Railfan Tv

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by brownminiaday, Sep 29, 2021.

1. brownminiaday

brownminiaday New Member

Matt must be happy with the constant stuttering when playing his routes on railfan tv and this is on his new pc running a 3070. I wish they could sort this out which has plagued tsw2 forever.

• Like Like x 5
  2. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I believe it’s tiles loading in

3. Teflon490

Teflon490 Active Member

Yeah, but I absolutely cannot understand why this is a thing in 2021, when each WHOLE route package takes not more than 10GB (usually a lot less than that even), and we have tens of GBs of RAM and 10+GB on VRAM. Why not stick everything in the memory at the beginning, and then load everything from there for the remainder of the play? It must be doable, there is no excuse to use 15+ old technique because "it has always been like that". This stuttering while loading the next section is driving me crazy since first MSTS back in 2001, that is 20 years of the same issue!, but HW is now like from another galaxy compared to back then, so why not adapt? Does anyone understand why it is not done yet?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

OMSI has an option to load the whole map at the start (it's required to be on to get satellite imagery in the editor) and is fairly good, but hogs RAM and increases loading screen times for large maps by unbelievable amounts - in some cases it can at least triple the loading time. Remember the .pak file is most likely compressed by a large amount, so the whole uncompressed file would need to be in RAM, that's a lot of RAM required (consoles would keel over almost instantly). There's a reason the TSW editor in the past has been quoted as needing at least 16GB of RAM and that would be a very snug fit apparently.
    Would be nice to have it if you have tonnes of RAM but I doubt many people would use it. The trouble I have when TSW stutters is it distorts the sound (unlike TS1 and OMSI and the like which just keeps all sounds looping, or end them at the end of the file) which I find absolutely awful, it's the most irritating thing ever.

5. Teflon490

Teflon490 Active Member

My loading time is about 8 seconds. Even if it was 1 minute I would absolutely not mind, if the reward was no tile load.

EXACTLY THIS! I still do not understand, why TSW2020 did not have that disgusting sound hiccup when loading the next tile, it made the stuttering a lot more bearable. But in TSW2 this sound distortion nightmare begun, and even when I would most often did not notice the stutter (or learned to ignore it to a large extent just like in TSW2020), there it comes bundled with that annoying sound distortion reminding me that there actually was a stutter!

• Like Like x 1
  6. brownminiaday

brownminiaday New Member

It just spoils the playability. Out of all my games on pc this is the only one that stutters its like a micro stutter every now and again and definitely when approaching a station or zooming through the station makes it feel horrible. But as i said in the start of this post matt thinks it looks great so long as he's happy i suppose we just have to live with it. You could say to yourself well just stop playing it but I'm so in love with trains and there's nothing really anything else like this on the market.

• Like Like x 3
  7. TerryBalldriver

TerryBalldriver Member

Like you this is my biggest gripe with TSW2. No adjusting of in game settings makes a difference. So I just run in ultra in 4k and get a good 60fps. Everything looks good, just have to learn to live with the micro stutter's.

8. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I've noticed it more on preserved collection stuff, which I find a little strange - although I tend to not notice it because I don't have my volume loud and don't wear headphones, and IMO it's better with 4.26, but still annoying when I notice it.