Dra Br185 + Br363 - Emergency Brake @ 60km/h

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by Hiro Protagonist, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

I'm doing the Chemical Plant Zone scenario in Journey mode on Dresden-Riesa, where you drive a BR185 with a load of oil tankers and a trailing shunter down from Riesa to the chemical works, shunt the tankers in to the plant, pick up a rack of loaded wagons and then take them back to Riesa. All works fine on the trip down, but once I've re-attached the new wagons and 363 back on to the BR185 and headed back to Riesa I get some strange brake behaviour. All loco shutdown/power-up has been done according to in-game instructions, but on the return trip if I go above 60km/h the brakes come on full (4.4bar in the 185) as if someone has hit the e-stop. Speed drops down to about 30km/h at which point the brake pressure bleeds off and acceleration slowly comes back online, again up to 60k at which point the air gets dumped again and the cycle repeats.

I know the scenario has warnings that pop up if you go over 75km/h due to the attached shunter, but I'm not even getting close to that speed on the return journey (and exceeded it on the trip down with no problems). No SIFA, no AFB, no PZB either.

It seems to have something to do with the trailing 363 after I've re-connected it, as I did a trial coming in to Riesa where I disconnected it and then could freely accelerate back up over 60k, but when I reversed and re-connected it the issue re-appeared. Although strangely enough something else must have changed as the ever-persistant high-pitched whine in the BR185 cab has now gone and it sounds like a normal BR146

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  2. sequencer2k16

sequencer2k16 Well-Known Member

The maximum permitted speed of the 363 is 60 km/h in long distance mode (Streckengang) and 30 km/h in shunting mode (Rangiergang). Above this speed it acts like the class 08 or 09 and automatically applies the emergency brakes to protect itself.

I don't understand why you are allowed to drive 75km/h at the beginning of this service,
    normally the emergency brakes should be triggered at 60km/h too.

EDIT:
    I found this: "In the case of carriage by external power, the locomotive may be towed at up to 75 km/h"

Maybe TSW 2 does not recognize this 75 km/h limit after using the 363 and therefore applies the emergency brakes at 60 km/h.

In this case, of course, it is a TSW 2 issue.

20210925114246_1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  3. breblimator

breblimator Guest

At the beginning of this service (scenario?), there is information about the maximum speed limit*. BR o7

* indeed, 75 kph

Shunter alone, like above (sequencer2k16). Interesting thing is, in other services, it is impossible to go faster than ~60, so it is hard to simulate a situation like this.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I had problems with the brakes in this one too

• Like Like x 1
  5. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Maybe this is the case. With PZB & SIFA ON there is no such problem probably (I didn't notice).
    The locomotive does not allow to exceed 60 kph (rev limit?).

6. BladesAndRazors

BladesAndRazors Member

I guess the 363 is not shut down properly. Master key off and and such.

Did the scenario a few days ago without issues.

7. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

Master switch off (it's a specific instruction in the scenario), even tried shutting the engine off but it still had the same problem (RPMs were zero but still exhaust coming out the stack so something wasn't right).

8. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Had no problem with reaching 75kph in the 185 with the 363 trailing in both directions. Must be something to do with the 363 shutdown.

9. uccarrot#6146

uccarrot#6146 New Member

First post as I think I found the answer!

When you shunt with the 363 there is a gear selector on the centre console that switches from long distance to shunting when you press the changeover switch. When you leave the cab, it doesn’t change back, so basically if the 363 goes above 30km it puts on the emergency brake.You need to switch it back to long distance before leaving

I turned on AFB and kept speed at 55kmh and had no problems after doing that

Not my favourite scenario this one…

10. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Well in TSW you cant actually change the reversing gear to the middle position, which would be required for hauling it with a loco at a speed up to 75kmh. So the "streckengang" is the only option.

75kmh is allowed when the 363 is hauled by an other loco, while the rod must be connected. Without assembled rods, the limit for hauling the 363 is 35kmh, probably because the counterweight of the wheels. Without the rod, the wheels are out of balance.