Few Ideas To Improve Scoring

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by redrev1917, Sep 4, 2021.

1. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Scoring
    1) A maximum score provided for all scenarios and timetable services - seeing as it is so easy to get Gold (or the very least silver) we have little idea of how close to perfection we ran the service.
    2) Split scoring into differing categories and then a combined score - eg timetable adherence, speed limit, correct following of signals, correct use of the horn/bell.
    3) Previous scores shown clearly - To enable to us to see our own improvements(regression) when rerunning services.
    4) Freight service routes expected run duration - A par time so we can guage our performance against.
    5) Global leaderboard for the most challenging service on each route - so we can compare ourselves against others.
    6) Bonus points for using safety systems/onboard signalling - reward us for using the expert settings.
    7) Convert all scores to a percentage and show us our average score across each route and overall.
    8) Monthly prizes for differeing metrics each service specific, one month - time table adherence on Amtrak 66 for example, another month speed adherence scores on Q353. Doesnt have to be a big prize something fairly simple like a special "limited edition" livery for the loco in question.eg
    upload_2021-9-4_3-34-51.jpeg
    upload_2021-9-4_3-33-15.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  2. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Personally I think the scoring system should just be removed . It isn’t realistic . Irl , train drivers don’t have a scoring system , so there is no need for one in tsw

• Like Like x 2
  3. drahnoel

drahnoel New Member

I think it's a good idea. I myself play TSW2 as realistically as possible (turn off hud etc.) But it's still a game and that's why such a system alone would give additional motivation.
    And now who would complain about special liveries.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I couldn't disagree with this more. In real life, train drivers have to abide by speed limits and stop accurately at stations even if they don't get scores and medals for it (although they do get paid). If we were playing TSW with zero feedback about how we were performing then there's no incentive to try and improve, to re-run routes, master systems or to drive appropriately.

If you have no interest in them, you can ignore the number values you're being awarded, but removing them from the game would make a lot of players zone out pretty quickly - gamification of the process, including hunting PSN trophies etc, is what keeps a lot of people coming back for more and if they stop coming back, there will be less money in the pot for dev and new routes.

• Like Like x 4
  5. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

If you use CTRL + 6 on a keyboard you can hide the score counter from gameplay. This also works for consoles if you plug one in too.

I think scoring needs to account for safety systems, giving extra points for successful confirmation of Sifa/AWS or following PZB/ACES/ATS. To account for this change in the scoring system, a Platinum medal could be added that can only be reached with the extra points awarded by using the safety systems correctly.

• Like Like x 4
  6. drahnoel

drahnoel New Member

Another example, I played some lins in TSW 2020 just to get the dioramas (SPG, NTP, I don't understand GB and US signals so well).

7. niiiice1

niiiice1 Member

Re: all of the above. I think if people aren't bothered about the scoring, it's ok, just turn it off or ignore it. If people are, and it gives them something to aim for, then it's a good idea. I think that applying a different scoring system or changing what is scored / medal awards etc. when using the full safety system of a particular train is a really good idea though. Not sure how it would work unless it is possible to ensure that it tracks that the safety systems are all unisolated etc. throughout the length of a given run but I guess that doesn't sound like a major issue?
    Would it work differently in different countries: i.e. UK has AWS/TPWS etc, but DE is a little more complex with LZB, PZB, SIFA?

Sounds like a good idea though!

• Like Like x 2
  8. LondoSpark

LondoSpark Member

THIS!!!! Seriously: I would love to see a score multiplier for the additional difficulty/challenge of running with safety systems on. It would entice more people to try the safety systems in my opinion. Personally I stayed away from them previously because I would score less by running with them on and was a little overwhelmed with them. Adding a multiplier would have prompted me to try them earlier and given me even more fun with the game.

• Like Like x 1