Guard Feature

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by d.dickson2020, Sep 21, 2021.

?
  1. Yes

57.1%
  2. No

42.9%
  1. d.dickson2020

d.dickson2020 Member

who thinks it would be cool to be a guard in TSW? getting to go through out the train checking and selling tickets and using the door control panels i think it would be a great idea probably not going to happen but would be great for a future feature of even a game dedicated to it

• Like Like x 2
  2. Irish Train sim

Irish Train sim Well-Known Member

Terrible idea, there’s a reason no one has created a game dedicated to it.

• Like Like x 4
  3. universal.chris

universal.chris Active Member

I mean kinda? I voted no, but only because while I think it would be cool, I would play it maybe once or twice on the commuter routes and go back to driving trains

• Like Like x 3
  4. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

Same here, I'd know I'd try it out a couple of times and then never touch it again and go back to driving

• Like Like x 2
  5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I was a trolly dolly on the trains in the mid nineties and remember it being activity at each stop, then nothing to do until the next stop. And how are you going to handle freeloaders, people who don't have payment, drunks etc? It's not a simple thing to recreate unless everything runs smoothly

• Like Like x 1
  6. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

I said yes because I was a guard and it would be fun to me. Although in the long run I would prefer to drive. So maybe limited use. Although it could work well on Cathcart and Inner Suburban route (when it comes) out of Moorgate/Kings Cross to Welwyn Garden Centre & Hertford in the 1970's

7. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

One day I was called to help a driver that has his CCTV monitors out of service but they couldn’t send back the train to the depot as it was in peak-hour and we couldn’t ask the 1500 passenger to leave at the station and wait for the second one with the same amount of passenger so with my colleague we took our keys to operate the doors and I did it for an hour until the last stop and god it was awful and boring so it wouldn’t be a great idea to add this to TSW and it would be a waste of ressources

• Like Like x 2
  8. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Some trains do give you the ability to "roleplay" the guard, with the guard panel there for you and usable...

That's if you can beat the driver to it :)

I don't think a Guard Mode is of any sort of priority, however.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. universal.chris

Actually now that you mention it, LIRR and Cathcart would be fun to try this out on since they have the guard key and door controls. Can't think off others right off the top of my head but I'm sure like you said there are a few

• Like Like x 1
  10. kekanha#4892

kekanha#4892 Active Member

really? I do not understand why wasting time, when one of the main attractions of the game is to comply with the schedules? I do not understand what you want !!!!

11. universal.chris

Everybody has their own reasons for playing the game, some people are here for the schedules, some are here for the trains and rolling stock. Schedules might be very important to you (they certainly appear to be VERY important to you), but maybe not so much to people playing freight routes. THE MAIN attraction of the game is driving trains, however there are collectibles. I personally am not into collectibles, but it doesn't mean it's not a good idea and other people can't enjoy them. I think this person had a good idea and wanted to share it, for some people it is something they would like to see in the game. I think it would be a cool novelty once or twice but after that I wouldn't use it, so selfishly I'm hoping DTG doesn't actually spend resources developing it. But your response does come across as somewhat aggressive, especially with no less than 4 exclamation marks. Settle down.

• Like Like x 5
  12. johnnyboy

johnnyboy Member

Interesting idea. Got me thinking about a multi-player option of engineer & conductor roles. Two players can work together via headset chat with scenarios that involve sorting cuts, putting trains together, delivering local manifests and bringing empties back. I bet others can come up with possible multi-player roles involving passenger services.

Of course, I am sure others have already thought of this...

• Like Like x 2
  13. kekanha#4892

kekanha#4892 Active Member

I onli say thats not the
    I'm sorry, it was not my intention to appear aggressive, it is that I am not English and I may not choose my words well. But the bottom line is the same, what do you earn by publishing your reviews on this platform ??, It is not the place for that, you have to send a ticket to dovetail. because here you can't solve your problem. or is it about expressing your discomfort ???, seriously, I do not understand what you are trying to win with that ?? give knowledge ?? I never tell you that it was a minor interest, only that you waste your time publishing it here. because normally people ask for a solution. you just expressed your bad being. And regardless of what it is, it was only a criticism, and here is not the place where criticism has to be heard, so send a ticket. I am not aggressive, I do not offend anyone, I just tell you that it is not constructive neither for you nor for us that we read your post with our time. I can't help you, it would be a simpler answer.

14. universal.chris

Oh snap! Friend, thank you for putting me in my place.
    Your insight on this topic has been invaluable.Thank you so much for contributing to this discussion, I'm glad we all got to hear from you.
    I'd like to personally apologise to you on behalf of all the other people who posted their opinion in this thread that you wasted your time reading. We are truly sorry for wasting your time.
    I didn't realize this wasn't a place where people who enjoy the game could come to discuss it and features that they would like to see.
    Take care friend.

• Like Like x 2
  15. trainsimplayer

Feedback and Criticism are both key elements of the forums.
    Feedback Threads are often some of the busiest and - in turn - more helpful to DTG.

Criticism - as long as it is actually justified (i.e. no "DTG r bad", "DTG are just lazy" "Rivet/Skyhook shouldn't be in this game!" And such) - is as crucial as feedback.

If DTG released a straight track with no scenery and everyone just sat back and said "aye, good job." Is there any point to that?

Also, tickets are for Reporting Issues and getting Assistance, we have the forums for a reason. Feedback is one of those :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. trainsimplayer

This Guard Mode/Feature would likely be a seperate feature if made; so not a case of getting up, wandering to the door panel and sorting that out, whilst also driving the train to time. Timekeeping would likely be of little concern.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

DTG have said several times they WANT people to send tickets but they also WANT people to put it on the forum.
    Why?
    Because DTG keep track of every single ticket, bunch them together and see trends in those reports, but people outside of DTV can't see whats submitted, and indeed might never raise their hand if someone didn't come on here and post about it

So in other words if you want to report a ticket. Great
    If you want to make a rant post about your glitch (with supporting pictures, video, sound, text and all that so they can diagnose and replicate the issue). Great
    If you see someone posting about something and you've heard someone else say it, or have seen it yourself, comment. Add to the discourse

Even though DTG don't respond to every comment, or even every post, they DO read them all (someone has a very tedious job...) so don't let a few naysayers put you off from venting your various spleens. They do add to it all in the end

18. Mr heff

Mr heff Well-Known Member

Don't get why people don't want this, it's pretty simple to add in and I'd find it super enjoyable.

19. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I am going to resurrect this thread, because today I figured it out that you can actually sort of play as a guard on LIRR.

If you are on foot and get on an AI controlled train, you can walk into their cab and (without sitting in the drivers seat and taking over) turn off the door control with the switch on the left control panel. After this, the AI will be unable to control the doors themselves. They will try, you can see them doing the key in->press door button->key out action, but since it's deactivated in their cab, they can't do it themselves.
    [​IMG]
    So you can just go back into one of the rear carriages and control the doors from there yourself. Passengers will get on and off, the AI will wait for you to close the doors, it works pretty well actually.
    [​IMG]
    And in situation where the platform is shorter than the full train (for example 8 car train stopping at a 4 car long platform), you can just position yourself in the middle of the train and open doors only in half of the train with the open forward/rearward doors buttons.

You can peak out the doors to check if everyone is on board and your train is on time judging by the destination displays.
    [​IMG]
    Also an ideal way to get collectibles that you otherwise wouldn't care to walk back as a driver.
    [​IMG]

I decided to try this because I remember the guard panels working was quite big news in the Isle of Wight remake from Rivet. Well looks like it can be done on a few other routes as well. I assume the same method might works on Harlem Line too.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Shackamaxon

Shackamaxon Well-Known Member

That's a great idea, will surely give it a try !

Always wondered what those 'Open Forward' buttons were used for...
    Makes sense now, Thanks !