PC Random Crash Of Entire Pc (switches Off) - Fresh Windows Install And Tsw Still Persists

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by darkman222, Sep 29, 2021.

1. darkman222

darkman222 Member

What happens: Random PC crashes. No blue screen, or crash screen. The PC literally turns itself off.
    Happened first on the TGV line when approaching the voltage changeover. I think it happedend 3 times, so it was kind of reproduceable.

Then it happened then when I was just scrolling in the main menu to select the loco.

As I intended to re-install windows, steam and TSW, I did so and hoped the problem would be solved.
    But today I played on the Lubeck line in the BR101, my character stood up of the chair, I released the Federspeicherbremse sat down, and again my PC turned off.
    Now a scenario I created myself with the BR101 on the Munich route switched my PC off.
    No other game I played had this weird issue.
    At first I was concerned that my CPU was overheating but that was clearly not the case. And it does not happen in any other games.
    Any ideas?!

Edit: Running a Ryzen9 5900x. on a MSI x570 board with an RTX 3090. Not the worst gaming rig ;) but still crashing the entire PC.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  2. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

If it wasn't for you stating that it doesn't happen with other games, I would say that you have a 'weak' PSU.
    Other than this, I don't know your problem.
    I get random crashes with the current two rush hour routes but no others. There are weird gremlins with this game!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  3. JZJ90

JZJ90 Active Member

I diagnose and fix PCs for a living, the only thing I've ever come across that causes a PC to completely turn off instantly without a bluescreen or anything is hardware related and almost always it is the system drawing too much power from the PSU and overloading it. My advice would be to firstly blow any dust out of your PSU if there is any, as this can prevent the cooling fans from cooling the components enough to provide stable output at the full rated wattage. Out of interest, what wattage is your PSU?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

With anything less than 800W, with an RTX 3090, would the system even POST?
    But yeah, I second the idea that it's probably hitting a consumption peak that exceeds the PSU's capacity. Does it do it if you leave it idling in the menus? I know there are some games that are bad for top end graphics cards trying to push their output to the absolute limit on uncapped scenes.

5. goupil74

goupil74 Member

If your PC switch off it is typically power alimentation inadequate. Use Windows power plan to limit CPU usage or AMD/Nvidia panel power plan and test if it continue.

6. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

It sounds like you have a weak power supply that needs to be replaced.

7. darkman222

darkman222 Member

That makes total sense. Weird thing is it happens in no other game. And it happened in the menu in TSW too. I play DCS flight sim and MSFS2020 in VR and 8k for hours without that happening. So from what I read here, it could be that for some weird reasons TSW creates a peak in power consumption.
    I have a power supply unit with 750W. I just read an article that the safe side for my setup is 800W.
    So execpt for the one crash in the menu, it sounds pretty realistic that a peak in power consumption causes that. Kudos to the programmer who managed to make a train sim more hardware consuming than any flight sim out there ;)

Thanks guys, great community here. Instantly pointed me in the right direction.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  8. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

That nails it for me.
    TSW2 has uncapped FPS in the menus. On Series X it drives the fan crazy.
    That's probably what's pushing the graphics card beyond what the PSU can provide, whereas those other games aren't.
    It's all about optimisation on the game's side.
    Same thing fried that batch of EVGA 3090s when people loaded the main menu of New World.

9. darkman222

darkman222 Member

That the catchword. Cap the FPS- I'll give that a try in the settings.

EDIT: Well it lasted 10 minutes with capped FPS playing a scenario until the PC turned itself off. Great, so I gotta buy a stronger PSU for this one particular simulator.
    Although it does not happen in any other game, it did not happen in TSW before I installed the 3090. I think the assumptions are correct.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  10. JZJ90

JZJ90 Active Member

Yeah the 3090 is a power hungry beast, apparently they can draw over 700 Watts themselves, so taking into account everything else in the pc that draws power you'd be wanting at least 850 to 1000 watt PSU to run everything without issues.

11. darkman222

darkman222 Member

Thanks guys for the help. Now running a 1000 watt PSU. Issue fixed.

12. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

Well I think you've got it covered there!
    Just a tip...cap your in game framerate to whatever your monitor refresh rate is (settings in game). That 3090 will probably be wasting away frames for this game.
    EDIT: Maybe then enable VSync and see if tearing is better or worse for you. :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  13. darkman222

darkman222 Member

And the issue is back :( Sorry guys for bothering the train sim forum for that issue. But you guys were very helpful in that issue before. Like I said, I am now using a 1000W PSU for my RTX 3090. It seemed that the issue was fixed. At least I hoped so. Now the issue is back. The worst experience was the PC switching off completely when I just fired up MSFS2020. I was just 3 seconds in the main menu when the PC gave up. What to do and where to look next? Defective power cables? Replace motherboard, replace CPU? Thanks in advance.

14. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

What I would try is to download MSI Afterburner, and LOWER the power limit to something like 80%. This will cause the GPU to draw less power (ofc, it will affect performance). This can give you the answer if it is still a GPU power delivery issue, or something else.

I don't know which brand of PSU you picked, but 3090 are brutal on PSUs. The spikes they can produce are very big, and it is still possibility it is triggering over current protection on your new PSU.