Ffestingog Railway

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by train fan, Oct 1, 2021.

?
  1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. train fan

train fan New Member

The ffestingog railway is a narrow gauge railway in Wales it is a Picture rest line

2. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

Its a really good suggestion!
    But fill in a bit more information, pictures, locos rolling stock! Really try to sell it! ☺️ I know there are great pictures of ffestiniog!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Not a lot of pictures in here. No clue what it looks like.

4. train fan

train fan New Member

Sorry I am on phone

5. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

No idea. Sell it to me.

6. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  7. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I can highly recommend the TS22 version. Can't see it getting onto TSW though, it's a niche of a niche market willing to drive at 20mph for 3 hours if I'm honest

8. Rybnicki

Rybnicki Well-Known Member

I know a fair bit about it, so I'll help OP out.

Rheilffordd Ffestiniog is a 22km long narrow-gauge heritage line notable for its pioneering work in promoting this type of volunteer-driven revival, running from Porthmadog on the Tremadog Bay, up into the mountains at Blaenau Ffestiniog. Run by the world's longest-running railway company, its rebirth as a tourist attraction saw valuable money come into the area, fast becoming impoverished by the death of traditional industries there. Its management have provided assistance to similar projects around the world, going from a labour of love viewed with suspicion by railway administrators and government to a beloved icon of living history.

[​IMG]
    Ffestiniog Railway at Tan-Y-Bwlch, colorized, 1900 (pub domain)

The Ffestiniog railway dates back to 1832, and was originally constructed to transport slate from the newly-constructed mining town of Blaenau Ffestiniog (pronounced like Blina) down to the newly-constructed port of Porthmadog. The current route is not exactly the original, but more on that later. Its gauge is a touch under 2ft (1'11.5" or 597mm), to match that down in the slate quarry, and was at first hauled by horses. In fact, steam came relatively late to the line because such a gauge was thought unsafe for steam locomotives.

When steam did arrive, it did so in style. While not the first steam locomotive to operate on the line, Robert Fairlie's double loco was an innovation, designed to haul the increasing loads of the railway, and introduced concepts still used in the most modern locos. Two power trucks, an 0-6-0 formation (meaning all axles are drive axles for full power output) and capable of being driven just as well in either direction, the Fairlie saw success around the world but began its life here in Gwynedd.

[​IMG]
    Fairlie locomotive David Lloyd George in Porthmadog, via wikipedia

The introduction of steam also enabled passenger services to commence, with tiny, low carriages sandwiched between groups of loaded and unloaded wagons as seen in the picture below. These were soon replaced with the UK's first iron-frame bogie carriages, some of which survive to this day. These passenger services proved popular, with the LNWR promoting them to boost traffic on their North Wales line with its branch down to Blaenau.

[​IMG]
    The Princess locomotive waiting at Porthmadog Station, 1870 (pub domain)

By the mid-1920s, demand for slate had almost entirely disappeared and the line, together with the Welsh Highland Railway which was bought out by the FR board, became increasingly reliant upon passenger trade. This was mainly limited to summer months, as those wishing to travel ordinarily from Porthmadog to Blaenau by now had faster, more comfortable options on the improved roads. The FR at least still had some slate traffic, which saved it from closing entirely like the WHR. However, World War Two loomed, and the resulting loss of any passenger traffic at all put the line on borrowed time. The war ended, slate deliveries ended and the line sank into ruin. It would have most likely suffered the usual fate of a useless line and been torn up for scrap, except for an administrative oversight. When the Act for its construction was passed, they forgot to include any mention of how or when the line could be closed, and the Festiniog Railway Company was by now too poor to petition for a new Act, so were left with no way of disbanding, nor of removing the line, no funds to maintain it nor proposal that would bring investment for restoration. This was pre-Beeching, and this impasse would not be fixed from above.

In 1954, Alan Pegler was appointed Chair of the company, and if you have ever ridden a heritage steam line or narrow-gauge railway attraction in the modern era, you should know this man's name and be grateful to him. Under his leadership, a team of volunteers began the process of cutting the weeds back, re-laying track where necessary, and bringing the railway back to a point where it was once again ready to welcome tourists. There was inevitably a problem though - the British Electricity board had identified part of the route of the railway for flooding, in order to create a reservoir and hydroelectric power station. As the FR's own website say, "At this time the Authority regarded the Railway’s directors and supporters as mere amateurs ‘playing trains’ and compulsory acquisition of the line above Moelwyn Tunnel went ahead in 1956." Eventually, after an 18-year legal fight, the railway company successfully sued the BEA for their lost land, helping the project advance still further with the extra money.

[​IMG]
    Site of the old line with the Moelwyn Tunnel visible in the distance (Bob1960evens, wikipedia)

Undeterred, Pegler and his board re-opened the railway from Porthmadog as far as the reservoir, and set to planning their next move. A team assembled to build a new bypass around the power station, and continue the route back up the mountain to Blaenau. Working by hand, often with no prior construction experience and driven by their enthusiasm for the project, these volunteers became known as the Deviationists. Their story is told in The Architecture the Railways Built, a great documentary series if you're into railways. If you're in the UK or can pretend to a computer you're there, you can watch the episode here.

Eventually, with a small army of tin miners, enthusiasts, former quarry workers, engineering contractors; and with grants from the UK and EEC, in 1982 - 30 years after the project began, 110 years after passenger services began and almost exactly 150 years after its Act was first granted, the route to Ffestiniog was once again complete, and tourists flooded back. Quickly the line became one of Wales' foremost attractions, inspiring similar projects including the FRC's full reconstruction of its sister Welsh Highland Railway. Work didn't stop on the original line, either - automatic signalling has been added, along with automated level crossings and general improvement of the buildings and related assets.

[​IMG]
    Wikipedia map of the current full route with demolished lines shown

Overall, OP is right. This is indeed a 'picture rest' route. It's steam though, necessarily steam (even though diesel engines are currently in service on the line) and absolutely cannot be made in TSW until that is finally implemented. However, for its historical and contemporary importance, this would be an absolutely lovely way to kickstart that era of the game. For the rolling stock - of course, the loco has to be a Fairlie. You could have one of those, a restored Princess as seen above, and perhaps one of the little slate quarry diesels that still serve around the line. For the passengers, it has to be an original iron-framed bogie car, as seen below. Scenarios could include passenger runs (about 90 minutes for a full end-to-end journey) and a recreation of a slate transport from the 19th century (perhaps slightly quicker, they got up to 40mph in those days), all the way from Duffws down to the harbour.

[​IMG]
    'Carriage 15', a restored 1873 passenger carriage (Martin Ellis vis Festipedia)
    [​IMG]
    'Moelwyn' diesel loco in 2016 (pub domain via Festipedia)

Anyway, hope this is a bit more flesh for you all, it's a simply lovely line and while I don't think we're likely to see it in TSW soon, it is available on TS, though I've not tried the route so cannot vouch for its quality.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

If anyone wants to have a look at the quality of the route for TS22 then I've a video right here

Given the modest price tag and the fact this is an indie route I'm sure you'll all agree it stunning

10. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

If TSW was going to get a UK narrow gauge route this should be it, along with Welsh Highland. However I would suggest we are unlikely to see anything like this until the game can support steam traction.

• Like Like x 1
  11. train fan

train fan New Member

They could add the whr and layered on withe the fr

12. xi haoyu china

xi haoyu china Active Member

No it look bore for me. But to be less bore it need to be faster but my opinoin

13. train fan

train fan New Member

Well that your opinion i find it fun