Shadow Draw Distance Xbox Series X

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by t.reizner35, Sep 30, 2021.

1. t.reizner35

t.reizner35 Active Member

I am finally playing on the Xbox Series X the game looks fantastic but next to the well known and already been worked on stuttering cab graphics I got a question. Why are these little shadows and the shadows on the track still popping in right infront of the train? I mean the big shadows have a far shadow draw distance and the small once still apear right infront. Does this make sence?
    HRD.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  2. benuildo

benuildo Member

Same on PS5. Makes no sense for me either. It is not very immersive. I would prefer more pixelated shadows or no small shadows at all instead of those popups, but I really think this should be no problem on the current gen consoles.

• Like Like x 3
  3. t.reizner35

Ok thats so crazy, at least the shadows on the track could be removed if they cannot get this done to draw them far out. This would be smoother instead of them appearing right infront. In case of the small shadows I think a bigger draw distance should not be the problem if it works with the big ones. Maybe this has something to do with the memory use?!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Boris The Frog

Boris The Frog Active Member

Series X|S (and PS5) has just highlighted how poorly optimised / outdated the core engine actually is and I think now that TSW seems to have gathered a little more momentum DTG have a much lesser need to appease the small section of PC gamers who insist that everything they have ever purchased must carry forward into future releases and really push the game on to the next level. Like it or not, these guys have to accept TSW is no longer a niche 'hobby' game played by a select few, it's a fully fledged all formats mainstream simulation that doesn't deserve to be stuck in the past.

In my eyes a brand new core engine with massively improved capabilities is far more important than having the ability to play preserved content.

• Like Like x 2
  5. t.reizner35

Thank you very much for this information. Anyway that's sad because of this the game is not looking so smooth.

6. Boris The Frog

A lot better, yes, but only in the sense that they're just less bad than they were.

You can still see details (foliage etc etc) drawing at ultra short distances, trees still flicker (winter), max shadow distances still don't extend beyond the length of most trains and the lighting effects are still either too bright/overdone (dawn/dusk) or too dark in daytime shadows. Sure, some improvements are there on current gen but not to an amount you would expect from consoles with those levels of performance. I know it's early days with the S|X thing but in saying that I personally am already seeing massive improvements with both smart delivery upgrades and dedicated stuff - and not just from the 'big boys'. Ride 4 for example now looks absolutely stunning with the improved textures running at 60fps....and that's from low budget developers who just churn out annual shovelware! The difference of course being that their core engine had already been fully optimised and was next gen capable.

....which beggars the question: Instead of spending all their time adding this and this and this into a game engine that already struggles to cope, why don't DTG just fully optimise what they have (to a point where we don't see the above issues) and then determine what levels of incidental extras can be added to maintain framerates and stability?

I know that, due to restrictions and limitations, visuals have traditionally been the major compromise within the development of all games but unfortunately we have now entered an era where, well, for the time being historical excuses are no longer applicable. If a game looks poor or performs badly the game is at fault and not the hardware. Sadly, by today's standards TSW2 looks poor and performs badly.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  7. t.reizner35

Yeah somehow sad that sometimes it takes away a bit of realism und fun playing the game, the best thing is to play with weather were there are less shadows :D

8. Yorkshirelad

Yorkshirelad Active Member

UE4.26 at the time of the new core update being released was the most up to date version of UE4, UE5 isn't out yet, and 4.27 has only just come out, TSW2 is pretty well optimised, well at least on PC anyway.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Boris The Frog

No, this.

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/boris-the-frog/video/144717054

That isn't next generation gaming by any stretch of the imagination, that i'm afraid is borderline garbage.
    Look, it's got nothing to do with how well TSW may look on a top end PC, it's all about taking a game and optimising it for hardware that *cannot be upgraded* in such a way that it looks and plays to the very best said hardware will allow. As it stands at this particular moment in time (on XBox) the audio is broken and requires a lengthy fix, all aspects of video quality are falling to pieces, the game crashes constantly and all in all the game is an absolute shambles in pretty much every department....so yeah, not exactly taking a PC game and porting it to consoles in a way that it fully utilises the potential of the hardware, is it?

10. Boris The Frog

It was the same pre-update (on X1X and Series X) and happens on most routes to some degree or other. You can't really blame it on the fact that it's one of the older preserved routes either because LGV is a TSW specific addon!

I do admit that the CTD's have been much less frequent but I personally went thru a phase of near constant crashing whilst trying to wrap up the achievements for Peninsular Corridor and HRR (I gave up on the latter) and users are still experiencing similar crashes on other routes so it's clearly a problem.

You know, I absolutely hate knocking TSW but since the upgrade things seem to be going from bad to worse and with no resolution in sight for many of these new and ongoing problems there comes a point where you've just had enough. I haven't bought a single item for the game since Cathcart and have no intention of adding to my collection for the foreseeable future simply because I just can't force myself to give DTG any more of my money towards a game that is working like it is now...an absolute travesty for a game that started with so much promise but has just ended up as yet another quantity over quality title.

• Like Like x 2
  11. t.reizner35

Ok this is really looking crazy this has for sure nothing to do with next gen gaming. At least my game hasn't been crashing yet.