Gwe Train Does A Knebworth At Swindon

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kim1087, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Kim1087

Kim1087 Well-Known Member

Passengers force train U-turn after GWR Knebworth's Swindon

A train returned to Swindon after passengers triggered emergency alarms when they passed the station.

The supposedly, packed 2.19pm Great Western Railway (GWR) service from Penzance to London Paddington was scheduled to stop at Swindon on Sunday (October 3) and sparked a tyranny when it failed to do so.

Passengers force train U-turn after GWR service misses Swindon stop - Wiltshire Live

2. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Interesting story but what’s the Knebworth reference?

3. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Doing a Knebworth refers to what once happened on a TS stream where Matt completely forgot to stop at Knebworth on the ECML south route. Since then station overshoots on streams have been referred to as 'doing a Knebworth'.

4. Kim1087

Kim1087 Well-Known Member

To qualify as a Knebworth you have to forget to stop and go shooting past the station.

5. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Not quite. Stops were removed due to heavy crowding. Not all passengers left the service at Bristol, and these passengers activated passcoms when the train went through the station.

6. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I see, so a Knebworth is “doing a Natalie” and then some ;)

7. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I thought it was illegal to pull the emergency cord when not an emergency?

8. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

My understanding is the train was not booked to stop at Swindon being a Diverted West of England Service due to run Non Stop Taunton to Reading - it made an unadvertised stop at Bristol for a crew change and presumably passengers piled on thinking it was the next stopper when in Reality it was next stop Reading.

Because of the high frequencies on that line there is a tendency to pile on the first train - which is how I ended up next to someone wanting Swindon on a Westcountry service going down the Berks and Hants - Next stop Taunton