Live Weather

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by milsomnz#7012, Jan 21, 2021.

Tags:
  1. milsomnz#7012

milsomnz#7012 New Member

I would like to see a live weather option in this game. Who agrees with me ??

• Like Like x 16
  2. Kazick

Kazick Member

This is something that train simmers have wanted for a long time in pretty much every train sim out there. So yes, I agree it's something I would love to see come to ANY train sim.

• Like Like x 1
  3. majorbuddy#9073

majorbuddy#9073 New Member

Yes please!!! Live Weather <3<3<3

• Like Like x 1
  4. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  5. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

Personally I think Live Weather is only really relevant if Live Time is also implemented, otherwise why does it need to be raining in game whilst raining in the real world if the clock is off by 7 hours (and as someone who lives in the Southern Hemisphere, I'm almost never playing a route at the same time as the actual timetable)? Also, unless you live in the actual area the route is set, does it really matter? Dynamic Weather (and a reasonable realistic RNG) would suffice for most people, maybe with seasonable variability (although even that is opposite in different hemispheres)

• Like Like x 3
  6. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Madness.
    Let’s add more complexity to the game, more things to go wrong and more to complain about.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thorgred

Thorgred Active Member

pff another useless thing live weather

i really prefer dynamic weather that would be nice enough

• Like Like x 1
  8. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

Did you read the fourth post in this thread?

9. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Personally I Dnt mind live weather however I’d really rather prefer more weather variations first. Different clouds, more nice skies , more variety.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

While it's something that could be implemented, I don't think it would be worth the development efforts as it is now. I mean you can always just look up the weather and set it yourself. And when pretty much all runs in TSW are 1-2 hours max, you wouldn't have much chance for dynamic weather change anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  11. pbandyopadhyay29

pbandyopadhyay29 Member

This is literally what I do all the time. Weather.com to look up current weather at the start location and just tweak the sliders in game till it looks about right. And yeah the runs aren't that long unless we look at some of the American freight routes where dynamic weather would be nice. I think there are maybe other priorities for development.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

I'm sure it would be possible to connect to a live feed of weather data, but those feeds aren't free for commercial use. So the money for that information would take away from actual train-related features.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dan5324

dan5324 Active Member

Live weather plus an ability to sync the in game time with either your PC/ console time or GPS time and keep it synced throughout your session.

14. BladesAndRazors

BladesAndRazors Member

Sam said in a sarcastic tone that real weather on UK routes means just raining every time.

So we don't want real time weather but changing weather during the mission.

• Like Like x 1
  15. penguinmatt#1924

penguinmatt#1924 Active Member

Changing weather on a route would be good. For example on the London to Brighton it could be nice and sunny at Brighton, but on the other side of the Clayton Tunnel it could be cloudy (or vice versa).

• Like Like x 1
  16. chieflongshin

one thing here is it needs to transition well. I played a scenario the other day and it was like someone turned on a downpour switch

• Like Like x 1
  17. JimbobQ

JimbobQ Member

If they could use aviation METAR data then its mainly just reading text and interpreting it. (Similar to how OMSI1/2 can use live weather using a text file which looks for METAR information and then presents that current weather ingame, or Flightsims with addons such as Active Sky)

For example with the London Commuter DLC or L2B. You could take the London area to run under Heathrow/London City aviation metar data, then use interpolation to dynamically change the weather between Heathrows metar, and Gatwick as you go further south into the Gatwick area. Then do the same again between Gatwick and Brighton City Airport.

The question is how would you develop that into the game which is something beyond me.

18. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

Can't imagine it being too hard. OMSI 2 came out a long while ago and as you said, has that feature.

19. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Let me know which scenario that is. There's no reason for that. The whole design of our weather system is that it transitions smoothly from state to state so it just means it hasn't been set up in that case correctly.

• Like Like x 1
  20. chieflongshin

I’ll try to find it again Matt. I’m not 100% but believe it was a Dresden journey

21. Task

Task Well-Known Member

I had this in the scenario "Falschfahrer" on Nahverkehr Dresden (sorry I can only give you the German name).

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  22. chieflongshin

Matt it happened on Wrong Road scenario. I've put a screen shot in for you, it was about 10 seconds before this point so you can hopefully find it quicker. Playing on PC, ultra settings. . It just seems like a visibly quick shift.

Nice busy scenario by the way, definitely better with HUD off
    Screenshot (124).png

• Like Like x 1