Link Light Rail: Northgate - Angle Lake

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Passarino, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Passarino

Passarino Member

Hi everyone, I am back with my second route suggestion for TSW2! I hope this one is more polished, as I believe this route could really belong in TSW2, and it would add a new level of transit to experience.
    Link Light Rail: Northgate - Angle Lake

About the Link Light Rail:
    The Link Light Rail is a 24 mile long rapid transit system, serving 19 stations in the Pacific Northwest state of Washington. The Link's first service of the day begins at 04:15, with the last beginning at 01:30, the following morning. In total, the Link makes 140 trips Northbound, with 125 of those trips being full services stopping at every station. The Southbound direction receives 122 trips daily, with 114 of those trips being full services. The Link's rolling stock consists of 184 Light Rail Vehicles (LRVs), of 2 differing models. The line's operating speed peaks at 55 MPH (89 KMH), and follows a 2 track standard gauge route, with 1,500 V DC overhead catenaries feeding both tracks.

TSW2 - The Route:
    The route for Link Light Rail consists of 19 different stations, 9 of which are underground, 5 at-grade, and 5 elevated stations. In addition to this, the Link has a dedicated maintenance facility in the SODO district of Seattle.
    [​IMG]
    A full list of the services run by the Link Light Rail can be found here: https://www.soundtransit.org/sites/default/files/documents/schedule-link-light-rail.pdf

TSW2 - The Rollingstock:
    Now comes the star of the show, the rollingstock.
    [​IMG]

Kinkisharyo 70% Low-Floor LRV
    The Series I fleet consists of 62 Kinkisharyo 70% Low-Floor LRVs. These LRVs are often run in 4-unit long consists during peak hours, and are designed to reach 58 MPH, while able to accelerate at up to 3.0 MPHPS/decelerate at up to 3.0 MPHPS. The units weigh 51 tons when empty, and are designed to fit up to 74 passengers per unit. More precise information can be found here: http://www.kinkisharyo.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/ST.pdf

[​IMG]
    Siemens S70 Low-Floor LRV
    The recently implemented Series II fleet brought 122 new Siemens S70 Low-Floor LRV units to the system. The information available on these units is either not yet available or may be incorrect, as Siemens has not publicly uploaded a reference sheet for the Link Light Rail specific models. However, all other variants of this model are able to exceed 59 MPH at lower voltage than the Link system provides. Information on different North American LRVs by Siemens can be found here: https://www.mobility.siemens.com/gl...t-rail/light-rail-vehicles-north-america.html

Additional Photos/Media:
    [​IMG]
    Tukwila Station
    [​IMG]
    U District Station during construction (now finished and operational)
    [​IMG]
    Mount Baker Station
    [​IMG]
    Sound Transit's Operations and Maintenance Facility
    [​IMG]
    Pioneer Square Station

Conclusion
    From top to bottom, the Link Light Rail would be a fantastic addition to TSW2. The Link Light Rail would be a nice DLC for many reasons. The simplicity of the dual track system with 19 stops and limited services would make it a relatively easy route to take on, without being completely void of challenge. The architecture that the stations present proves to be eye candy at every stop, whether it's 80 feet below surface level, at-grade, or towering over a neighboring freeway. The Link Light Rail is a beautiful testament to the Pacific Northwest's creativity and innovation all in one trip, and for that it would make a great piece in Train Sim World's collection.

• Like Like x 1
  2. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea furthermore you can bundle this with another idea of yours Seattle-Tacoma commuter rail due to both routes meeting each other at International District Chinatown King Street station complex. Sort of like how DTG can link GWR with Bakerloo line via passageway London Paddington another community suggestion. Electrified to 1.5kv DC overhead contact System Like LGV Méditerranée line Marseille Saint Charles area. Reason for this is that all other alternating current overhead wire routes are 11kv 16.7hz Rhb Arosa Line 25kv 50hz Cathcart Circle inactive GWML London Paddington to reading and Northern LGV Méditerranée. 25kv 60hz Boston-Providence 15kv 16.7hz all Deutsche Bahn Netze routes in Game

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Very good, I couldn't have made a suggestion as well as you've made. Along with just being an awesome route in general for being in the Pacific Northwest, this seems like the kind of route that would be amazing for Train Sim World. It has a lot of appealing things about it, such as:
    - Lots of variety on the route, with elevated tracks (Angle Lake - Tukwila Int., Mt. Baker, and Northgate), street running (Rainier Beach - Columbia City), and underground (International District/Chinatown - Roosevelt)
    - A very nice Seattle skyline between Beacon Hill and SODO
    - The architecture at some of these stations really is great. Adds a lot of personality to them.
    - Overall a very busy American passenger route

It's great, I can even imagine a fun little feature where you can tap an ORCA card at a station and hear a "beep" :)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jack Battin

Jack Battin New Member

I would love the light rail! I think it would be just wonderful :D

• Like Like x 1