Question For People Whose Home Route Made It Into The Game.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bobbobberdd, Sep 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. bobbobberdd

bobbobberdd Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, what was your feeling when you saw your Home Route, the Route you use almost every day, in the Game for the first time?

For me (Dresden if you're interested) it was a strange feeling of familiarity and the exact opposite of it. It's kind of difficult for me to describe, especially the moment when you recognize something that was important in your Childhood. For example the Cooling Tower near Dresden Main Station, as a child I found it really cool (Pun intended) to live next to something like that. Not everyone has that, especially in the Summer the thing was really practical. It cooled the whole street. It's a bit like the inner child is coming out again. When you recognize something very familiar through new eyes.

I know the Game has its flaws and unfortunately quite a few of them at the Moment. I still want to say thank you Dovetail Games and TrainSim-Matt for making this possible for me.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

I like East coastway as that's my home route (Seaford branch), but with routes being your "home route" , you're a lot more noticeable for the things that aren't accurate.

IE Lewes footbridge is not only the wrong colour but has a roof on it. Seaford station has a petrol station opposite , and the terraced houses are wrong, Newhaven day aggs has a foot crossing etc. Things like that.

I probably played it a lot to start with then just as much as any other route a few months on.

However when the 313 comes out that will be different, and with a larger variety of traction on the BML hopefully, that will be more engaging too.

• Like Like x 2
  3. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

I think playing your "home" route is probably - for me at least - one of the more troubling areas if anything, because you can set your expectations far beyond what is achievable. Now, that isn't to underplay that sometimes there are too many errors and that just needs to be improved - but I know from my own experience when GEML was made in TS1 that initially I was hopping mad about it. Having lived in Stowmarket, spotted in Ipswich, visited Felixstowe numerous times, university in Colchester, lived in Shenfield, worked in Brentwood, and lived near (and used) Forest Gate - GEML is easily a route that means a LOT to me, it feels like i've been trying to live in as many places along the line as possible sometimes :) - but all I could do was pick endless faults with it and that prevented me from actually enjoying what is in reality a pretty darn good route. These days when I do a run on GEML I'm able to distance myself from the details that aren't quite to my memory and celebrate the ones that ARE (and there are many!) along with the fact that it just genuinely does give a good feeling of the area, and that alone is a good achievement.

There's always more work to be done, but honestly, getting your home route in the game is a mixed blessing.

• Like Like x 12
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I live in Poland and have not yet received such a gift from DTG, but I have been to Germany many times, in places that are represented in the game (recently in Bochum). I was there too briefly for anything to be remembered "photographically", and at the same time long enough to feel the atmosphere. I rate the German DLCs really high. I have already argued with a few "natives" on this matter, I understand expectations, but from the point of view of someone who is just passing through - GJ.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bobbobberdd

bobbobberdd Well-Known Member

I was clear from the Start that no route is 100% accurate, and Dresden-Riesa will be no exception. Nevertheless, that didn't dampen my anticipation.

6. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

My local is BML - I tried it ages ago on TS but I much prefer TSW so didn't go on it much. Now it's coming out, I cannot wait to play it on ps5 with TSW2 features. This is the main route I have every wanted and it's probably made my year to be honest.

Like Matt said though, keeping expectations low as i will be picky as I use the route everyday

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jonne1184

Jonne1184 Well-Known Member

Not a current one, but in the past I had to ride Köln-Aachen and back quite a lot. The route coupled with the 442 gave me Vietnam like flash backs and I still don't like driving it in TSW for that reason. When I had to use that route the 442 was being introduced and it was just a huge mess. On the weekends the trains were already way over capacity and the Talent 2 had even less space, which coupled with its stupidly low reliability led to the worst possible experience one could imagine. Oh and should you ever have managed to get a seat and did not have to stand for the whole hour, well, those seats are not designed for sitting on for more than 5 minutes anyway.

Now in regards to TSW, the route is represented really nicely, but I just don't use it for the reasons mentioned above.

• Like Like x 1
  8. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I haven’t got a “home” route in TSW, though was once a semi regular on Reading-London Paddington which I enjoy driving in TSW2. However, for many years I commuted between Chesterfield and Sheffield and so purchased the Midland Mainline route for TS1 from Just Trains with a little trepidation and have to say that I am mightily pleased with it (especially since they re-instated the Crooked Spire church which was initially and inexplicably left out.). It was certainly recognisable from my commuting days.

9. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I checked on a real map how close to Newport Bridge (modelled quite well in TVL) is to where I lived at around the time the route is set in TSW. It’s not that far away, closer than I remember, so next time I play TVL I’ll have a look to see if the scenery goes out far enough to see that area of Middlesbrough.

It’s been a good experience seeing Middlesbrough and the surrounding area in TVL but I don’t have detailed memories of the railways around there to say how well it is represented but the general feel of the area as a dying industrial town is about right. That’s how it felt while I was there and that’s how it appears in TSW. And I spent many a long hour waiting at Darlington for a connecting train and the view of the station wall from the platform is something I remember well, so that brought back memories. I used to travel over the route that NTP takes around the same time too, so that is vaguely familiar to me but not a home route.

If my proper home route ever comes to TSW, it will include my house as I’m very close to the track (somewhere on the Liverpool branch of the WCML). That will be a bonus but not the reason I would like the route in TSW, that would be for the trains and the diverse scenery having Liverpool Lime Street to Crewe or beyond would provide. Some of it would be tricky to get right but I’m sure I wouldn’t judge it too harshly if it wasn’t spot on. I’ve got my fingers crossed that it comes to TSW soon.

• Like Like x 2
  10. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I live 100 yards from Gillingham (Kent) station and previously lived in Gravesend. While the stations in the area are pretty well modelled and a few bits like Medway bridge and the submarine in the river are all produced to a standard you would recognise there are some landmarks which you would not be able to recognise

This is a pedestrian footbridge right next to Gillingham level crossing. In game it's a standard blue box thing
    [​IMG]

This is Gravesend multi-storey car park, the station wall is on the left. In game its an office building
    [​IMG]

And of course the roads outside Gravsend are... wonky?

Luckily I can live with the inconsistencies, because the stations themselves look great from the inside

11. universal.chris

universal.chris Active Member

My home route is Oakville Subdivision. I was really excited to get the CN livery. I thinks that's all there really was to get excited about. No passenger service on the GO trains. Not really any impressive landmarks.

12. Rybnicki

Rybnicki Well-Known Member

I lived for many years along the GWR, so I'm lucky Dovetail made that a flagship route on both their train sims. Other than length the route doesn't change massively - one of the reasons it's a flagship is because it's perhaps the world's least visually interesting iconic route, but the first time I played GWE on TSW I was in awe at being able to walk around actual Reading Station, where I used to hang out as a teenager, modernised now but still totally recognisable. And by far, across my train sim career, the mission I have played most is Reading to Oxford stopper on the original Train Simulator. I've never got gold. I will never get gold. But I don't remember normally being on time in Oxford on those turbos anyway, so that's ok. Love going past the power station, which alone is reason to extend the GWE in TSW (2015, so pre-demolition right?).

• Like Like x 1
  13. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

The closest station to where i live represented in TSW is Ealing Broadway.

14. thatleedsguy#8590

thatleedsguy#8590 Active Member

Closest station would be Morley on NTP. However, I was born in 2000, so can't say how accurate it is.

Footbridge is still the same, as far as I know. Signal box (?) is gone. Tunnel seems accurate, as does the surroundings

15. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

Closest station in-game for me would be San Jose Diridon, but seeing as how it is on the other side of the Pacific 12,000km away, you can forgive me if I don't know it that well.