Speed Limit Aps

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Sharon E, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

As I was watching yesterday's stream on Brighton Commuter I was noticing as Matt was driving the 377, and using the speed control, he was going slightly over the set speed on down hill stretches and was getting docked 15 points for "driving over the speed limit". I have noted this same thing in scenarios that I have run. It seems that TSW2 is set so it you go 0.1 mph/KMh over it docks you. TS allows up to 0.9 over before it starts docking points. My question is should DTG adjust this setting to allow some leeway for periods where you will drift slightly above a limit.
    I tend now to drive 3 - 5 units under the noted limit. Guess the safe thing is set you speed to the next point under the limit to preclude this happening.

2. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

No? TSW does let you go 70.9 in a 70 limit for example, and here he is going downhill with the speedo still white, despite reading above the blue line and red speed limit marker:
    upload_2021-10-2_17-9-51.png

Have I missed something?

3. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Right, the only indication that you have exceeded the speed limit is the deduction of AP's not that the HOD shows yellow on the speedo.

4. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

The game is rounding up to the nearest whole number. So for example say we're running on a 25mph line and we're doing 25.3mph, that'll be rounded to the nearest whole number which is 25 whereas if you go up to 25.5mph, it'll round that up to 26mph and consider that speeding because it's closer to 26mph than 25mph.

I don't think the speedometer needs changing as real drivers don't drive to the decimal point. I'd say the timetables need to be relaxed slightly so that the player doesn't have to full throttle, keep to the limit precisely and then brake hard at stops to keep time, this would allow a slightly more relaxed drive style. Some routes are worse for this than others. The upcoming London - Brighton timetable also seems to have taken this into account too.

5. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

That's because other routes have a computer determined auto-generated time which is often incorrect. Joe has done the timetable manually and not allowed the computer to auto-generate the timings so there's more leeway with London - Brighton.

6. HaibaraHariko

HaibaraHariko Active Member

The scoring system was changed in an update. For example, if the speed limit is 20 mph, you can only go up to 20.4 now or you will only get 15 points. It used to be 20.9 before the update.

However the HUD wasn't changed at the same time and it won't turn yellow until 21 in this case.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Yes. Going downhill with any kind of cruise control enabled (like AFB) will always result in overspeeding. I doubt in real life drivers would be penalized for such small bits of overspeeding. The only way to prevent overspeeding is to either set cruise control lower (that's usually 10km/h lower on AFB) or drive without cruise control, which I doubt is realistic either.

Not that I care much about the whole action points and levelling system, but it's pretty weird for the player to get penalized for driving realistically. Unless some real life driver tells me I'm wrong and they actually do set their AFB 10km/h below speed limit when going downhill. :P

8. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

They don‘t use AFB downhill in the way you imply. AFB is used less like a true cruise control and more to prevent accidental overspeeding. While descending any significant gradient, you‘d use the electric brake (if available and strong enough) or the train brake to manually stay a few km/h below the speed limit before AFB starts interfering.

9. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Doesn't AFB automatically use the electric brakes? At least that's what seems to happen in the game.

10. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Yes, but you don‘t let it do that. At least in real-life, AFB would apply the brakes hard and fast on a significant gradient and then immediately release them again. This saw-toothing is prevented by a continuous manual application of the electric brake. If you want to see this in-game, a Br 182 going down the Spessartrampe on MSB shows this saw-toothing at its worst.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. anthonycsheehy

anthonycsheehy New Member

Yeah - Someone has adjusted the points to dock when you appear to be driving at the speed limit and it's making me miss gold on some scenarios.

And the timetables are too tight - but saying that, driving British routes, if we weren't always late, it wouldn't be realistic! ::rofl::