Train Sim World 2 - Electrostar Duet

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Sep 23, 2021.

1. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

I would imagine and don't quote me on this perhaps the 09 is there to facilitate the needs to remove coaching stock and loco (ahem DTG Railtours) to Lovers walk Lane for servicing. The 09 would then bring said railtour back to platform xx and then loco would be on the London end to head back London or the North via Reading. It will work a little bit like the BR locos do when they get to Paddington in the 1970's timetable pack. Thats my theory, probably way off the mark but hey ho..

Hentis

• Like Like x 1
  2. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

The 09 is static, there for the visual variety rather than anything functional.

• Like Like x 11
  3. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

So it's visible even if WSR is not owned?

4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Hopefully only static in the photo rather than the route!

I'm sure many people on forum at least would want anything in the PR material to be included in the route... Too many games use "not actual footage" to cover a host of sins, and TSW doesn't need that, it has more than enough going for it anyway (would have preferred a railtour sat there personally)

5. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the update Matt. If you have the 09 on wsr will you be able to take control of it for a bit of platform shunting or is it locked out regardless of if you own WSR or not?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

Regarding the 313 it came to my mind would it technically be possible to include it as AI only even if the DLC is not owned?

So you then would be able to have a decent look at it and BML would benefit from a higher variety but if you want to actually drive it you need to pay for it.

Speaking for myself it is highly unlikely that I would buy the 313 although I enjoy ECW - just because I don't like the look of it (just personal opinion, really no offense!). But maybe if I would see it in AI action I could change my mind... who knows?

7. Joethefish

Joethefish Staff Member

You can drive it up and down the section of track it's on, but the dispatcher won't let it go past any signals with it having tasks.

• Like Like x 1
  8. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

Thanks for clarifying that. I had just made a livery for the 08 to just incase was that, oh well :D

It will make an appearance via the scenario editor tho!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  9. ARuscoe

Youtube is a great resource for "would I want to buy this?"
    Wouldnt want DTG to put something on route without paying for it because someone will work out how to unlock it (ie steal it)

10. Skyz2020

Nice work

• Like Like x 1
  11. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree with you that it should be 'unstealable' whatever that might look like - which is why I asked if something like that would be technically possible at all.

12. ARuscoe

I wouldn't want them to spend time making an asset unusable when someone can just pay a few quid for it (loco DLC are usually about half the cost of a route). Seems like overkill. I'm sure others will disagree with me on that though

13. ItsYa165

ItsYa165 Well-Known Member

Every 387 has step lights on both sides of the passenger doors

upload_2021-9-24_11-30-35.png

They're clearly not there. It's implemented for staff and passenger safety at night time for step up platforms. I get that it's a lower LOD, so forgive me if it has been modelled and lit.

• Like Like x 5
  14. ARuscoe

Better view of the light cluster on a GX 387
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  15. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

Maybe it will be similar to the Class 146 and 185 just south of Dresden Hbf?

16. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

Good spot. Hope they're able to add those step lights. It would be especially cool if they emitted a soft glow onto the platform at night time. Would be great for atmosphere.

Also do we reckon the 313 was intentionally put there as a sly tease or was it a mistake? I think it must be the former, although it's weird that the first look we get of it is it being featured as a layer on a route it's (presumably) not drivable on.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DTG Matt

As Joe said - the 09 will be there, if you own WSR, it just wont do anything.

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  18. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the reason that the 09 isn't actively used is that Brighton will be so busy on the main running lines it's going to be hard to find a time slot in the day where there's enough time for the shunter to get out of Lovers Walk, down to Brighton to pick up a railtour, shunt it back into the depot and have the hauling locomotive move to the depot also (never mind having to do it all again in reverse for a potential return trip)... all without getting in the way of a scheduled real life GX or SN service!

Obviously if we were able to do a service with it, that would be great, but if it's not possible then I think it's still nicer to have it there as bonus scenery.

• Like Like x 2
  19. NickFarrant

NickFarrant Active Member

Fantastic work!

• Like Like x 1
  20. breblimator

breblimator Guest

What other DLCs are needed to make the splendor absolute (all layers, scenery trains, etc)?

• Like Like x 2
  21. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Out of interest, why will the 09 just be a static train and not do anything? Is it there in real life? If so, what does it shunt around?

• Like Like x 2
  22. DTG Matt

You'll need to ask Joe :)

• Like Like x 1
  23. ARuscoe

See my video inserted back on page 2... No shunters have been at Brighton in five years

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  24. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Just a question related to the 09, will there be any other static trains on London Commuter, such as 377/387s in sidings during the day, or alternately any other train types from outside the route for static scenery?

• Like Like x 1
  25. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

We would all like functional trains with their own timetable but if that is not possible I prefer static trains to empty sidings because it increases the immersion a lot.

• Like Like x 9
  26. CrAzZyKiLLa

we have had in the other RH routes, so suspect the same here. They have been great additions that make the route feel more alive and really adds to the scenery!

• Like Like x 2
  27. SprattyHeath

SprattyHeath Well-Known Member

The 09 would have been used to shunt mostly the VXC slam door passenger stock & loco hauled stock right up until the early 2000s, it would be pointless to make it actually do anything since it cannot couple up to modern passenger units such as Electrostars etc.

28. ARuscoe

• Like Like x 2
  29. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Wow, they are seriously making us wait for it aren't they? Friday??!! Why not preview it on Tuesday instead of the Let's play?

Hopefully what has often felt like a never-ending wait will be worth it.

• Like Like x 4
  30. JimbobQ

JimbobQ Member

Guessing they are trying to squeeze it in around preplanned streams. Considering it just missed being moved to upcoming arrival in the last roadmap. It leads to it coming out on the 7th, so they gotta squeeze both streams in.

• Like Like x 2
  31. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Yes, given the paucity of freight operations and loco hauled cars on the UK railway these days, it's hard to imagine what shunters/switchers do, other than private industrial yards. Even in the US, most freight switching seems to be carried out by road switchers these days.

32. Ryan1997

Ryan1997 Member

I mean I honestly think at the point where you saying a station name sign or wrong light bulb has been used you really need to cut dtg some slack. If they spent 12 months building the route, making sure every light was the correct people would still find something to hate on the route about.

• Like Like x 6
  33. ARuscoe

I don't think there are that many dedicated shunters out there nowadays. The most I've seen was four last time I drove past the Steelworks in Cardiff (all 08s) but from what I can gather the 66s do their own shunting for the most part

• Like Like x 1
  34. CrAzZyKiLLa

TrainSim-Matt The article didn’t state if the 387s TPWS will be in operation, I’m guessing a key system like that would after seeing it in CCL, can you confirm yet if that’s the case? :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  35. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

You make it sound like it’s such a burden or not that important. It’s not like they have to create new assets for it or anything, they’ve already got all the required assets in their library.

Just look at Glasgow Cathcart and how detailed their stations are. There was even multiple new assets designed for the stations.

All it takes is a quick Google image/Flickr search to see what stations look like. Reference isn’t an issue, especially for modern routes. They may be using their TS1 route as reference, however.

• Like Like x 4
  36. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

There's a few out there, the likes of LSL and West Coast Railways obviously have need of them for rail tour usage so you can find some at Crewe, Carnforth and Southall. A lot of depots and yards still have them, Freightliner has one or two at Basford Hall Yard as do Arriva at the Arriva train care depot nearby. Most recently I've been passed Ilford EMU Depot in East London, they have a pair of 08s which can often be spotted from a passing train. Despite there being far fewer than there once was they are still littered all over the country if you know where to find them even if they aren't as essential as they once were.

37. Ryan1997

Ryan1997 Member

I'm not saying that, but a sign being in a different place or the wrong type of light bulb isn't going to change the gameplay. This is my local route. I'd love it to be perfect but, It'd never be released if we waited for perfect. I'd much rather that focus their efforts on gameplay rather than placing signs in exactly the right place

• Like Like x 2
  38. ARuscoe

Whilst I agree, we also know they're different teams. The scenery designers are one team, the people who make the locos another, the people who make the timetable another
    We want them ALL to be as accurate as possible within constraints, but what londonmidland says is right. There's loads of materials out there on the BML, and the furthest point of the line is 75 minutes max from DTG's office (so Matt could go there himself given he lives within walking distance of their office (as do I))

So for some, whether the signs are stuck to a lamppost or not doesn't matter. To others it has some weight, and they already have the assets on SEHS anyway so it's not like they're taking any more or less working hours

• Like Like x 3
  39. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I agree it's not game breaking, but why not do it right when you're building the route. Isn't it just as easy to put the signs on their own poles as putting them on any old utility pole that's nearby?
    I'm the last person to nitpick or count rivets, but some of these errors seem to defy explanation.

• Like Like x 4
  40. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It may not be an error. It could have been done like that to reduce the amount of platform furniture to allow the automated passengers (who are not as nimble as real people) to move more easily around the platform, or for another game reason such as a reduction of total assets. I don’t think a single station is depicted accurately in TSW but it’s not an issue most people are bothered about. It’s close, very close, and that’s how it’s always going to be.

• Like Like x 1
  41. bart2day

Absolutely. And why have they put a vending machine and a massive billboard under the canopy on the platform that doesn't exist in reality?

The wrong style lights and the station nameboards being on the lampposts rather than separate is really careless. The PIS being in the wrong place I can live with (it is in the wrong place on most station within the game).

• Like Like x 3
  42. Joethefish

Joethefish Staff Member

So the 09 is there as a little nod to 09026. It's not got anything to do as I couldn't really think of anything meaningful for it to do other than some back and forth depot runs? But decided to dedicate the time doing that to the rest of the services on the rest of the route. As the livery is pre-tops, I have given it the number that 09026 would've originally carried. Just thought it would be fun to have, that's all. :)

• Like Like x 13
  43. Skyz2020

Joe are you a DTG dev?

44. bart2day

I believe he's Joe Burgess, the author (and genius) behind the London-Brighton timetable. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  45. Joethefish

Joethefish Staff Member

:o You got me! :)
    Yes :)

• Like Like x 6
  46. Lunar_Twisted

Lunar_Twisted Well-Known Member

Will there be layers to have BML a.i. traffic on ECW and vice versa at Brighton? I'm so excited for this route.

Edit: I'm also wondering if the BR Class 375 would show up as a.i at London Victoria like with the BR Class 465 shown in the other article. That would be awesome to see a Electrostar trio.

• Like Like x 3
  47. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this route and thanks for the rush hour pass it’s worth it. I really hope one day DTG will implement the SDO system that would be so great

• Like Like x 3
  48. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

With the whole of the bml to play on I hardly think a 09 shunt around lovers walk with incompatible rolling stock is worth development time IMO ,

But it does seem strange they can't just dump an operational locomotive there like they do at Cumberland turntable

• Like Like x 2
  49. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

I was really hoping for Lewes to Keymer junction to be added, but alas, no mention of it :(

Never mind, can’t get everything you want! :)

• Like Like x 3
  50. derailed#9363

derailed#9363 Member

I'm hoping October 7th

• Like Like x 1