Great Western Commuter: Reigate To Basingstoke And Newbury Via Reading

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by trainsimgaming1001, Sep 27, 2021.

?

Would you buy this

Poll closed Oct 11, 2021.
  1. Yes

62.5%
  2. No

15.0%
  3. If it is on discount

15.0%
  4. Only if it is set pre-gwr and has FGW

7.5%
  1. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

This route would Feature the 14 Mile Route from Reading to Basingstoke, the 36 Mile Route from Reading to Reigate, and the 36-mile line from Reading to Pewsey for a combined length of 86 Miles and would be set in 2019, when the Electrification to Newbury was Finished and both HST and the Class 800(02) were running.

Lines:
    As the Name Suggests, this route would Feature Reigate to Reading, Reading to Basingstoke, and Reading to Pewsey, with a Combined Length of 86 Miles

Trains:

By standard, this route would come with the IET Class 800 (for Reading to Newbury), the Class 387 (for Reading to Newbury), and the Class 165 (for Reading to Basingstoke and Reigate).

Here are some Pictures of the Above:

Class 800:

[​IMG]
    Class 387:
    [​IMG]

Class 165:
    [​IMG]

Potential DLC

Class 450:
    [​IMG] (SWR)
    [​IMG]
    (SWT)

To maximize Realism with this loco DLC, and if licensing allows it, it would include both the South West Trains and South Western Railway Liverys, given that currently, trains operate with both.

Potential Layers:
    This route has a Layer Opportunity:

The Famous Class 43 HST.
    This would be layered in from Great Western Express and would substitute the Class 800 on Reading to Newbury Services

Conclusion

Overall, this would be an interesting branch. It would run from Reading to Pewsey, Basingstoke, and Reigate. The unelectrified line after Newbury (or wherever it ends) would allow for the Simulation of the Power Switchover in the Class 800 Units, allowing for some variety.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  2. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

I would buy this in a heartbeat. The Basingstoke branch will allow for a link with any future SWR route as will the North Downs Line at Guildford with a complete network when you connect to Reigate and the BML.

• Like Like x 2
  3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

You did North Downs Line Reigate to Reading via Guildford followed by GWML Reading area and the Reading to Taunton Railway line to Newbury and Bedwyn 25kv 50hz. Class 165 layer to GWML London Paddington to reading and Brighton Main Line Reigate to Gatwick Airport Railway station.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Not sure about this one. I feel like the route would have to be longer to justify the inclusion of the Class 800 (not all services stop at Newbury and the journey time from Reading is only about 20 minutes) and lots of the stations would feel bare without any Southwestern Railway trains (again including the Class 444/450 is not ideal as they would only be used on a small portion of the route). Perhaps if we see a route out of London Waterloo in the future, then this route could connect them together to GWE and BML with trains layered onto such.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I said no, because none of the route you suggest would allow the stopping patterns on HST or 800 to be incorporated properly. People complain that there's only one stop Paddington to Reading, so why would they rejoice at a 16 mile hop?

• Like Like x 3
  6. trainsimgaming1001

I thought about this so I added the line to Pewsey, a major stop, to allow for more Variety with the 800/HST services. It would have the Power Changeover in the 800s, which would be quite interesting

• Like Like x 1
  7. ARuscoe

Pewsey... a major stop...?
    I think they change over before then to go up the Oxford line but Pewsey isn't a major stop by any stretch of the imagination

• Like Like x 1
  8. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Pewsey is on the West of England line, not towards Oxford. However you're right, Pewsey is neither a major station, nor does it have any electrics to have a change over.

Perhaps a touch on the long side, but Reading - Cheltenham Spa would be my preference. Or extend (I know, this word gives DTG a heart attack) GWE to Oxford. Both give a number of extra stops, would allow a changeover etc...

9. ARuscoe

Yeah, got that mixed up... It's around Cholsey / Didcot they head North. Pewsey is down by Westbury (Wilts)

I would prefer extend to Swindon (42 miles) and then Bristol etc
    Gives a bit of flexibility 800 wise and a few regional trains too

10. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

The issue with Swindon is that Reading to Swindon on a high speed service isn't an exciting drive. It's a fairly consistent speed, and only one intermediate stop on some services.

There's no local services towards Swindon past Didcot (with the exception of the few early morning / late night Swindon Cocklebury empties). Swindon - Bristol is a bit more interesting however.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ARuscoe

Which would be the "next extension"
    And to be fair, Reading to Oxford isn't really that interesting unless you live near there, I think the point with HS services is that it doesn't actually matter where DTG build, High speed services are only "interesting" because of, well the speed.
    Zooming through everywhere on green lights at 125 is hardly an inspiring driving experience

12. trainsimgaming1001

I mixed up Pewsey and Westbury while researching :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

I Also assume the 166 can layer in as well, differs mainly from the 165 in being a 3 car set

14. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

And being air conditioned when new.