the moonlit nights the night lighting is perfectly playable and I would love every night to be like this.

These shots are perfect IMHO
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Even on Clinchield in the interminable darkness its SOMETIMES really good
    [​IMG]
    If the game was like this on all routes all the time at night I would be a very happy bunny.

• Like Like x 5