Brighton Commuter [1st Stream Feedback]

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mattty May, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Wow!

Having just watched the Brighton Commuter stream featuring TrainSim-Matt, DTG Natster and Joethefish, only one word comes to mind. Wow!

The timetable that Joe has built is quite frankly phenomenal and his passion for getting this route spot on was abundantly clear for everyone to see. The sheer volume of services is just insane, but hugely welcome. The number of trains coming into and out of Victoria was a joy to behold. I’m also a fan of Joe’s keen sense of detail, adding in extra PIS info, buffer wagons and the BR Class 09.

The timetable wasn’t perfect, a distinct lack of freight services, but this is very easily forgiven knowing that Joe worked pretty much every waking hour making sure what we did have was as good as we are getting.

In terms of scenery, I didn’t personally notice any issues. The route looks absolutely stunning, especially around Victoria, but the whole route just looked fantastic, with some very detailed stations along the way. It was great seeing and hearing the planes coming into Gatwick. It’s going to be a lot of fun around there. I wonder if Gatwick itself is modelled?

There were some very deep FPS drops at certain points, which is always a worry, so I will be paying particular attention to this on release. I play the PS5 version on PS5 and have noticed quite a few frame rate drops on Cathcart and Munich as well as Dresden, Koln and Southeastern. Given the PS5’s power, these FPS drops are definitely disconcerting and something I hope can be addressed with further optimisation in the not too distant future.

The sounds were great, although I noticed the sound kept dropping off every now and again. This was likely a consequence of the stream more than anything else, but certainly something else I will be keeping an ear out for.

I have a funny feeling the 313 will see services to Hove. Matt did mention that the route effectively terminates in the tunnels before Hove, but Hove was clearly on the map and there is a reason why Joe couldn’t talk about his favourite service. Maybe some additional testing is needed before the 313 is released before they can commit to anything.

I’m also fairly certain Thameslink will see the light of day. We got the usual, nothing is being planned spiel, but clear space has been left in the timetable similarly to the space left for the Acela in Boston Sprinter. If we don’t see a Thameslink DLC in the not too distant future, I’ll be very surprised.

All in all, Brighton Commuter is shaping up to be the best DLC in the game and it is well worth the price of the season pass alone. DTG has certainly saved the best until last and I cannot wait to play in less than a weeks time.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 20
  2. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

I agree. The route looks great and the sounds are better than ECW thanks to the AP Electrostar sounds.
    The new PIS inside and out is a welcome addition.
    The timetable is just jaw dropping (1400 for PC and current gen and around 1200 on older consoles).
    Scenery wise, I did notice the uneven roof tiles on the viaduct (as seen in another thread on here) but not much else. It was great to see the cranes at Battersea power station had been reworked. Planes flying over the line at Gatwick with good sounds of jet engines is a definite bonus.

I did also notice the frame drops at points in the stream but I guess it can't run at 60fps all the time given the amount of information it has to load in (game needs more optimisation).
    I think the gaps in sounds we heard on the stream were actually the sounds looping and not an issue with the stream audio.

I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on my controller and having a blast on the route. 1400 services will keep me occupied for a very long time. I actually don't think I've fully completed a route on TSW yet as I swap and change routes all the time.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

Yes it did look very good

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. mattchester#9176

mattchester#9176 Well-Known Member

I'm completely with you on this, it looked fantastic.

Regarding the 313, did you notice Matt seemed confused at the start of the stream, thinking he hadn't got all the DLC installedwhen looking at the ? My guess is he's used to having the 313 available in his dev build.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. dan5324

dan5324 Active Member

Must admit it looked amazing. Though it will be interesting to see how the PS5 version looks. Especially with frame rates and missing scenery etc.

The thing I noticed was is that it felt like the BML. Some routes they’ve released haven’t really had that feel. This one did. The line side foliage was great too! Again, hoping this all Translates to the PS5.
    It’s gonna be a long week!

• Like Like x 3
  6. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

I agree with all your points matjamca - I have been rather anxious over the past few months on what the first stream would look like, and this has completely satisfied me, bring on Thursday! :)

Here's my feedback that I had posted in a similar thread:

I'm really happy for what I've seen on the preview. However, just a couple observations:
    - As mentioned by others, the cab didn't go dark in the tunnels.
    - No PIS was shown at Wivelsfield - though according to the stream it does look like we can drive to/from here.
    - No PIS for ECW AI at Brighton, will AI for ECW/WCW services be included before final release?
    - Noticed in the timetable that there is no Southern-operated services between Gatwick and Victoria via the slow lines - only a very few are operated during peak times. Would be nice to stop at stations like Horley, Salfords, Earlswood.

These are not complaints at all, just observations for potential feedback. Other than this, I'm happy.

• Like Like x 3
  7. kevin.charb81

kevin.charb81 Well-Known Member

With the 166 from GWE will the mileage from London-Brighton contribute to the 1660 mile achievement?

• Like Like x 2
  8. johnmcglade30

johnmcglade30 Active Member

Wow it was so amazing well the route will keep me busy for a long time and I like the sounds at the airport and bring on Thursday

• Like Like x 4
  9. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Yeah the achievement is linked to the train, you could put the 166 on LGV Med and get the trophy that way, or more realistically do so on the BML.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Not long to go now before we get to play this route.

• Like Like x 5
  11. tcmikaelsouza

tcmikaelsouza Well-Known Member

I'm really looking forward to BML, I've been looking forward to this journey ever since cosmetici played TSW2 on EC.

Estou realmente ansioso pelo BML, estou ansioso por essa jornada desde que comecei a jogar TSW2 no EC.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Observadorpt

Observadorpt Active Member

This is an english forum so speak in english to everybody can understand what you are saying.

13. tcmikaelsouza

tcmikaelsouza Well-Known Member

Hello friend, sorry, I'm Brazilian and I use google translator to communicate with you, and probably I should have copied the text in Portuguese instead of in English.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Observadorpt

In understant you, im portuguese but other users not.

• Like Like x 1
  15. phillipa#1949

phillipa#1949 Active Member

Looks goodapart from the fact that PS4 & Xbox one owners are are getting slightly less services

• Like Like x 2
  16. Observadorpt

Buy an ps5 or xbox series x.

17. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

Yes only two more sleeps lol.

18. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

Very excited for the route now after the stream. Seeing so many services at Victoria go in and out, will be amazing to have it busy!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Scotrail156467

Scotrail156467 Well-Known Member

1.200 services is still a lot of services should be happy and not complain remember it's old technology and memory/ram

• Like Like x 1
  20. phillipa#1949

phillipa#1949 Active Member

funnily enough i got one (ps5) & did download the ps5 upgrade for TSW2 looks lovely & Sharp graphic wise frmae rate is good as well.

Just one Question i would like to ask can you transfer your PS4 file save to the newly upgraded ps5 version?

• Like Like x 2
  21. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

No, unfortunately you can't transfer save data from the PS4 to PS5 at the moment. DTG are apparently looking into ways to do this though.

22. Nielsen

Nielsen Well-Known Member

Visually it looks great, BUT there are nearly always some nasty issues with new routes immediately after launch. Let’s see.

For now I just wish DTG had kept the route names they first revealed for Rush Hour. Brighton Mainline instead of “London Commuter”. This name may as well apply to any other London route in the game.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  23. JealousSheep768

JealousSheep768 Well-Known Member

Yes because of course everyone can just brandish 500 quid

• Like Like x 3
  24. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

At the moment the price isn't the biggest issue with those two consoles...
    Was that on the in-game map? If so, it doesn't mean anything, because the track was likely only laid for technical reasons and not for a secret branch they haven't told us about yet. They don't always hide that track on the map, so it confirms nothing.

Hove would also be a pretty pointless station to add anyway, since only one service can be played in its entirety on that branch... The Brighton to Hove shuttles.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  25. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Matt also confirmed that Hove would be unplayable, however there were scheduled 4 - 7 minute Brighton to Hove runs in the timetable, so who knows.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

4-7 minutes seems a bit long for the shuttle.

27. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I mean there’s Lovers walk services that are 4 minutes too.

I also believe these were Hove siding ECS moves with the 387, and not passenger services.

In any case Matt completely shut down the use of Hove last week, so I definitely don’t expect it, I’m just curious as to what those services will be for, *if* they remain present on release.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  28. WonkySausages

WonkySausages Member

I was asking in chat about 4 little stations that are on the Reigate/Three Bridges line (Earlswood, Salfords, Horley and Balcombe) and was told by someone from the YT stream (who was under the name Joe Burgess, if you're here - Hi! Cheers for trying to help me figure this out, though you're names not on the staff members bit in the forums which is why im posting here) that no services in the game will stop there! I get that they're served in the majority by Thameslink, but there are a few evening services from Victoria that stop at those stops. I know those possibly divide at Redhill which I suppose could be a bigger issue in game. I dunno I still feel like something should stop there, I mean there's a HST that passes Clapham, which is way more rare than having a couple of services stopping at stations on route :D I dunno maybe i'm just being a grump

Other than that teeny tiny little disappointment (cos I love having long services that stop everywhere :P ) I cannot wait to play this, and do think i'm going to be putting a lot of time into it :D

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  29. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

Ah you mean Joethefish, he is the creator of the Brighton Mainline timetable.

• Like Like x 2
  30. Joethefish

Joethefish Staff Member

I couldn't tell you on stream because this is too much text for the chat lol

• Like Like x 1
  31. johnmcglade30

PS4 Brighton mainline we are having sound issues with a class 377 and also the car 387 sound issues it sounds like the same issues was on the and also so one of the scenarios will not let me complete it 1m03 can we have a fick as soon as possible please thank you

32. johnmcglade30

12 trains wall stand at a red signal for a long time because on one of the other trains are not in Victoria station brockley we cannot complete this scenario

33. WonkySausages

WonkySausages Member

yeah i had a guess it was because of splitting at Redhill.

How about adding just a couple of services, like first thing in the morning, or last thing at night - aka the drunk peoples express, when not too many trains are around, that stop at all stops to Brighton, or Gatwick, or Three Bridges (which I'm sure Southern did at some point) even if its just a 4 car 377, it will feel authentic i guarantee it :D

I'll keep my fingers crossed! Btw, I assume you can create a scenario in scenario planner and let us pick Earlswood, Salford, Horley and Balcombe as stopping locations? :P

Cheers for the reply Joethefish :D

34. Joethefish

Joethefish Staff Member

I'm not really sure about scenario designer. I mean I haven't done it so I really don't know, sorry!

• Like Like x 1
  35. Task

Task Well-Known Member

Joethefish Is there a reason why the Class 166 services are split in half? It’s not like TSW can’t handle switching the cabs right?

36. Joethefish

Joethefish Staff Member

Literally that reason. I mean, the player can. But the AI would literally reverse all the way to Gatwick. Even with the taillights facing forward...

If you have Cathcart, you may notice trains from the depot driving into Glasgow Central with taillights on and the AI driver in the rear. That would happen on BML had the services not been split.

• Like Like x 3
  37. Task

Task Well-Known Member

Oh that‘s unfortunate. I hope the tech can be expanded for the future.

Thank you for your answer :)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  38. mattchester#9176

mattchester#9176 Well-Known Member

Looks like I called this right given todays news! 12 additional services added for PC and Gen 9 consoles.

I'm a bit concerned how my PS5 will cope at Victoria with ANOTHER train. They really need to fix the crashing / low FPS issues before this gets released!