Third Party Repository

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Corvan, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

They still seem to have a register page?

But if they aren't accepting new users, should some subscribed user start archiving all of the important stuff from there so that it isn't lost? I suspect such a thing means the site is going to go kaput any day.

2. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

Looks like registration is possible:

https://www.uktrainsim.com/common/newuser.php

3. Cyclone

Yes, I found that too. But I'm trying now to figure out what vital items are in their collection that I could use. I did see someone on one of the sites in this thread - I think Lord Bickerstaff - posting Journey Packs, and I think some scenarios use UKTS offerings, but also a lot of AP trains are on those. Could still be worth saving those away somewhere for a day when I have more of the AP collection, with relevant notes in case the site ever goes.

4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The best bet is to get an account but not necessarily paid one, because at some point you may need one of the clutter packs for a 3rd party route and if the login / registration is down at that point it's quite irritating

5. inversnecky

I needed to download eight or so ukts packs for a couple of routes, thankfully they haven’t needed to be augmented since.

6. ARuscoe

Then for the few quid it costs to get a month of unlimited downloads at high speed, it's worth it

• Like Like x 1
  7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

UKTS does accept new members - there are quite a few people on this forum that have only joined in the last year or so.

8. olsbyn

olsbyn Active Member

I have tried registering for over a year several times, I have also tried contacting them asking them to contact me via e-mail or here at the official forum, I have tried password recovery just in case I missed a mail.. no response at all, and to answer the obvious: yes I have checked my spam folder, every single folder actually. Maybe it's just me they don't want as a member :p

9. inversnecky

Is this not one of the sites where they say not to use a certain email provider as they have issues?

10. olsbyn

olsbyn Active Member

That might be, when googling it's more like there's only certain e-mail providers you can use, the issue of not being able to register dates years back. Some posts say you can't use gmail, some says you can't use hotmal, some says you can't use yahoo.. I'm exited to know what you actually can use

11. inversnecky

I’ve lost track now, but there was one you couldn’t use btinternet emails with.

ETA: UKTS is that one:

F5A3D7F2-8A4C-4609-A190-3BB9AA169676.jpeg

12. Cyclone

BTW, I have created an account there without seeing your post. But I tried to do my first download, of a 138 MB route needed for a Lord Bickerstaff Journey Pack. There is still a 500 MB one to go. The first is set for eight hours, for 138 MB. If I'm going to pay anyone, I'd pay the guy who made the route to e-mail it to me, not pay a site that refuses to upgrade its infrastructure. I already asked Lord Bickerstaff to bail me out of a 24 hour download with inconsistent Internet connectivity and send me the 500 MB one, and I'm scared to try the Ayr Valley one at its own 417 MB. The site is fine for scenario packs, but routes really need to be given more bandwidth.

• Like Like x 2
  13. olsbyn

olsbyn Active Member

@inversnecky
    Ok, we'll see, I used my gmail adress earlier, I just tried registering on a second e-mail service I use, none of the above, I'm a bit excited but I'm not holding my breath :D

14. ARuscoe

That's odd, I was able to download that sort of file in less than a minute from UKTS last year so unless their recent "upgrade" caused some issues... Maybe ask MattP who runs the place?

15. Cyclone

It's their download queues. I'm a new user and am still in the new user queues. What changed at UKTS? Should everyone be getting better speeds now? I'm in a concurrent downloads area where, depending on the number of users downloading (max 10), you get as little as 5 kbps. I'm discovering that my later evening period, where the UK sleeps, might be a good time for me to download larger files.

16. ARuscoe

Ah, Sorry, thought you'd bought the download uncap rather than just signing on

17. inversnecky

Even, then, no guarantee! I was downloading I think it was an ambient sound pack of 100 odd MB, left it to download overnight, then found in the morning that it had cut out and I had to restart the download.

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone had made all these files available elsewhere without this palaver a even Google Drive or something could host for free, and you wouldn’t have to worry about bandwidth. Think someone had said they’ve on that torrent site, but have never used that yet.

18. olsbyn

olsbyn Active Member

I'm now on day one using a different e-mail provider to try register at UKTS, with no reply, maybe they just don't like norwegians :p Anyway, I'll stop spamming the thread with useless posts now, so people can actually navigate to the more usefull posts.

19. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Ask TrainSim-Matt - he might be able to help and as I copied him in he will see this post
    It might take a little while if he is busy

20. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The amount of people who will splash out hundreds of pounds/euros etc, on this game but still want stuff for free and now,
    If you can not be bothered to wait for you download on UKTS pay a mere ÂŁ2.50 for a full months of high speed unlimited downloading - you would be able to download most of what they have there

https://www.uktrainsim.com/index2.php?form_reader=subscription
    "Subscription?! It's not FREE???
    Nope, and rather than repeat all my other discussion on this topic I'll invite you to read the File Library FAQ as I've put a discussion in there about why we charge subscription. If you still have any (nicely worded) comments then please feel free to drop me a mail!

There's a lot going on by supporting this site by subscription - a lot more than you might think. By subscribing to the site you are not only helping to keep this site going and pushing it from strength to strength you are also letting companies like Microsoft, Abacus and JustTrains know that people are prepared to spend money on this genre. As we all would prefer everything to be free, if companies can't see any interest from the public in spending money they will focus their efforts elsewhere.

Your support of this site means that we are establishing very positive relationships with these publishers, allowing us to offer reviews, previews, product announcements and even competitions with prizes donated by the publishers."

• Like Like x 1
  21. inversnecky

Did you check your spam folder?

22. olsbyn

olsbyn Active Member

I always do

23. SJA

SJA Active Member

It's a no-brainer. The doors open to many excellent freeware routes and freeware extensions with that ÂŁ2.50 (the current South Western Expressways extension to Reading, WCML South w/ Northampton Loop & Bakerloo on ATS, Bedford-Bletchley, Birmingham-Bristol, Crouch Valley, Railways of Devon & Cornwall; just a few examples)

24. decrepitts#7027

decrepitts#7027 Well-Known Member

Oho! Thanks to an earlier entry I now know it's my yahoo email that's kept me from registering (or rather having registration validated) at UKTS for nearly a year. Don't know that it's worth creating a second email account with another email provider just for one site. I'll mull it over a while.

25. ex-railwayman

ex-railwayman Active Member

I opened a new account at Protonmail.com, they are based in Switzerland, you can get it for free, I have it for train sim and flightsim DLC, etc, it's fairly good as it isn't a widely known company, so, the amount of spam is very low. The email site is widely accepted by most of these 3rd party websites, I haven't been refused by anyone, yet.......lol

Cheerz. Steve.

• Like Like x 2
  26. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You seemed to be misinformed - I'm registered at UKTS with a Yahoo email address
    Have you bothered to contact them?
    If they sent a reply to you which you missed and did not acknowledge do you think they would still be waiting for your response?

27. decrepitts#7027

decrepitts#7027 Well-Known Member

Aye, I contacted UKTS, or rather I sent them messages. Whether those reached their target or not I've not way of knowing. And yes, I double-checked for responses at every attempt (including my SPAM folder). I was very diligent about that. I'm curious to know broadly when you joined, simply because I've read elsewhere that these validation snafus are a 'somewhat' recent development. Thanks for responding!

28. Cyclone

I am not sure how active UKTS administration is these days, and I do not think Matt has as much involvement there as he did in the past. One thing is for sure, however; I can download a heck oif a lot more from RWA in an hour than I can from UKTS in a week. Not that I or anyone would, of course, because that site also has download limits.

29. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I think your information might be incorrect as Matt spent a lot of his own time, with help, rebuilding the servers and databases of UKTS.

30. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

More recently they are suggesting you use the Discord method of contacting UKTS/Matt
    https://discord.gg/mattplaystv

• Like Like x 1
  31. Cyclone

He's still involved? I never said I know the details, just my suspicions based on current activity.

32. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

UKTS forums are still glitchy.

33. Cyclone

Just had to acquire my first download from TreinPunt today, a Class 66 GBRf Reskin. Found a WCMLSv5.2 scenario pack requiring it for some nine of the scenarios. Now I'm curious what else is there.

34. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  35. Cyclone

Now that is very interesting. And this seems to be a site I forgot to grab stuff from given the England run of downloads for me lately.

36. Traction Studios

Traction Studios Member

• Like Like x 6
  37. andy.malcolm

andy.malcolm Active Member

Recognised the station on your front page straight away, very nice! Look forward to that route when it's done.

• Like Like x 1
  38. Blacknred81

39. Traction Studios

Traction Studios Member

I'm looking forward to sharing it with you!

• Like Like x 1
  40. Blacknred81

41. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

Can I finally be included in here? :)

42. Cyclone

Did you bring cookies?

43. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

Of course, double chocolate chip.

• Like Like x 1
  44. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Keep your cookies, I want the 47!

45. trainguy27

trainguy27 New Member

46. animalkosmik

animalkosmik Well-Known Member

47. martschuffing

Beautiful route! 45 Euros though is a tad out of my price range.

48. Cyclone

I agree here. 45 Euros? We pay $45 CAD for a route on Steam, or $39.99 USD in America, at most (the only exception being the Met, better bought directly from JT anyway). As such, 45 Euros would convert to an insane amount of money for a 66 km route. This is way overpriced.

49. martschuffing

It is exceptionally detailed though, for some that may well be worth the extra money.

50. Cyclone

I sense there is also a ploy planned to offer a "sale" and that sale price is exactly what they would have charged anyway if not for the possible markup, and as such, they actually make more from a certain subset and never feel the need to discount it to normal sales type prices to get more people to buy it. To them, it's a total win. Problem is such high prices could have an adverse effect, and I don't think I have to tell you how record companies know that well (with $20 CDs giving way to single tracks sold for 69 cents apiece).