Raildriver Why Are There So Many Inconsistencies

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by paul.pavlinovich, Sep 19, 2021.

Tags:
  1. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

Today on my stream I ran a medley of trains showing off those with Raildriver since the core update. I kind of cherry picked to show off a point, that there is much inconsistency in how Raildriver is handled from loco to loco. It would be great TrainSim-Matt if this video could get reviewed as it shows the frustration of the controls changing when they don't need to, using levers backwards etc.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Illegal Prime

Illegal Prime Member

I think we just need to be able to rebind and customize the gating of the controls, such as triggering when a specific notch is selected so I don't for example always go into notch 4 accidently on the 314. Also the binding on the 101 is just wrong, why isn't the Independed brake the gear lever, it would make the 101 so much better to drive!

• Like Like x 3
  3. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I agree with you about the need for custom bindings in general and some of the brake/throttle controls can be very inconsistent. But I have to disagree about the Class 101. I think it's fine as is with the gear control in the right place ( of course I'm a southpaw). The independent brake is used for other things such as AFB and I would have liked it for the ACS 64 cruise control, if DTG hadn't inexplicably left it out.

• Like Like x 1
  5. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

+1 for custom bindings here.

For example in TS1 I use the range toggle button (above the alert) for PZB acknowlegde & the E-stop toggle button for PZB Release, as for me these are the most logical positions for them as my fingers are close to the SIFA button and I can use my left hand for all 3, I'd love the ability to be able to use the same bindings that I use in TS1 in TSW2, Ive given up trying to replace the labels between locos due to the fact Id be forever doing it!!

• Like Like x 3
  6. Illegal Prime

Illegal Prime Member

To clarify the loco in question is the British Rail Class 101, NOT the Bauruiline 101. The Gear lever on the BR Class 101 is a multi-position lever, not a flip either way lever like the SD40 selector. This means that it would be far better to put the train brake on the corresponding lever for the raildriver and have the independent brake lever serve as the gears. Having a flip switch as multi position handle is not very good IMO, especially when one of the main levers sits unused.

• Like Like x 2
  7. jayzhead

jayzhead Active Member

Raildriver support is poor. No other word for it. Over a year now that it's in beta, and all locos that had obvious bugs in their mappings have not been fixed, not one. They just release and forget. On to the next one. At least the recent releases seem to be more consistent with one another.
    Also, remember once upon a time Matt was writing about how important it is to implement user-customizable mapping and how that's gonna be their next priority for controller support? Not a word about it since then, no changes have been made, it is not even on the roadmap. Not to mention that there are still many locos that are completely unsupported. If they'd just let us map it ourselves, the community would have probably got everything working properly within a couple of weeks... but what are you going to do, beggars can't be choosers. We just have to do with what we've got :|

• Like Like x 3
  8. paul.pavlinovich

I don't mind the gear controller on the range switch, but I do wish it was up the other way. The up/down paddle could also be used for gears.

9. paul.pavlinovich

That's not strictly true, at least 20 locos have had key binding changes over the releases and there have been lever changes as well with some of them. Reminds me two more came out in the big update today I need to get them into the sheets.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. jayzhead

jayzhead Active Member

Yes, you're right. There are changes after release, usually they come with the bugfix release that follows the route initial release. Like the 112 being updated with the H-L bugfix update. But still there are many lingering bugs. The LIRR M3 and M7 for example still have a mess of safety systems switches that don't function as advertised, with some having unintended double-action.

FYI, took a drive on the newly released London Commuter. Seems like a fabulous route, lots of traffic. But - the raildriver mapping had me banging my head on the table within a minute of driving. The electrostars on East Coastway had mapping for the speed control once they finally got RD support (7th blue button in the top row to toggle on/off, the up-down rocker switch to change speed). And guess what? The new version doesn't have 'em. New much improved sounds, physics seem to be better as well. But the mapping, that was working fine - gone. Just as I finally got used to it. Typical :| And it's not like they are mapped to different buttons - I wish. They are not in there at all. Those buttons just do nothing now.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Illegal Prime

Illegal Prime Member

And to think all this could be solved if we could just rebind the buttons and levers!

Edit: I've been driving the new 387 and so far it's ok, a bit too easy to put into P4/Emergency but not bad, my main issue is that there is no keybind for the depot whistle, the alerter button still takes a second to reset the AWS, and the supposed button for door close does nothing.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 3