Length Of Signature Files

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by LeadCatcher, Oct 6, 2021.

1. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Just a polite request of a long time Usenet and Forum user concerning the length of signatures on post.

Can we keep these signatures to a reasonable length? I has seen some over 18 lines long… seriously doubt anyone reads them more than once and especially for prolific posters with excessively long signatures, it becomes unwanted spam.

I know I can just skip over them, but being one who was around when an RFC on “Netiquette” was written, this is just a polite request. Seriously to scroll past a post that has a single line or two of content followed by 18 lines of boilerplate signature which few will read after the first time and adds nothing the current topic of discussion does get tedious.

Thanks for your consideration of this request.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 16
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. BjornGroen02NL

BjornGroen02NL Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree on this one. It's annoying as the signatures of some users really distract from what the actual message reads. That's why I try to keep mine short, and not in distracting colors. I've seen some users use an eye-burning red color in their signature before which adds to the distraction factor even more. It's like those unskippable ads in mobile games. I'd like to see a moderator reply to this, as I have reported several users before on having too long signatures but nothing happened.

• Like Like x 3
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

A bit like floating buildings in game, annoying but not "game breaking"...
    I prefer short and sweet but some people prefer to spam forums with their message (not realising it means people pay less attention not more)

• Like Like x 4
  4. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Vanity publishing.

5. JZJ90

JZJ90 Active Member

Thankfully they don't show up on mobile, which is what I usually view these forums on. I was shocked when I scrolled through on PC the other day and saw all these novels and coloured text and so on at the end of a lot of posts. I agree that it did distract from the posts quite severely, so I was very pleased to be able to disable signatures on PC and get back to a nice clean and tidy experience.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

how do you hide signatures on PC? (I browse on mobile more due to the fact I don’t have to see the signatures)

7. heardturkey

heardturkey Active Member

Left click your username
    Left click preferences
    Un-tick 'show peoples signatures with their messages'
    Click 'save Changes'

• Helpful Helpful x 4
  8. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

+1 here. The Amtrak unlimited forums have a cap on the size of signatures and very welcome it is to. I can't recall of it's 4 or 5 lines. But it's sufficient without getting irritating

9. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

Thank you :) now I can use my laptop as nicely as my phone.

10. kevin.charb81

kevin.charb81 Well-Known Member

Agreed. An exhaustive list of all the DLC you own, along with every thread you’ve ever started adds nothing and only hinders.

• Like Like x 2
  11. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

thats great if you dont want to see any signatures, but I like to read some signatures especially from modders etc, by turning them all off you will miss some good nuggets

• Like Like x 1
  12. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

How do you access the forum using your mobile, last I look it was not offered using TapaTalk

13. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

So same I was doing :-(

14. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

Agreed 100%, I'm on a lot of car forums and everyone puts their build threads in their signature, general rule of thumb is 5 lines max and (for those that allow it) a small picture (usually not taller than the 5 lines). Too many signatures here are longer than the posts themselves, and with little distinction between the post and signature if you're quickly skimming through it can be hard to tell what is what.