Do I Need More Ram

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by ionutmineadaniel, Oct 3, 2021.

1. ionutmineadaniel

ionutmineadaniel Well-Known Member

Is 8 gb of RAM enough for London Commuter or should I upgrade to 16

• Like Like x 1
  2. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

8GB of RAM is too little for a Windows 10 PC full stop.

If you can afford it, then you should definitely purchase more.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Lion-Face

Lion-Face Member

Minimum and Recommended spec for TSW2 is 8gb of Ram

CPU and GPU upgrades would provide the most benefit towards performance, while more Ram, it appears, won't help very much if at all.

4. MisterV

MisterV Member

While a CPU or GPU upgrade will of course be a more noticeable upgrade I would also argue that 16GB of RAM is the minimum anyone gaming on PC in 2021 should have.

• Like Like x 2
  5. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Agree.
    8 is like running a marathon in tight pants,
    Doable but not recommended.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

If you're out of RAM, your PC will start using the pagefiles on your HDD, and those are really slow compared to RAM, so the game will start stuttering really bad.

As others have said, you're better of with 16GB of RAM. 8GB is barely enough for most games nowdays.

7. Lion-Face

Lion-Face Member

No arguments, if you are out of RAM, performance will suffer. More games these days are requiring 16GB as a recommended spec. The question was in regards to TSW2 and not other games. If you have excess RAM, you won't see any performance increase either, the game uses the amount of RAM is uses and having extra doesn't change that.

Windows 10 minimum requirements to run is 2GB of RAM on 64bit. TSW2 appears to uses approx 2.2GB of RAM while running. 8GB is more than enough headroom to run windows 10 and TSW2. But, if you are running other background programs, you may find 8GB becomes a squeeze. So no harm in having more than 8GB RAM to cover whatever your PC is running at the time of running TSW2. However, if you have your background processes under control and manage what programs are running, then 8GB is more than enough and going to 16GB won't see any improvement in game performance.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. PeteW

PeteW Active Member

I would suggest 16GB is a reasonable amount at the moment. If the OP really has 8gb i.e. 8 gigabits of RAM (= 1GB) it's far too low.
    I realise I am being pedantic. But it's a pet peeve of mine because when it is less obvious that the information is inaccurate, it can cause all sorts of confusion. Not sure if network speeds will always be measured in bits per second. Until that is not so, it can be confusing.

9. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

They're telling porkies. 16GB hard minimum, if you want more than around 10 fps on München-Augsburg or Clinchfield or the Rush Hour routes

10. ionutmineadaniel

ionutmineadaniel Well-Known Member

Thank you for your help I ordered a second RAM module hope that it will make a big difference